Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Ah well, sounds reasonable enough then. As long as it doesn't involve a lot of work. :)

Already added all the possible colorization options for the Quick Search bar: manual, dominant color of Shelf background, Windows Accent Color

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:28 am 

winstep wrote:
sacco_belmonte wrote:
So... I have this icon that is an actual exe file in a program folder.

How to I get rid of it from the grid stack without actually deleting it?

EDIT: Ah I see, so actual files (as opposed to shortcuts) aren't deleted from the disc. Right?

Wait. What?

Where is your Grid Stack pointing to? Or is it a Regular type of Grid Stack?

Because if it is a Grid Stack of type folder, anything you delete from it *are actual files* in the target folder.

When I see the Grid Stack properties it refers to my database folder, so I assumed for a moment it was an actual file because by going to "show container" I would expect nexus to open the database container. instead it shows the actual specific program installation (which is a good idea)

I still miss a way to quickly open my database folders for each grid stack. For now I'm using explorer's "quick access" (great thing, you should just upgrade to win10, its been rock solid, hands down the best MS OS to date) Win7 was good, as Win2k was good, but not good enough to stay on it any longer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
When I see the Grid Stack properties it refers to my database folder, so I assumed for a moment it was an actual file because by going to "show container" I would expect nexus to open the database container. instead it shows the actual specific program installation (which is a good idea)

Ah, so if I understood correctly, you have a Windows *shortcut* (.lnk file) inside your database folder to a program somewhere else on your hard drive.

When you use 'Show Container' for that application shortcut, the Winstep application will automatically resolve the shortcut and show the folder of the target application instead of the folder where the shortcut is.

HOWEVER, if you delete the file FROM the Grid Stack, it will delete the Windows shortcut, NOT the target application.

Anyway, for safety reasons ANY file or folder in your hard drive gets sent to the Windows Recycler if you delete it from within the Winstep application (UNLESS you press the SHIFT key WHILE deleting it, in which case it gets PERMANENTLY deleted), even if you disabled delete confirmation.

sacco_belmonte wrote:
I still miss a way to quickly open my database folders for each grid stack.

What do you mean? Why 'for each grid stack' ?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:00 am 

I see, if I throw a shortcut or any file from a folder to a stack it will move it to the folder the stack uses.

Nice, so I don't even need to open the stack folder to add a shortcut in the database. I was just used to do so from RocketDock but is not needed in nexus.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winstep applications are not toys. :wink:

You can copy instead of moving by pressing CTRL. You can also right click drag.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
But could a sub grid stack get the theme data from its parent?

So, I already set it so temporary grid stacks get their theme from the parent grid stack, drawer or shelf (all three are essentially different 'modes' of the same thing).

Only one problem: temporary grid stacks can also be open from folders placed in *docks*, and there there is no parent theme (a dock is not a Shelf). So, in that particular case the temp grid stack will use the current global Shelf theme - OR you can always turn the folder into a permanent grid stack by using 'Convert to Grid Stack', at which point you can also specify its theme and settings.

Also made folders in temp grid stacks automatically open as grid stacks themselves - you can navigate an entire disk drive using nothing but grid stacks now.

Likewise made sure you can also open shell folders that are also physical folders (such as the drives in a Drives tab type) as grid stacks.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:01 am 

So here it is the error I get when I shutdown/logoff:

Attachment:
20181108_113216.jpg
20181108_113216.jpg [ 44.06 KiB | Viewed 11765 times ]

And sometimes, after boot, I get this non recoverable error:

Attachment:
Capture6.JPG
Capture6.JPG [ 29.92 KiB | Viewed 11765 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:48 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Ah well, sounds reasonable enough then. As long as it doesn't involve a lot of work. :)

Already added all the possible colorization options for the Quick Search bar: manual, dominant color of Shelf background, Windows Accent Color

Fab. Great quick work, Jorge. :)

Been reading up various posts (going back a long, long way, a lot of them!) - sorry to wake you up so rudely ;) - in re: 'The Beast', btw. (Deep breaths Jorge, deep, slow breaths, easy now.... ;) ) I know you always do deliver in the end old friend, but you really can't keep putting it off any longer or skinning will really end up dead soon. So, when this current update is done, have a stiff one or two (a drink, strong spirit) - if you do partake, of course - and/or do whatever it takes to steady your nerves and overcome this phobia of the boredom of 'The Beast'. ;) (Other than doing any more 'quick fixes' etc. that is! :P )

And get on with it! The sooner you do it, the sooner it'll be done and then you'll hopefully have to update it only rarely when something is added or changed. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
.... I already set it so temporary grid stacks get their theme from the parent grid stack, drawer or shelf (all three are essentially different 'modes' of the same thing).

