Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:46 pm 

winstep wrote:
So, my guess is that one of those video files is encoded in a special format and the 3rd party code responsible for returning a thumbnail is REALLY, really slow.

They are all MP4 as far as I know. Windows takes 1s to show their thumbnails. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
They are all MP4 as far as I know. Windows takes 1s to show their thumbnails. Hmmm...

MP4 (just like MP3) is just a 'general' container name to the raw data within, which can use a variety of different encoding formats (codecs).

Windows uses it's own thumbnail cache - however, the Winstep application needs to retrieve thumbnails at different icon sizes, so it requests the thumbnail to be generated afresh.

My guess is that it's one specific MP4 file causing the problem - you would have to experiment yourself by moving them all out of the folder and then adding them back in one by one until the slowness starts.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:20 pm 

winstep wrote:
sacco_belmonte wrote:

MP4 (just like MP3) is just a 'general' container name to the raw data within, which can use a variety of different encoding formats (codecs).

Windows uses it's own thumbnail cache - however, the Winstep application needs to retrieve thumbnails at different icon sizes, so it requests the thumbnail to be generated afresh.

My guess is that it's one specific MP4 file causing the problem - you would have to experiment yourself by moving them all out of the folder and then adding them back in one by one until the slowness starts.

True :) I forgot to say they're encoded with FFMPEG H264

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
True :) I forgot to say they're encoded with FFMPEG H264

Well, sometimes all I need is a little push: I replaced the normal thumbnail extraction code with something that - at least in theory - should also use the Windows local thumbnail cache if a thumbnail is available there.

That being so, it should offer better performance and also solve your sluggishness issue with certain MP4s. So far it seems to be working fine, but I can't really tell in terms of increased performance.

Would you like to try it?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:13 pm 

Sure :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:

Ok, download the update from HERE, unzip, then exit all running Winstep applications before running setup.

Let me know if it solved the issue or even if it feels any faster.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:35 pm 

Beautiful !! that totally solved it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
Beautiful !! that totally solved it.

Yay! :)

Good, because here I couldn't really tell if there was a difference. It felt faster, but you know what they say about 'feelings' lol

Now, what I would like to know is why your Guitar Vids GS opens in another monitor.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:50 pm 

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:
The Recent tab on the Shelf locks up when I put the cursor over a recent item. I have to exit WorkShelf to get it to work again. It can be reproduced over and over again.

Anyone else able to reproduce this issue?

no problem here

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:54 pm 

The thumbnails are now created in 1.5s or so. Looks pretty fancy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:37 pm 

Windy wrote:
The Recent tab on the Shelf locks up when I put the cursor over a recent item. I have to exit WorkShelf to get it to work again.

I can’t duplicate on my Win 10.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:33 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:
The Recent tab on the Shelf locks up when I put the cursor over a recent item. I have to exit WorkShelf to get it to work again. It can be reproduced over and over again.

no problem here

Nor here.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:42 am 

winstep wrote:
sacco_belmonte wrote:

Ok, download the update from HERE, unzip, then exit all running Winstep applications before running setup.

Let me know if it solved the issue or even if it feels any faster.

Should we all try this beta or just Sacco.....?

Cant replicate the recent item's freeze.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:05 am 

winstep wrote:
Ok, just added a way to manage multi-monitor profiles (or multi-resolution profiles). The Winstep application basically 'remembers' the position of Shelves, docks, drawers, etc... when you switch screen resolutions or when you add/remove monitors.

When you switch to a different configuration (for instance, when you add a secondary monitor to a laptop) and assuming you had already configured your setup for that particular configuration before, the application automatically restores the positions Shelves etc previously had in that particular configuration.

Unfortunately the user that prompted this addition seems to have gone AWOL, at least for the moment. Anyone else interested in this feature?

There's one thing I'm not quite sure how to go about: he mentioned that in his dual monitor configuration he has a shelf in each monitor, and complained that the second shelf would jump to his laptop's primary screen when he disconnected the secondary.

Now, the method I just implemented does not solve the problem assuming he only wants to use the second Shelf when the other monitor is connected (other than him now being able to place the second Shelf somewhere else in his primary monitor rather than it appearing on top of the first shelf), unless I also associate enabled/disabled to the monitor profiles (e.g.; a Shelf might be enabled in one profile, but disabled in another).

This has the potential to become a bit confusing, however, if, for instance, you have a shelf disabled in a particular profile but forgot having done it and then returning to that particular profile a long time afterwards or vice-versa, no?

Jorge, assuming I'm your AWOL person, this fix works fine on my system. Each shelf remembers its monitor setting.

What doesn't work: NextStart only remembers monitor 1 Reserve Space settings. Is this fixable?

Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:43 am 

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:

I think it's system specific Windy, and problem *item* specific too (I'm assuming it only freezes when it's about to display the balloon tooltip). Where are the items that appear in the Recent Documents tab stored at? A network drive? Does it happen with all the items in it?

Give that a try, report back your findings, then click the 'Clear Recent Documents' icon to empty the list and start over.

Hours earlier I was going to post, but had to leave abruptly to take care of some important things that came up.

Now, when I'm finally back, something weird happened. After about 3 mins of the Shelf being frozen, I opened the Task Manager as usual to end the task (which is the only way possible to exit the Shelf when it does that) and it unlocked before I did anything.

I was then able to cycle through without a problem. The significance of leaving for many hours might play into it. I noticed that my tabs closed by themselves (I use the program QTabBar).

This seems to happen after my PC goes to sleep (after 3 hours of inactivity). So, many hours later when I opened Explorer (from the Windows taskbar, not Winstep) I noticed that nothing from Recent was showing.

I remember when the Shelf kept locking up and wouldn't recover like it did now, there were a lot of items (mostly videos) in the Explorer folder under Recent.
:?

Windy wrote:
Because of the change to the Shelf, even on a single tab Shelf, (which is docked on the right side) the tab won’t stay at the single tab size and open to whatever amount of folders/icons are in the Shelf.

winstep wrote:
What do you mean? Are we talking about a single tabbed Shelf or a Drawer?

Single tabbed Shelf-Tab type: Folder

Windy wrote:
I didn’t see anything mentioned about the Shelf Desktop tab external hard drive delete files issue mentioned in the Change Log. Have you done anything to fix the issue?

Unless you have, there is no way to remove the external hard drives from the Shelf.

winstep wrote:
I wrote a whole post explaining WHY it was happening. Didn't you read it?

Yes I read it.

winstep wrote:
Bottom line is: no, it was Microsoft's decision to add removable drives to the root of the shell namespace and therefore there is no way to remove them from the Desktop tab in Windows 10 (other than by editing the Windows Registry by following the article I linked to, but you do that at your own peril since I didn't try it to see if it works).

I thought that you would be able to do something to block external hard drives appearing in the Shelf since they don't appear on the Desktop and you should be the one who says what should be displayed in your program, not Windows! Within reason of course.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 45  Next