Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Help with my Shelf
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 pm 

Hey

I tried pretty much all dock apps and Winstep Nexus is the one I've been using for years, the very best in my opinion for what I need.

But I'm still not happy with the customization of my shelf.

My goal is to be able to press a button on my mouse, and it makes the shelf appear in the middle of my screen, then quickly disappear after a short delay, that's why the Shelf system from Winstep Nexus is the best because no other dock apps are able to do that properly.

Here is what I have at the moment when I press my mouse button:

Exactly what I need.

But the skin is so ugly. I'd like a cleaner look but themes for Shelf are very limited and dont really work (something like 4 by default, and 3 are bugged showing the same exact skin), this style you can see on the screenshot is my only viable option.
Ugly tab on top, ugly margin on the right, sloppy lines... Yes, very useful, and my only option, but very ugly.

So here's my question, where can I find decent Shelf themes, or how can I create one myself ? I've been searching A LOT and I can't find anything.

I hope someone can help me, thanks have a good day !

Post subject: Re: Help with my Shelf
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

EZG wrote:
Here is what I have at the moment when I press my mouse button:

What in the name of God is THAT?!! :shock:

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the About tab in Preferences?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:08 pm 

Version 16.6.

I might be outdated lol. Bad habits to not update apps like that.

I'm installing newer version right now. I'll let you know if the Shelf system is better in it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the version you are running is that old you will need to renew your upgrade subscription too. By the way, is that Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:47 pm 

Yep I knew it, that's why I never update apps like that.

Still that ugly tab bar on top, and ugly margin on the right (on all themes, weird that we can't have a clean theme without all this nonsense):

And even worst, here is what I have when the Shelf goes in hide mode:

But I have no other choices... Nexus is the only app that offers an half-decent square-style shelf...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let me ask again though: are you running Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:59 pm 

Ultimate.

The "Brisa" theme makes things better, no ugly line displayed when hidden.

I managed to get viable settings, but the problems I had in the past are still here. I'll live with it.

EDIT: I found a new way, I can't imagine why I didn't think about it earlier. Instead of using a Shelf, I'm gonna using multiple docks to simulate a shelf lol. I guess it would be better since dock is way more customizable than shelf

Last edited by EZG on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I need to know something before I'm able to help you, sorry. I'll send you a PM. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

EZG wrote:

The 'ugly line' is probably just badly adjusted glass blur settings.

EZG wrote:
I managed to get viable settings, but the problems I had in the past are still here. I'll live with it.

And what problems are those?

EZG wrote:
EDIT: I found a new way, I can't imagine why I didn't think about it earlier. Instead of using a Shelf, I'm gonna using multiple docks to simulate a shelf lol. I guess it would be better since dock is way more customizable than shelf

That's definitely very arguable. I also suggest you read about the new Grid Stacks in the 'What's next after v18.10' thread above.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EZG wrote:
Ultimate.

Docks can never simulate a shelf. The two work very differently and look very different. And you got it the wrong way around - shelves are far more customisable than docks and far more versatile.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

EZG wrote:
But the skin is so ugly. I'd like a cleaner look but themes for Shelf are very limited and dont really work (something like 4 by default, and 3 are bugged showing the same exact skin), this style you can see on the screenshot is my only viable option.
Ugly tab on top, ugly margin on the right, sloppy lines... Yes, very useful, and my only option, but very ugly.

You know, that is exactly the type of thing that could happen when using a pirated version of Winstep software.

I asked you to show me a screenshot of the About tab of Preferences, and you didn't. I can't find your email address in the registered users database and I asked you about it by PM. I know you read it, but you didn't reply.

Yet you came here asking for help. What am I to think?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let this be a warning to those who decide to run cracked versions of Winstep applications instead of purchasing them:

1. You end up running very old versions of the software because you cannot update the version you have.

When you purchase the software you are entitled to one full year of free updates, this year alone there were 6 updates already, filled to the brink with new features (multiple shelves, vertical shelves, drawers, grid stacks, etc...)

2. With badly made cracks you end up with abominations like this

thinking that something like THAT is normal behavior of the software.

3. You get no help or technical support when you need it. Even users of the free version of Nexus get 100% support - but pirates get NOTHING.

4. You risk running a very old version thinking you are running the latest.

I've noticed cracks of the software featuring the same old version over and over again, always claiming to be the most recent version - the only thing the crackers change is the version number.

5. You risk getting adware and viruses into your computer or turning it into an active component of a world wide botnet.

6. You are NOT doing your part to support the continued development of the software and you are literally STEALING from another human being the reward for his hard work, which you are benefiting from.

It's not only illegal, it is also IMMORAL. Imagine how you would feel if your boss decided not to pay you at the end of the month and claimed he wasn't stealing anything from you because, after all, he hadn't paid you YET, and he can't steal something you don't already have.

If money is tight to buy the software (what brand of cell phone do you have in your pocket, by the way, and how much did it cost you?) then write in and ASK for a discount - and be prepared for a No, you are not entitled to discounts either.

Use the free version of the Nexus dock. It's free for personal use, you don't have to pay anything for it. Doesn't do all you want it to do? Purchase the paid versions, or read the previous paragraph again.

Look around you guys. Nexus is now the only dock still in active development and has been so for YEARS. All the other docks are either dead or in limbo.

There is a reason for that, and Nexus still being under active development is only possible because most users understand that others need to put food on their tables too. So don't be that guy, the entitled one that thinks leeching from others is ok or makes him smarter than them. It's not, and it doesn't.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]