.... Also made folders in temp grid stacks automatically open as grid stacks themselves - you can navigate an entire disk drive using nothing but grid stacks now.

Eewww....! Who'd want to do that? Right nightmare AFAIC. But yeah, I know, diff'rent strokes and all that. ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:27 pm 

Nexter wrote:

Quote:
Been reading up various posts (going back a long, long way, a lot of them!) - sorry to wake you up so rudely ;) - in re: 'The Beast', btw. (Deep breaths Jorge, deep, slow breaths, easy now.... ;) ) I know you always do deliver in the end old friend, but you really can't keep putting it off any longer or skinning will really end up dead soon. So, when this current update is done, have a stiff one or two (a drink, strong spirit) - if you do partake, of course - and/or do whatever it takes to steady your nerves and overcome this phobia of the boredom of 'The Beast'. ;) (Other than doing any more 'quick fixes' etc. that is! :P )

And get on with it! The sooner you do it, the sooner it'll be done and then you'll hopefully have to update it only rarely when something is added or changed. :)

I think Nexter is wright Jorge. We do need a Theme Builder. I wanted for almost an year now to make some skins, but I really do not have time to learn the ins and outs of doing it manually. As much as I would enjoy the coolness of tampering with text config files and all.... I simply do not have the time to do it. I suspect a lot of people are in my position....

So, thumbs up for the Theme Bulder!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:33 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Vlad wrote:
Nexter wrote:
Quote:

I think Nexter is wright Jorge. We do need a Theme Builder. I wanted for almost an year now to make some skins, but I really do not have time to learn the ins and outs of doing it manually. As much as I would enjoy the coolness of tampering with text config files and all.... I simply do not have the time to do it. I suspect a lot of people are in my position....

So, thumbs up for the Theme Bulder!

Oh dear, oh hell! You've done it now Vlad! Called 'The Beast' whose name must not be spoken in front of Jorge by its name! ;) ;)

Poor Jorge is going to turn into a jelly now, or a pumpkin, or what-have-you. ;)

But yes, I think you've hit the problem for many. Messing around with and editing config/ini files is definitely not for everybody., and it takes a good bit of time to learn all the ins and outs. I'm sure you're right that some or even a lot more people would make themes if we had 'The Beast'. And I fully understand and empathise that you simply don't have the time to figure out the config files. Even with having some experience with various kinds of ini files (and some coding experience under the NeXT platform) over the years and some little experience of Winstep ini files - which we didn't really have to mess with too much when I had last used Xtreme prior to my long hiatus - I find it tough going at times. There are so many features that are completely new to me, and although I can figure out some of them it's impossible to figure them all out by oneself.

One contributor in a long past post even suggested that in the absence of 'The Beast' Winstep could be losing not only skinners and potential skinners but also punters paying for the programme. And I think he had a point there, and by now all those once shiny default skins are even older than then and look decidedly more tired, and very few new skins have come along since the demise of the old facility to build themes that was built into Xtreme up to version 9.5 - more than nine years ago now!

Drawers and Grid Stack boxes and search are all well and nice and welcome additions I'm sure, but we just had a complete full-version upgrade in 18.8 in the form of vertical and multiple shelves etc., but all these things, in my view, could have waited. 'The Beast' would have been and indeed is far, far more important.

I guess we'll just have to nag and irritate our pumpkin (or whatever Jorge has turned into! ;) ) until he gives up and faces 'The Beast' at long last. :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:39 pm 

winstep wrote:
sacco_belmonte wrote:
But could a sub grid stack get the theme data from its parent?

So, I already set it so temporary grid stacks get their theme from the parent grid stack, drawer or shelf (all three are essentially different 'modes' of the same thing).

