Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Winstep Privacy Feature
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:04 am 

I've been thinking about this for quite some time now.

How about Winstep having a privacy feature where you can lock folders that are on/in all Winstep applications.

The method used to lock a folder would be to right-click a folder and enter a code with the option to preferably use an unlimited length of characters (if limited, at least 20 characters) or a keypress (e.g. CTRL+H). I guess it could be entered via the context menu after right-clicking.

A cool option would to be able to batch lock folders in case the user wants to lock all folders say in a Grid Stack, WorkShelf and hotspot bump context menu to avoid having to do a ton of folders one at a time. Just highlight the folders and click Apply Lock. I guess highlighting folders on a dock might be a bit tougher to accomplish. If that can't be done or is too difficult to delve into, no problem.

To unlock a locked folder, left-click and enter a code or keypress into the prompt. Of course, when batch unlocking, highlight the desired folders and use the same method.

Post subject: Re: Winstep Privacy Feature
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

You mention both privacy and locking. Locking and privacy are two different things, in my mind. What is the intent?

1. Prevent modification of the container
  2. Hide the contents of the container
  3. Both

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:17 pm 

By privacy I mean that if someone uses your PC, they cannot open the folder or drive without entering the code to access it.

Once in while, a friend or family member might need to use your PC, so if you have certain folders or drives that you don't want accessed by anyone else, you can lock them.

If someone clicks on the locked folder or drive, a prompt will popup to enter the code, and of course, if the person doesn't know it, they can't access the folder or drive and will have to close the prompt and move on to a different folder or drive.

I think it's a cool idea that would make the program even better. Don't know if Jorge has seen this thread yet, but I hope he thinks so too!

I hope others chime in. I'm curious to know if anyone else thinks it's a feature that's a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The idea is good but only if implemented at system level (i.e.; by Windows itself, not by a 3rd party application) or it's completely useless.

AFAIK, Windows does not allow you to password protect specific folders (which is a bloody shame).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
The idea is good but only if implemented at system level (i.e.; by Windows itself, not by a 3rd party application) or it's completely useless.

AFAIK, Windows does not allow you to password protect specific folders (which is a bloody shame).

But surely Win 10 still blocks other users' private files, except for Admins? So simple solution, set up a guest account (either as a member of 'Guests' or 'users', and named anything other than 'Guest' or 'User'!). Just sign out of your account and let the guest log in into their assigned account. Complete privacy.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 pm 

winstep wrote:

Oh wow!! I'm totally shocked by this. I used to have a third-party program that either locked or encrypted folders etc, but stopped using it because it kept crashing another program I had on my PC.

I guess I'm mistaken. I thought there are many programs out there that prevent a folder/drive from being accessed without a password.

nexter wrote:
But surely Win 10 still blocks other users' private files, except for Admins? So simple solution, set up a guest account (either as a member of 'Guests' or 'users', and named anything other than 'Guest' or 'User'!). Just sign out of your account and let the guest log in into their assigned account. Complete privacy.

It isn't worth the hassle and just don't like using one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:27 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
winstep wrote:

Oh wow!! I'm totally shocked by this. I used to have a third-party program that either locked or encrypted folders etc, but stopped using it because it kept crashing another program I had on my PC.

I guess I'm mistaken. I thought there are many programs out there that prevent a folder/drive from being accessed without a password.

nexter wrote:

It isn't worth the hassle and just don't like using one.

Where's the hassle in setting up another user a/c? It's child's play. Takes a couple of minutes, tops. :) Or for that matter, signing out and logging into another a/c - again, no hassle. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:20 pm 

Just an annoyance to me. It's not worth. Don't want the extra stuff on my PC.

If I were sharing my PC with someone, then I would have no choice. I don't even use a password to log into Windows because that's just another hassle/annoyance to me. I don't need it. I'm the only here (other than my mom who can't use a PC) so why use one?

As I said earlier, it's once in a blue moon that a friend or relative stops by and needs to use my PC.

The reason I use Winstep Xtreme (and I recommend everyone should) is because it makes things much easier, virtually hassle-free. For me, using a PC should be as stress-free as possible. The less things you have to click on, read through, scroll thorough etc to access a file the better.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]