Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Windows 10 - How Many Cores Supported?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The info I've found on this subject is somewhat confusing, so wondering if anyone here could shed a light on the issue of how many real/logical cores are supported by Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise. (I have a spare license for each.)

A friend is upgrading his office server early(ish) next year, and I'll be getting his existing 18 month old or so mobo, 64 gig of RAM and 8-core/16 logical Threadripper CPU for free, which I hope to build up into a new system over time. Would either or both Windows versions support this 'out of the box' or would I need to get another license from MS?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 - How Many Cores Supported?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:33 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Just heard from a friend, up to 64 should be fine. :) Just like most Gnu/Linux distros and *BSD ones then. Time was you had to get a separate edition of NT for anything more than 4 CPUs.... (Though I think that really meant the then Alpha and MIPS versions - don't think I can recall any Intel or PPC based systems with more than 4 at that time, with the exception of IBM's POWER based systems like the RS/6000 series.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 2 posts ]