Only one problem: temporary grid stacks can also be open from folders placed in *docks*, and there there is no parent theme (a dock is not a Shelf). So, in that particular case the temp grid stack will use the current global Shelf theme - OR you can always turn the folder into a permanent grid stack by using 'Convert to Grid Stack', at which point you can also specify its theme and settings.

Also made folders in temp grid stacks automatically open as grid stacks themselves - you can navigate an entire disk drive using nothing but grid stacks now.

Likewise made sure you can also open shell folders that are also physical folders (such as the drives in a Drives tab type) as grid stacks.

Awesome :) thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Drawers and Grid Stack boxes and search are all well and nice and welcome additions I'm sure, but we just had a complete full-version upgrade in 18.8 in the form of vertical and multiple shelves etc., but all these things, in my view, could have waited. 'The Beast' would have been and indeed is far, far more important.

No, it actually is not. They are all equally important, but I get a kick out of you - of all people - claiming that eye candy is far, far more important than functionality. lol

This Grid Stack thing, for instance, is a key factor. Believe me, I know, and I'm pretty certain sacco_belmonte would say the same. However, Grid Stacks would not have been possible without adding support for multiple and vertical shelves first.

It's all tied up, like links in a chain.

There are certain things that sometimes don't look very important in the grand scheme of things, but they are actually critical. Case in point, the weather module - that's what it took for even the most rabid OD users to finally abandon it in favor of Nexus. A stupid weather module.

Not even total lack of OD support for UWP apps in Windows 10 had made them switch - they only did that when the weather module - of all things! - stopped working.

nexter wrote:
I guess we'll just have to nag and irritate our pumpkin (or whatever Jorge has turned into! ;) ) until he gives up and faces 'The Beast' at long last. :P

I would not advise you to do that. As those close to me fully know, I don't react well to nagging *at all* - in fact, it just makes me go out of my way to do the opposite.

I know what needs to be done. I don't need to be reminded every 5 minutes.

As the old saying goes: "it will be ready when it's ready"

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
So here it is the error I get when I shutdown/logoff:

And sometimes, after boot, I get this non recoverable error:

I take it none of the errors happen if you exit and restart Xtreme by hand multiple times?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:31 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

No, it actually is not. They are all equally important, but I get a kick out of you - of all people - claiming that eye candy is far, far more important than functionality. lol

LOL! Well no, personally I place the utmost importance on functionality, but in the case of the ThemeBuilder, I think it would be of great if not utmost importance in the interest of the longer term viability of the programme, for exactly the reasons stated in my post Jorge. Read over what Vlad said, and my reply to that. My interest is the programme.
winstep wrote:
This Grid Stack thing, for instance, is a key factor. Believe me, I know, and I'm pretty certain sacco_belmonte would say the same. However, Grid Stacks would not have been possible without adding support for multiple and vertical shelves first.

I didn't say that Grid Stacks aren't a good, nay even a great thing, they are and they're very useful to me as I've already said several times. It's just that my opinion was that they, drawers and search could have waited, perhaps. And I certainly didn't mean to imply that vertical and multiple shelves could have waited - far from it, those were waiting more than long enough. :)
winstep wrote:
It's all tied up, like links in a chain.

There are certain things that sometimes don't look very important in the grand scheme of things, but they are actually critical. Case in point, the weather module - that's what it took for even the most rabid OD users to finally abandon it in favor of Nexus. A stupid weather module.

Not even total lack of OD support for UWP apps in Windows 10 had made them switch - they only did that when the weather module - of all things! - stopped working.

LOL! Yeah, that's a really odd one, that. As if life revolves around - mostly/often unreliable - weather reports/forecasts. But there you go, people sometimes have very odd priorities.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

I would not advise you to do that. As those close to me fully know, I don't react well to nagging *at all* - in fact, it just makes me go out of my way to do the opposite.

I know what needs to be done. I don't need to be reminded every 5 minutes.

As the old saying goes: "it will be ready when it's ready"

Jorge, I'm sorry if I touched a raw nerve there, I certainly did not mean to. Relax my friend, I was just kidding, just making light of it, as I thought I'd made obvious. You should know after all these years that I would never do any such thing deliberately, least of all to you.

Rest assured, I shall not mention it again. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 45  Next