Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:36 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:
nexter wrote:
The smaller definitely looks better, but OTOH the font appears very small to me. The screen estate used here seems irrelevant as it's not on screen permanently.

Hmm you could not just agree you have to play devils advocate.

Err.... No, not playing DA here. Just pointing out that the font looks rather small - the point being, that a quick search can quickly become a slow search if you have to strain to see what you're typing. (The font, incidentally, looks about the same size in both the large and small example.) OTOH, the font in that theme (K-Tek 4D) *is* rather small and I'd guess that the 'Search' takes its font etc. from the shelf rather than setting its own size.

BTW, I *rarely* play Devil's Advocate. My opinions are mine. *All mine*! :P

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Err.... No, not playing DA here. Just pointing out that the font looks rather small - the point being, that a quick search can quickly become a slow search if you have to strain to see what you're typing. (The font, incidentally, looks about the same size in both the large and small example.) OTOH, the font in that theme (K-Tek 4D) *is* rather small and I'd guess that the 'Search' takes its font etc. from the shelf rather than setting its own size.

No, the search does not take the Shelf's font, it uses a fixed 10pt font size which is more than large enough to be clearly visible. It only looks small in that screenshot because the screenshot has been reduced by the forums - enlarge it to original size by clicking on it to see the difference.

You do have a point about something else: the search box might look rather big in the original version because it was being used in contrast to the KTEK-4D theme, which is a theme where *everything* is actually rather small. I should have used a different theme to demo the search box.

nexter wrote:
My opinions are mine. *All mine*! :P

Don't be selfish. lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:19 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
....(The font, incidentally, looks about the same size in both the large and small example.) OTOH, the font in that theme (K-Tek 4D) *is* rather small and I'd guess that the 'Search' takes its font etc. from the shelf rather than setting its own size.

No, the search does not take the Shelf's font, it uses a fixed 10pt font size which is more than large enough to be clearly visible. It only looks small in that screenshot because the screenshot has been reduced by the forums - enlarge it to original size by clicking on it to see the difference.

I did, and did it again also. :) The thing is, font sizes are a very tricky business in graphical applications especially. Arial 10pt isn't necessarily the same actual on-screen size as say Johnston 10pt, and a lot can also depend on the sctual bitmap it's displayed in and the constraints of its size. That said, the font in the search box looks the same size as that in the shelf. And that looks rather small to me and my far from 20/20 eyes even with my special computer specs. :) But that's because the theme's so small anyway also.
winstep wrote:
You do have a point about something else: the search box might look rather big in the original version because it was being used in contrast to the KTEK-4D theme, which is a theme where *everything* is actually rather small. I should have used a different theme to demo the search box.

Yes, that's true. And K-Tek's rather showing its age anyway - IIRC, it must have been ~2004 that it started life?
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
My opinions are mine. *All mine*! :P

Don't be selfish. lol

LOLOL! OK Jorge, you can have a few of mine then, but only a *very* few mind! ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:41 pm 

Jorge, what about making the size of the search box have an option to change it in increments from the smallest to the largest in a similar way as the Scale feature in the Modules?

The thing is, the smaller one LOOKS better, but, I think there will be issues seeing what's typed in the small size search box.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Jorge, what about making the size of the search box have an option to change it in increments from the smallest to the largest in a similar way as the Scale feature in the Modules?

No. It WILL, however, automatically scale up accordingly to screen DPI.

Windy wrote:
The thing is, the smaller one LOOKS better, but, I think there will be issues seeing what's typed in the small size search box.

Are you guys all blind?

I already stated that the font size looks smaller than it really is because the screenshot was resized by the forums. Here is what it looks like in REAL size:
Attachment:
SearchFilterRealSize.jpg
SearchFilterRealSize.jpg [ 7.42 KiB | Viewed 11299 times ]

If you can't see THAT, you all need glasses lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:01 pm 

Thank you Jorge for getting to the search feature. It is something that any keyboard user will love (many heavy keyboard users here on the forum).

I think that search will be very useful in drawers also....
About the text size, I think it could be changed, if necessary, after people see it in action in a beta.

About the search box, my personal opinion: loose the box around the green outline, let the outline be the actual outside of the box. Also, having that green glow actually match the accent color picked by the user would be great (for consistency).

About my crashes, after installing the latest beta ( and uninstalling aimp, that had an update in october) things are much more stable. I still get the below error (recoverable):

Attachment:
Capture4.JPG
Capture4.JPG [ 29.73 KiB | Viewed 11299 times ]

I also get a crash message from workshelf every thime I logout or shutdown (I will post a picture as soon as I can. At the moment I can not shutdown my PC, I have to let it run something).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
About the search box, my personal opinion: loose the box around the green outline, let the outline be the actual outside of the box.

