Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:36 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Ok, I have one question for you peeps:

Of the settings that are currently individual to each dock and Shelf, which do you think should really be made global (i.e.; once selected, apply to all docks and shelves) ?

For docks - Running Indicator; the high DPI settings; Show full right-click context menu options

For shelves - Show full right-click context menu options; switch shelf mini-tab functions (already on your list of course); the high DPI settings

That's about all that immediately comes to mind

N.B. - And you still have the wrong descriptions for the poll options Jorge! It's text arrangements and fonts that are the issue, *not* backgrounds, which we can change anyway. ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The high DPI settings are ALREADY global. You can see the little global marker next to them. Likewise for the full right-click context menu options.

When I mean making them global I don't mean removing the options from where they are - their positions already make sense EVEN when they are global.

Some global options are present in the Properties dialogs of *all* docks and shelves because that's where the user will expect to find them, and not buried in some dialog inside general Preferences.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:51 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
The high DPI settings are ALREADY global. You can see the little global marker next to them. Likewise for the full right-click context menu options.

When I mean making them global I don't mean removing the options from where they are - their positions already make sense EVEN when they are global.

Some global options are present in the Properties dialogs of *all* docks and shelves because that's where the user will expect to find them, and not buried in some dialog inside general Preferences.

Right, makes sense. Hmm, can't really see anything else as many users may want to set up different shelves/docks completely differently? Personally, I would tend to configure all identically except of course for content (obviously) and positioning and related settings.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:
GS Stutter this happens very occasionally and not always in the same way.

I already told you that Winstep applications should NOT be used with Networked items, and I already explained why too: the Winstep application is single threaded and Windows takes a very long time to retrieve information from the network.

Ahah! Guess what, I found a solution! :D

There's a new flag (well, new to Windows 7, but the original routines were coded long before that) that allows a sort of async enumeration of networked items.

So, now the Grid Stack opens immediately and it slowly expands as more items are discovered on the Network and added to it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:51 am 

winstep wrote:
winstep wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:
GS Stutter this happens very occasionally and not always in the same way.

I already told you that Winstep applications should NOT be used with Networked items, and I already explained why too: the Winstep application is single threaded and Windows takes a very long time to retrieve information from the network.

Ahah! Guess what, I found a solution! :D

There's a new flag (well, new to Windows 7, but the original routines were coded long before that) that allows a sort of async enumeration of networked items.

So, now the Grid Stack opens immediately and it slowly expands as more items are discovered on the Network and added to it.

Sounds cool the way it should perhaps work. Hold horses but As always cant wait to try that out.

These connections that you complain about being slow are windows default settings for my network.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
Of the settings that are currently individual to each dock and Shelf, which do you think should really be made global (i.e.; once selected, apply to all docks and shelves) ?

Personally, here are the settings I think should be made global:

EVERYTHING in the Behavior tabs of docks, Shelves, Drawers and Grid Stacks (and this would also include everything inside the More Options and Sub-Docks dialogs) EXCEPT the Auto-Hide and Activation settings that are truly specific to that dock/shelf (i.e.; if it should auto-hide, how to activate, activation hotkeys) and the 'Show on Win+D' setting.

Here is the reasoning behind this: while it's true that people like to customize the look of each and every object, generally they like the actual *behavior* to be consistent across all the objects. As a case in point, we have the left/right mini-tabs settings.

Now someone try presenting arguments why this shouldn't be so.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:30 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
winstep wrote:

EVERYTHING in the Behavior tabs of docks, Shelves, Drawers and Grid Stacks (and this would also include everything inside the More Options and Sub-Docks dialogs) EXCEPT the Auto-Hide and Activation settings that are truly specific to that dock/shelf (i.e.; if it should auto-hide, how to activate, activation hotkeys) and the 'Show on Win+D' setting.

Here is the reasoning behind this: while it's true that people like to customize the look of each and every object, generally they like the actual *behavior* to be consistent across all the objects. As a case in point, we have the left/right mini-tabs settings.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of it - totally agree! Behaviour should, ideally, always be consistent across all objects of the same type. But I'd guess we'll hear some if not lots of complaints arguing the other way....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't dream of it - totally agree! Behaviour should, ideally, always be consistent across all objects of the same type. But I'd guess we'll hear some if not lots of complaints arguing the other way....

Good! I want to see other points of view I haven't perhaps not thought about yet.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:49 pm 

winstep wrote:
winstep wrote:

i dont think 'prevent shelf/dock from being dragged...' should be global
also 'how do you want your sub docks to open' setting is something someone might want to be per individual basis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
also 'how do you want your sub docks to open' setting is something someone might want to be per individual basis

Hmmm... If I make *all* the options in the Sub-Docks dialog global, that would solve a lot of problems (like not having a Behavior tab in the Properties dialogs of sub-docks and Grid Stacks).

Anyway, in the mean time: added ability to detach 'Grid Stacks'. Just don't try to detach them by clicking directly on the tab header text and dragging, that will resize the Grid Stack - you must click on a blank area of the tab header (or an empty part of the body).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:27 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:

Hmmm... If I make *all* the options in the Sub-Docks dialog global, that would solve a lot of problems (like not having a Behavior tab in the Properties dialogs of sub-docks and Grid Stacks).

well i for one have some subdocks open parallel to parent while others perpendicular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
well i for one have some subdocks open parallel to parent while others perpendicular

Why? Wouldn't the 'always horizontal' or 'always vertical' options do?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:53 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:

Why? Wouldn't the 'always horizontal' or 'always vertical' options do?

actually no, some of them are vertical some horizontal :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:

Sigh. Why do you have to be like that? lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:57 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:

Sigh. Why do you have to be like that? lol

http://prntscr.com/ldr6el

because showing subdock perpendicular (or horizontal) would make it overlap with the second dock under its parent

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 45  Next