Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 18.12 task bar overlap bug ?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:25 pm 

I finally updated from V12 last week and there seems to be a odd bug in the task bar now..

It seems the left most item in the task bar seems to be getting overlapped with another.. See enclosed image.

It doesn't do this all the time, and its just vanished on its own while I have been typing this.. very strange as V12 didn't have this issue.

Another tiny issue I have is the text "quick launch" etc seems to have dropped down a couple of pixels since the update and not centered like it was before. I half remember changing some theme files manually to fix stuff like that, but was years ago and have no clue how to fix it now :(

One reason for the update was (as I asked ages ago) is the task bar seems seems a little sluggish and was fixed in later versions. Though there does seem to be a speed up in some cases I think, but its hard to tell, but is there any settings to tweak to speed it up more ? It seems to take about 2 seconds then fades out..

I have tried looking to find how to turn off the fading effects as well as the new "movement" things where items now move to the left in the task bar when something is closed.. I'm not really a fan of "unnecessary" effects personally.

In anycase, still very pleased with the whole thing, don't get me wrong. Been using it for years and wish windoze would have something like this built in!

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 40.5 KiB | Viewed 18996 times ]

Post subject: Re: 18.12 task bar overlap bug ?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holy macaroni!!! :shock: A jump from v12.x is a HUGE jump. 6 years and literally thousands of new features, fixes, changes, etc...

A major change that might be affecting you right now is that Winstep Xtreme is now 100% high DPI compatible, while it was not back in v12.x.

So here is what I think is happening now: you made some changes years ago to make up for the fact that Xtreme was NOT high DPI compatible (e.g.; changing the font size of the tab text, etc). Obviously, now that Xtreme IS high DPI compatible and all adjustments are made automatically for you, the changes you made look wrong.

Here is what I recommend you do to start with: first make a backup of your current WorkShelf and NextSTART settings (remember you need to do this in both NextSTART and WorkShelf).

Now go to the Themes tab in WorkShelf Preferences, select and apply a different theme and then go back to Aero LowRes. See if that makes a difference to how the text in the tabs appears and then please let me know.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 pm 

ah yes.. the text is centered now, but its gone like half the size now. My right click menu has changed theme and its lost my windows background image now :(

I did backup and restore, but it never seems to work right somehow. I know I had huge issues with that when I set it all up originally. Like because I was using a mash of 2 different themes, it didn't seem to remember the options exactly correct.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:11 pm 

Where does winstep store all the settings, I tried to restore the folder in program files, but nothing changed :( See if I can restore this mornings back of the whole thing to get it back to how it all was before..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Look, I would have been able to help you restore all the things you mentioned, but that was before you took matters into your own hands. Now I am not so sure, you should have talked to me first lol

Restoring your old wallpaper would have been a simple matter of adding a 'Restore Wallpaper' internal command to a dock and then clicking on it. It's possible you might still be able to do that.

Other than that, restoring the settings you previously backed up would/should have put everything back to how it was.

Backup and Restore settings have no issues that I know about, many users use those functions all the time and nobody has reported problems so far. What exactly is the issue there?

The folder in Program Files also has nothing to do with it, nor is any data stored in there, since everything inside Program Files is read-only. Now I don't know what you restored into it. :roll:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:14 pm 

Where are all the theme setting stored ?

I just restored back my backup folders from this morning (whole C: drive is backed up) So winstep folders restored, resorted to restoring the registry just.

The whole thing has just gone to crap (before I started restoring stuff)

The backup thing I emailed about years ago.. Backup and restore doesn't work 100%. Some menus, theme stuff, some spacings in my icon layout, windows background, workshelp background and some menu themes are not restored..

See this is why I don't update stuff as it pretty much always ends up having to restore my C: drive to get things back to how they were before.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

exxos wrote:
Where are all the theme setting stored ?

Settings (NOT themes) are stored in the Windows Registry. Which is why restoring folders from a external file backup doesn't get your old settings back.

exxos wrote:
The backup thing I emailed about years ago.. Backup and restore doesn't work 100%. Some menus, theme stuff, some spacings in my icon layout, windows background, workshelp background and some menu themes are not restored..

Well, apologies if my memory doesn't stretch quite that far ehehe :D

EVERYTHING related to *Winstep* *settings* is saved in a backup and can be restored back. Windows background (i.e.; desktop wallpaper) is NOT a Winstep setting, it's a Windows setting.

Also, a backup only saves *settings*. It does not save theme bitmaps, icons or files, those need to be backed up separately. Furthermore, you need to backup (and later restore) NextSTART and WorkShelf settings separately, as I mentioned above.

I don't think the issue is with the function itself, but with your expectations of what it does. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:36 pm 

I can understand it doesn't save bitmaps etc.. but its not saving theme settings correctly.

If I just had the main theme saved, then it would probably be ok. But when I right click on the dock and change the appearance & themes part, then save and restore, it seems to forget those settings and just restores the main theme defaults..

I restored the windows system32 config folder as I thought that would be enough, but I still get a odd theme mash up.. it doesn't seem to have changed anything. The backup was done this morning (all C: drive) so it should have restored winstep :-\

Guess I will have to restore the whole partition to get it back now :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:42 pm 

I get odd mash ups in menus and all sorts like this...

Attachment:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 389.14 KiB | Viewed 18972 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

exxos wrote:
If I just had the main theme saved, then it would probably be ok. But when I right click on the dock and change the appearance & themes part, then save and restore, it seems to forget those settings and just restores the main theme defaults..

That's not right.

exxos wrote:
I restored the windows system32 config folder

What version of Windows are you running? The 32 bit version of Windows 7?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

exxos wrote:
I get odd mash ups in menus and all sorts like this...

That to me looks like a problem with the theme itself. That specific theme has a sub-theme for sub-menus, and it seems the sub-theme is missing for some reason which makes it use the default NeXT style menus.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:39 pm 

This was all working fine for years though... I am winning win7 64bit..

Basically I did the backup in winstep.. changed theme, restored the backup.. and what you see is the result.

My backup software isn't helping even after restoring registry files, so no idea whats going on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forget your backup software - you should not have used it for this in the first place. :D

You made a huge version jump, it's obvious things would be a bit different.

Anyway, open NextSTART Preferences, go to the Themes tab. Post a screenshot of it here, please, then click the 'Open Folder' button, see if you can find a folder that says SubTheme inside the folder that opens. If so, go into that SubTheme folder and post a screenshot of the contents here too.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:35 pm 

I shouldn't have needed to use my backup software in the first place :roll: I just had to restore my whole C: drive to get it all back to how its supposed to be..

The version jump has little to do with the backup/restore in winstep, this problem has been there since version 12! That's the first time I installed the software. Other than setting up the themes, I tweaked some font sizes and icon spacings in some files *somewhere* but this was several years ago now..

Attachment:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 89.91 KiB | Viewed 18964 times ]

Attachment:
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 129.04 KiB | Viewed 18964 times ]

Attachment:
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 85.27 KiB | Viewed 18964 times ]

Last edited by exxos on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:39 pm 

Can't seem to add more than 3 files at a time..

But this is how my theme is now.. and correct other than the dock bar text isn't centred anymore..

Attachment:
4.JPG
4.JPG [ 311.41 KiB | Viewed 18964 times ]

Attachment:
5.JPG
5.JPG [ 309.89 KiB | Viewed 18964 times ]

Attachment:
6.JPG
6.JPG [ 303.94 KiB | Viewed 18964 times ]

Though even when I get it looking like this after restoring the backup, the menus are messed up as shown before, and even the start button changes to "START" not the globe.. A lot of the fonts and sizes also get messed up.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next