No can do. The outside box is necessary for you to actually see the glow. This is something you probably will only fully understand when you see it live, as the 'glowing' cannot be accurately portrait in a static screenshot.

Vlad wrote:
Also, having that green glow actually match the accent color picked by the user would be great (for consistency).

Yeah, I guessed correctly someone would ask me for this lol

Vlad wrote:
I also get a crash message from workshelf every thime I logout or shutdown

Is anyone else also experiencing this?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:42 pm 

no crashes so far here

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:59 pm 

I try to see if the problem is with my system. I guess I will be sure after the next beta.

I think I understand now the glow you have in mind... It is a pulsing thing.

edit: One thing I will check in relation to the crashes, to see if I have some bad shortcuts or something else in the docks/drawers/shelfs that can be the cause of the problem.

Last edited by Vlad on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:
About the search box, my personal opinion: loose the box around the green outline, let the outline be the actual outside of the box.

No can do. The outside box is necessary for you to actually see the glow. This is something you probably will only fully understand when you see it live, as the 'glowing' cannot be accurately portrait in a static screenshot.

LOL! Yes it can, and it is actually. It was obvious to me from the start, even with my poor eye sight. (Hey, maybbe they all have poor sight, Jorge! ;) ) That glow has to have somewhere *to glow* of course. :)
winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:
Also, having that green glow actually match the accent color picked by the user would be great (for consistency).

Yeah, I guessed correctly someone would ask me for this lol

LOL! Oh no, please, let's not go there. ;) At least not the Windows accent colour. If anything, why not make it an option to have it use the dominant colour of the shelf if suitable, if you must, and keep the green as the default. Looks perfect that way anyway.
winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:
I also get a crash message from workshelf every thime I logout or shutdown

Is anyone else also experiencing this?

Nope. Nada. Nothing at all, no problems of any sort.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:12 pm 

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:

No. It WILL, however, automatically scale up accordingly to screen DPI.

Windy wrote:

Are you guys all blind?

I already stated that the font size looks smaller than it really is because the screenshot was resized by the forums. Here is what it looks like in REAL size:

If you can't see THAT, you all need glasses lol

I guess it's my a fault. That's not the one I was talking about. I meant smaller in overall size of the whole thing. It's skinnier and a tad bit shorter overall. In the screenshot the text looks very small.

This is the one I was talking about. I think an elongated box looks better.

This is how the other one looked. Note that the one above is slightly smaller/shorter and thinner. Sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
LOL! Oh no, please, let's not go there. ;) At least not the Windows accent colour. If anything, why not make it an option to have it use the dominant colour of the shelf if suitable, if you must, and keep the green as the default. Looks perfect that way anyway.

It's green by default, but you can have the option to colorize it manually with any color you want, or automatically either with the Shelf dominant color or the Windows 10 accent color.

If I had an option for the former I can also do it for the latter.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:34 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

It's green by default, but you can have the option to colorize it manually with any color you want, or automatically either with the Shelf dominant color or the Windows 10 accent color.

If I had an option for the former I can also do it for the latter.

Ah well, sounds reasonable enough then. As long as it doesn't involve a lot of work. :)

It does look very tasteful with that green glow, Jorge. And it sends out a positive signal, i.e. in this case, to continue entering your search.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:14 am 

So... I have this icon that is an actual exe file in a program folder.

How to I get rid of it from the grid stack without actually deleting it?

EDIT: Ah I see, so actual files (as opposed to shortcuts) aren't deleted from the disc. Right?

EDIT2: Hmmmm I'm confused (don't worry I didn't delete anything)

When I see the Grid Stack properties it refers to my database folder, so I assumed for a moment it was an actual file because by going to "show container" I would expect nexus to open the database container. instead it shows the actual specific program installation (which is a good idea)

I still miss a way to quickly open my database folders for each grid stack. For now I'm using explorer's "quick access" (great thing, you should just upgrade to win10, its been rock solid, hands down the best MS OS to date) Win7 was good, as Win2k was good, but not good enough to stay on it any longer.

Last edited by sacco_belmonte on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
So... I have this icon that is an actual exe file in a program folder.

How to I get rid of it from the grid stack without actually deleting it?

EDIT: Ah I see, so actual files (as opposed to shortcuts) aren't deleted from the disc. Right?

Wait. What?

Where is your Grid Stack pointing to? Or is it a Regular type of Grid Stack?

Because if it is a Grid Stack of type folder, anything you delete from it *are actual files* in the target folder.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 45  Next