Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Battery and other options questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:55 pm 

Good day! I've recently downloaded winstep and I would like to ask a few questions.

What does the option "Activation acts as a toggle" do? and what does the fastboot option do?

Also my main concern is in my laptop battery settings it is shown that workshelf has the highest percentage of apps that are using the battery. Does Winstep significantly lessen battery life? Have others had problems about battery?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Battery and other options questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Josanity wrote:
What does the option "Activation acts as a toggle" do?

Shows if hidden, hides if visible: if the dock is hidden, it appears when you bump the screen edge, if it is currently visible, it hides when you bump the screen edge.

Josanity wrote:
what does the fastboot option do?

Did you already mouseover over the big 'power button' icon in the dock? The balloon tooltip that pops up will tell you all you need to know in more detail.

Basically it bypasses Windows 10 *deliberate* startup delay for 3rd party applications after a reboot.

Josanity wrote:
Also my main concern is in my laptop battery settings it is shown that workshelf has the highest percentage of apps that are using the battery. Does Winstep significantly lessen battery life? Have others had problems about battery?

There is a price to pay for everything, and nothing in this universe escapes this rule. All those nice animations and eye candy effects have an impact on CPU usage, and CPU usage in turn has an effect on power/battery usage.

To help with this when battery usage is a concern, the Winstep application has a couple of Power Saving modes which can be turned on manually or automatically. Click HERE to read more about those.

You can also manually pick and choose which effects and animations to use and which to turn off. A static dock will obviously use A LOT LESS battery when you mouse over it than one with the magnification effect turned on, etc...

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Battery and other options questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Josanity wrote:

There is a price to pay for everything, and nothing in this universe escapes this rule. All those nice animations and eye candy effects have an impact on CPU usage, and CPU usage in turn has an effect on power/battery usage.

To help with this when battery usage is a concern, the Winstep application has a couple of Power Saving modes which can be turned on manually or automatically. Click HERE to read more about those.

You can also manually pick and choose which effects and animations to use and which to turn off. A static dock will obviously use A LOT LESS battery when you mouse over it than one with the magnification effect turned on, etc...

I don't use any effects and few animations myself, dock is static in every way inc. not auto-hiding etc., I use very few modules, and so over-all, the CPU hit is minimal. There certainly doesn't seem to be any impact on the battery, it still lasts a good six to eight hours and sometimes even longer.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]