Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Browsers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:31 pm 

nexter wrote in another forum wrote:
Not necessarily so weird. While I can't speak for Chrome - as wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, too insecure and don't trust the big 'G' ;) - some apps will continue to display a Win 7 title bar etc. under Win 10. Have several here that do.

I hope you notice this Nexter.

I think I possibly asked you before but Ile ask again what browser you do use.
I recently ditched Firefox for chrome, an excellent choice I think.

Just back from a small break and catching up on the forums.

Post subject: Re: Browsers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:51 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:
nexter wrote in another forum wrote:
Not necessarily so weird. While I can't speak for Chrome - as wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, too insecure and don't trust the big 'G' ;) - some apps will continue to display a Win 7 title bar etc. under Win 10. Have several here that do.

I hope you notice this Nexter.

I think I possibly asked you before but Ile ask again what browser you do use.
I recently ditched Firefox for chrome, an excellent choice I think.

Just back from a small break and catching up on the forums.

Don't recall you asking before. Anyway, here goes.

In general, out of all ordinary browsers, Firefox is far and away the most secure, best gfx engine, and fastest. I use that for downloads only generally, usually under Linux as I've moved to using Linux almost exclusively for going online for added security and privacy.

For other browsing, I now use TOR Browser exclusively, which is based on Firefox but connects through The Onion network - better than a VPN, leaves you good as untraceable and even your ISP won't know what sites you visit - and has a few added security features. I mostly tend to run this on a Live Linux (TAILS) USB stick for added security, or my regular dual-boot Linux distro, OpenMandriva. TOR is also available for Windows (and Mac). One drawback of TOR is that it's useless for downloads. Otherwise, it rocks. It usually IDs as Firefox for Win 7, sometimes Win 10, rarely as actual Linux. :)

Before I went over to Linux for some of my general computer use and online activity late last year, I also used Opera on Windows 10 - based on Chrome but a bit more secure, but crap gfx engine and for downloads you have to disable the VPN.

Oddly enough, there was something on one of the tech news web sites about Microsoft working on moving the core OS to Linux - just as an aside here. I'd take that with a very large pinch of salt though. I would think that a Linux kernel would be just about the last kernel anyone would consider for migrating an OS or for a new OS.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:20 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Oddly enough, there was something on one of the tech news web sites about Microsoft working on moving the core OS to Linux

Hi Rick,

I'd read about Edge switching to Chromium (Google's Blink engine). I'd also read separately about the Core OS. But I hadn't heard about Core OS going Linux or anything like that. Rather, they made it sound like they are stripping legacy chunks of code out and, where necessary, replacing those chunks with modern code.

Could you find the Core OS going to Linux article again? I'd like to read that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:27 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DesertDwarf wrote:
nexter wrote:
Oddly enough, there was something on one of the tech news web sites about Microsoft working on moving the core OS to Linux

Hi Rick,

I'd read about Edge switching to Chromium (Google's Blink engine). I'd also read separately about the Core OS. But I hadn't heard about Core OS going Linux or anything like that. Rather, they made it sound like they are stripping legacy chunks of code out and, where necessary, replacing those chunks with modern code.

Hi Rick too :)
Sure, I'll check if I can find it again - shouldn't be too difficult. Somehow didn't quite make sense to me. If anything, I'd have thought it more likely that MS would go for a completely new kernel sitting on top a Hypervisor. Would seem the logical thing to do, esp. wrt maintaining place in the server market where they're facing very stiff competition from IBM and Linux etc.

BTW, I think moving Edge to Chromium is a big mistake - it's so full of holes. People think they're anonymous etc. with Chrome - not so. Only thing that is that is TOR. Which I'm in right now. Probably reporting itself as Firefox for Win 7. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:20 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
DesertDwarf wrote:
nexter wrote:

Hi Rick,

Sure, I'll check if I can find it again - shouldn't be too difficult. Somehow didn't quite make sense to me. If anything, I'd have thought it more likely that MS would go for a completely new kernel sitting on top a Hypervisor. Would seem the logical thing to do, esp. wrt maintaining place in the server market where they're facing very stiff competition from IBM and Linux etc.

BTW, I think moving Edge to Chromium is a big mistake - it's so full of holes. People think they're anonymous etc. with Chrome - not so. Only thing that is that is TOR. Which I'm in right now. Probably reporting itself as Firefox for Win 7. :)

Still looking Rick - no sign of it again so far. :/ Lots re: the Linux port of SysInternals everywhere, but that's not really news anyway, been planned for a very long time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:49 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
DesertDwarf wrote:
nexter wrote:

Still looking Rick - no sign of it again so far. :/ Lots re: the Linux port of SysInternals everywhere, but that's not really news anyway, been planned for a very long time.

Sorry Rick, no luck, haven't been able to find it again. I could have sworn it was somewhere on Linux.org forums, but nope. Then again, might have got del'd as false rumour perhaps?

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 6 posts ]