Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Lost File Association
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:25 am 

I somehow lost the file association for .xtreme that auto-installs themes. I am not referring to downloaded zipped files, but the single file that auto-creates the theme folder in the correct location, and all relevant files. I have tried to manually associate it with several different Winstep exe's, but (unsurprisingly) none of them worked. Not sure when this issue came about, but I am pretty sure it was working 3 or 4 months ago, which was likely before I installed the latest Winstep v18.12 (Win10, x64), but I am not sure.

I am in need some expert guidance, as I am unable to install non-zipped themes... please advise.

Post subject: Re: Lost File Association
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Open WorkShelf Preferences -> Advanced tab -> Troubleshooting Options -> Restore File Associations.

If that doesn't work, you may have fallen victim to Windows 10's file association bug.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:57 am 

Thanks for the speedy reply! So I tried the Winstep restore file association, but that did not solve the issue (the icon however, went from blank white to a generic looking file icon, if that means anything).

Tried the gHacks option you linked to as well, and even though I am an admin on my account, and did the powershell with the "run as administrator" option, I repeatedly got a message that I was not authorized.

Would reinstalling Winstep reestablish the association? Would I need to perform a full uninstall first(I have Revo Pro if necessary), or just reinstalling over the existing version work? I only have Winstep 16 setup file, as I have just done the real-time upgrades since... is it possible to download your latest release and install that? Sorry for the barrage of questions... and thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

steelydanfan wrote:
Would reinstalling Winstep reestablish the association?

No. Re-installing Winstep would just do the same thing clicking that 'Restore File Associations' button did. So don't do that - a lot of work for nothing.

If you now righ-click a .xtreme file, is there an Open With context menu option? And if there is, is 'Winstep' an option in it?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:19 am 

Yes there is an open with option, but Winstep is not in the default list. I have browsed from the "Open With" dialog to the Winstep Programs folder and chosen various exe files, but none are winstep.exe

What should I try next?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:23 am 

So even if I do a full uninstall via Revo Pro to remove all Winstep related registry entries, that problem would persist on re-install? Huh... that surprises me. I could easily reestablish my long labored over shelf/dock customization by restoring from a back up if that would have worked - too bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

steelydanfan wrote:
Yes there is an open with option, but Winstep is not in the default list. I have browsed from the "Open With" dialog to the Winstep Programs folder and chosen various exe files, but none are winstep.exe

Wait, are you saying that winstep.exe does not exist inside

C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\

?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:31 am 

That is correct... no such file in the x86 programs folder. Struck me as odd too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That would explain it. Wonder what deleted that file - check your AV software logs.

Anyway, here is what you should do: exit Nexus Ultimate. Re-install Nexus Ultimate *on top* (do NOT uninstall anything first). Check C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\ to see if winstep.exe is back.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:46 am 

Decided to do a search of my entire C drive for Winstep.exe...

I found it here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Winstep\Backup.

I copied that and pasted it into the program x86\Winstep folder, and now all is good again. Not sure how it disappeared from the programs folder to begin with, but things seem fixed now.

I don't think an overwrite install is necessary, but will do your approach should any other idiosyncrasies arise. Thank you so much for your quick attention to this matter... excellent customer service.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

steelydanfan wrote:
I don't think an overwrite install is necessary, but will do your approach should any other idiosyncrasies arise.

Please do an overwrite install... that winstep.exe version you copied from the Backup folder is an older version, that's why it's there.

And btw, I meant re-install Winstep Xtreme, not Nexus Ultimate, sorry. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:57 am 

OK... The problem is, I only have the setup file from June 2016. Do I need to install that and then launch the update after I get a notification (I presume) to do so?

Or is there a way I can directly down load v18.12?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:48 am 

I did not want to download v18.12 from the products page, as I thought it would be a trial version and would somehow mess up my paid version. But I went ahead and did it anyway since I do a system back up nightly, so no big deal if it turned out to be a problem... which it did not, thankfully.

The reinstall did resurrect a few themes I had previously deleted (no biggie), but most importantly, it kept all the new themes I downloaded and the painstaking customization's I had applied to all themes.

Thanks again for all your help.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Most setup programs do not overwrite files that are newer. :)

Anyway, you can always download Winstep Xtreme from the Winstep web site, the 'trial' version there is fully functional - in fact, all the license key does is enable you to get past the 30 day trial period.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 14 posts ]