Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm 

winstep wrote:
sacco_belmonte wrote:
1) The monitors keep changing resolution non stop until I force quit (ALT+F4) the game. So basically this update made it worse.

Wait, what do you mean by this? It actually gets into the game but then goes back to the desktop?

As the video I recorded earlier. The screens keep changing resolution back and forth, all I see is black screens on the left and upper monitors (1 and 2). This time it doesn't go to the desktop until I force quit the game.

Ah! BTW. The bug that I showed before with blank text on one of my gridstacks until I open it again is still there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
As the video I recorded earlier. The screens keep changing resolution back and forth, all I see is black screens on the left and upper monitors (1 and 2). This time it doesn't go to the desktop until I force quit the game.

Ah! BTW. The bug that I showed before with blank text on one of my gridstacks until I open it again is still there.

One thing at a time. :)

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. Made some further changes, please try downloading again.

Ah, before running the game, please delete all files from the monitor profiles folder again. Make sure monitor profiles are enabled in Preferences, run the game, see what happens, then don't try anything else and immediately send me whatever is inside the profiles folder.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:39 pm 

That last beta seem to successfully fix it. I tried opening F1 2018 6 times and 6 out of 6 it opened fine, fast and correctly. Also workshelf now stays in the right monitor as it should.

Thank you!

Here are the ini files.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bba2u ... gOyDxpYAfW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We need a dancing emoticon in this forums! :mrgreen: :D

Now let's wait for Chuck's feedback.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Wouldn't it be simpler to do these tests in a VM?

I can't mimic their configs in a VM.

LOL! No, of course not. What I meant is for them to test in a VM. :) Not only safer, but saves having to keep changing their configs in their normal setup on the host.

But what about the license question in my post?

BTW, I'm in love with BSD and GNU/Linux! Been running for about a week now, plus on USB Live installs. Amazed how all that has changed since I last used any of them! And - everything's so much faster, really seeing the power of the system more than under Win 10. Alas, one thing they all lack is some sort of Winstep-like desktop (not necessarily skinnable), or something even more radically new.

All the same, at least one of them will be my default OS on the new machine as and when I get that together. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 pm 

̶u̶̶n̶̶f̶̶o̶̶r̶̶t̶̶u̶̶n̶̶a̶̶t̶̶e̶̶l̶̶y̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶e̶̶p̶̶o̶̶r̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶i̶̶t̶̶h̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶l̶̶a̶̶t̶̶e̶̶s̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶t̶̶a̶̶ ̶-̶ ̶̶d̶̶o̶̶w̶̶n̶̶l̶̶o̶̶a̶̶d̶̶a̶̶d̶̶e̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶r̶̶o̶̶m̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶l̶̶i̶̶n̶̶k̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶p̶̶r̶̶e̶̶v̶̶i̶̶o̶̶u̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶p̶̶a̶̶g̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶2̶̶0̶̶ ̶̶m̶̶i̶̶n̶̶u̶̶t̶̶e̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶g̶̶o̶̶ ̶-̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶u̶̶t̶̶o̶-̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶a̶̶b̶̶l̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶o̶̶e̶̶s̶̶n̶'̶t̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶o̶̶r̶̶k̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶n̶̶y̶̶m̶̶o̶̶r̶̶e̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶:̶(

Procedure:
1. Deleted all the duplicated elements again.
2. Deleted profiles.
3. Turned on second monitor.
4. Made duplicates and placed them on the second monitor.
5. Applied and closed Winstep settings.
6. Disabled second monitor - all elements jumped to the single monitor, overlapping the other ones.

When re-activating the second monitor, they all go properly back to it. But when disabling it, they never disable themself but always go the remaining monitor.

There were two files created in the profiles folder. I've attached them.

*****EDIT*****

I've made a change in the procedure and now it's working!

So, what I've done:

7. Opened the Winstep settings again and disabled the duplicates manually.

And this was it! It also makes more sense like this. In fact, the previous behavior was wrong. (getting disabled by disabling the second monitor)
Because - when enabling a second monitor and creating new docks and shelves and then disabling the second monitor, Workshelf first needs to know what to do with the new elements, instead of just disabling them.

Now about the primary change. I've changed the primary monitor and it happened again, like the last time, they all jumped to the primary monitor.
I've opened the Winstep settings and set them all to the proper monitors again.
And it works. You just have fix all dock and shelf positions after any change.
But the shelf was a little glitchy though. The docks worked directly, but the shelves were still jumping both to one monitor a few times, overlapping each other. But after fixing their position two or three times, all remained where it was at last. Tested it 10+ times, switching through all monitor setups. Seems to work fine now.

