Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Problem : Nexus Dock and menu Items
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:54 pm 

Hi All,

I am a new Nexus Dock user, but longtime user of RocketDock. Nexus has satisfied most of my needs, but I am having some issues with dock items that display menus. The issue are:
    - The text of the menu items are very small, can I configure them to appear larger?
    - The menus open next to the icon and not above which obscure the dock.

I have attached a series of pictures demonstrating the above issues.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
File comment: Figure 1 - This is how RocketDock with KKMenu displays items. Can Nexus be setup to display this way?
RocketDock.png
RocketDock.png [ 450.45 KiB | Viewed 19857 times ]
File comment: Fig. 2 - This hides dock items. Would be nicer if it appeared ABOVE the doc.
winstep3.png
winstep3.png [ 199.79 KiB | Viewed 19857 times ]
File comment: Fig. 3 - Notice how the menu item is over the dock.
Winstep.png
Winstep.png [ 49.29 KiB | Viewed 19857 times ]

Post subject: Re: Problem : Nexus Dock and menu Items
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Adrian.

Text size in the menus is defined by the theme, although menus are automatically scaled up on systems with high DPI settings. Other themes might use larger font sizes.

Can you please post a screenshot of the About tab in Preferences?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:01 am 

Thanks for the quick response!

Are existing themes something that I can modify? if yes, where are they located? I am not afraid of modifying them if it is possible.

Here is screenshot of the About screen as requested.

Attachments:
File comment: About Screen
About.png
About.png [ 168.46 KiB | Viewed 19849 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, ok, so you're running Winstep Xtreme, not the free version of Nexus.

I found it odd because Nexus does not allow menus to be skinned, and I couldn't find the email address you used to register to this forums in the Winstep registrations database (you used a different email address when you purchased Winstep Xtreme).

Anyway, themes are not that easy to modify: it's not just a question of modifying the font size, but also the size of menu 'buttons', etc... (otherwise you just get a big gigantic mess of text piled up on top of each other) plus you must know what the differently named entries in the configuration files do, etc...

While I don't dislike the idea of adding a menu scaling option to the next release (not that difficult to implement since Winstep applications are already fully high DPI compatible), as I stated above your best bet *for now* is to use a different theme, one where the menus feature larger fonts. You can combine different themes for menus, docks, etc...

Also, I couldn't help to notice that the text size used in menus is the same text size used in the Explorer window featured in your first screenshot: if you have no trouble reading text in the latter, you should have no trouble reading text in the former either - which makes me think this is more a question of preference rather than poor eye sight (i.e.; necessity). ;)

Otherwise you could simply increase your screen DPI from 100% to 125% or something like that, which would make everything on your desktop look bigger.

As for the menus overlapping the dock, your dock is at the bottom of the screen, right? I'll see what I can do for the next release too. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:37 am 

You are correct in stating it is a matter of preference. I have been using RocketDock for YEARS and old habits die hard. I will try your suggestions.

I did find the ability to alter font size for the NextStart stuff (which totally confuses me so I haven't bothered with it), but those changes had zero effect on the dock menus. weird?

As for the overlap issue, thank you for the consideration.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:28 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jorge, NextSTART scaling would be great - in fact, I mentioned it before. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:

Yes you did, just implemented menu scaling, and am now fixing several menu scaling issues (which also plagued menus automatically scaled up on high DPI systems but I hadn't really noticed until now because I always run at 100% DPI).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, tested nearly all the themes I had here and fixed all the issues I could find. Looking really good - a handful of themes might have issues when scaled up, but that is due to problems in the original configuration.

Should have added manual menu scaling a long time ago. In NextSTART you can scale the menus via a new slider in the Menus tab in Preferences. Need to find a place for that setting in Nexus/Nexus Ultimate/WorkShelf too.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:51 am 

I just want to make sure no one misinterprets that I'm saying not add to the feature. Someone please explain what the point is of having the context menu not overlap the dock.

I'm confused because in my mind, if you open the context menu and it hides behind the dock or something else, how are you going to see what's in it? :?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:21 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
I just want to make sure no one misinterprets that I'm saying not add to the feature. Someone please explain what the point is of having the context menu not overlap the dock.

I'm confused because in my mind, if you open the context menu and it hides behind the dock or something else, how are you going to see what's in it? :?

It's simple, Windy. :) First, it's not concerning context menus as such but rather, NextSTART menus opened from the dock. The point is, they'll appear next to/above/below the dock (depending on its orientation), rather than overlapping it.

Hope that clarifies it. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:40 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Yes you did, just implemented menu scaling, and am now fixing several menu scaling issues (which also plagued menus automatically scaled up on high DPI systems but I hadn't really noticed until now because I always run at 100% DPI).

Wow, that's quick! But how the heck do you manage with 100% DPI on your 43" 4K monitor Jorge!? You must have better than 20/20 vision still! ;)
winstep wrote:
Ok, tested nearly all the themes I had here and fixed all the issues I could find. Looking really good - a handful of themes might have issues when scaled up, but that is due to problems in the original configuration.

Should have added manual menu scaling a long time ago. In NextSTART you can scale the menus via a new slider in the Menus tab in Preferences. Need to find a place for that setting in Nexus/Nexus Ultimate/WorkShelf too.

Yes, menus really needed scaling, much more so than shelves so would have been nice some time ago. (I somehow sometimes get the impression that NextSTART has/had become a sort of second-class denizen of the suite, when really it is about the most powerful, versatile, and useful component.) The thing is, the text sizes of some menus' themes is awfully small (I'm guilty, too), and because of the colour scheme can easily become almost impossible to read.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:24 pm 

nexter wrote:
It's simple, Windy. :) First, it's not concerning context menus as such but rather, NextSTART menus opened from the dock. The point is, they'll appear next to/above/below the dock (depending on its orientation), rather than overlapping it.

Hope that clarifies it. :)

I went back and REALLY took a hard look at the first pic the OP posted. I think now I understand what was being asked.

I didn't realize that the first pic is RocketDock and the context menu is above the dock. I thought the OP was showing that Winstep was overlapping the Explorer folder in that pic, and overlapping the dock in the second and third pics.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

adrianq wrote:
- The menus open next to the icon and not above which obscure the dock.

Ok, I've fixed this as well for next release.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:41 pm 

Just pulled down the new update and the menu scaling works GREAT!

Thank you very much for your quick response.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My pleasure, it was a long overdue option anyway.

Also, you should notice the menus no longer overlap the middle of the dock, they will always pop up above or below the (non magnified) icon area.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]