There are also three profiles now what makes perfect sense.

1. 1 Monitor
2. 2 Monitors (1= primary)
3. 2 Monitors (2= primary)

I've also updated the attachment.

Attachments:
Profiles.rar [1.07 KiB]
Downloaded 846 times
Profiles.rar [731 Bytes]
Downloaded 864 times

Last edited by toniostarcevic on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 pm 

What do you think about a cloning/mirroring like function?

I could think of just another duplicate button that's named "duplicate (mirror)" (or just mirror) which will create a non-editable duplicate that changes with its parent.
Just a suggestion for a future update, no hurry. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:

Well, glad to know, you got me worried for a second there. :)

Positions, settings, etc, are only saved at the time you switch to a different monitor profile. So, when you made your duplicates and then switched to a single monitor configuration, WorkShelf still didn't know what to do with the duplicates.

As you figured out, you now had to disable the duplicates and THEN switch to the dual monitor configuration again. At that point two things happened: WorkShelf saved the single monitor configuration where the duplicates were disabled, and THEN switched to the previously saved dual monitor configuration where the duplicates were NOT disabled. When switching back to the single monitor configuration, WorkShelf will now read from the previously saved profile and automatically disable the duplicates.

Just remember, if you add *new* docks or shelves or drawers, they won't exist in the saved configuration profiles, so WorkShelf won't know what to do with them until you've configured/positioned them in BOTH configurations.

Now all we need is Chuck's input to know if NextSTART is already applying the reserved areas or not.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:58 pm 

winstep wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:

Well, glad to know, you got me worried for a second there. :)

Positions, settings, etc, are only saved at the time you switch to a different monitor profile. So, when you made your duplicates and then switched to a single monitor configuration, WorkShelf still didn't know what to do with the duplicates.

As you figured out, you now had to disable the duplicates and THEN switch to the dual monitor configuration again. At that point two things happened: WorkShelf saved the single monitor configuration where the duplicates were disabled, and THEN switched to the previously saved dual monitor configuration where the duplicates were NOT disabled. When switching back to the single monitor configuration, WorkShelf will now read from the previously saved profile and automatically disable the duplicates.

Just remember, if you add *new* docks or shelves or drawers, they won't exist in the saved configuration profiles, so WorkShelf won't know what to do with them until you've configured/positioned them in BOTH configurations.

Now all we need is Chuck's input to know if NextSTART is already applying the reserved areas or not.

Reserved space is now... wait for it... reserving space! Seems to work from startup, disconnect/reconnect of external monitor, and system going to sleep.

Great work Jorge!

Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:
Reserved space is now... wait for it... reserving space! Seems to work from startup, disconnect/reconnect of external monitor, and system going to sleep.

Great work Jorge!

Yay!!! We really need that dance emoticon ahaha :mrgreen:

Thanks for the feedback, Chuck! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Great work Jorge!

Yay!!! We really need that dance emoticon ahaha :mrgreen:

Thanks for the feedback, Chuck! :)

So all clear now and done and dusted? :)

What about my license query from a couple of replies ago in re: VMs?

And, as we seem to be entering calmer waters all round now, any chance of having a quick look at my theme re: the vertical/horizontal menu titlebar problem Jorge? Shouldn't take you more than a few short minutes to figure it out, :) Then I could at last get back to doing some work on themes and finish that particular one by doing the taskbar etc.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:12 am 

Have any one else had this strange behaviour with beta?

Dock appears whenever i:
    Click a taskbar app button
    Maximize/minimize any window
    Any popup windows grabs focus

Then it disappears after short

version = 18.11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:43 pm 

SullyPanda76cl wrote:

Dock appears whenever i:
    Click a taskbar app button
    Maximize/minimize any window
    Any popup windows grabs focus

Then it disappears after short

version = 18.11

Nope, working fine here

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SullyPanda76cl wrote:

1. Make a backup of your current settings.

2. Now start playing with that dock's activation related settings ONE BY ONE until the issue goes away.

Sometimes the only way to figure out what might be going on is by trial and error.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:36 pm 

It would be possible to activate the option "Enable fast boot" it creates a task schedule for each Windows restart the key in the registry was reinserted. It often happens that the key is removed, such as installing windows updates.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next