Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Windows 10 Dark Theme Issue
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:58 pm 

Well, I'm back folks! As you noticed, I came back to cover for Jorge while he's on vacation and I'll take care of all the problems and do the development work until he gets back. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It isn't even April Fool's Day, but I just couldn't resist!!

On a serious note, as some of you may have noticed, I've been away from the Winstep Forum (and the internet) for quite some time. Unfortunately, I've had an extremely bad year so far. Until recently, I've been a paragon of health, but suffered a couple of medical setbacks, one of which literally almost killed me. Out of sheer coincidence, Jorge is now on vacation. I read it on one of the threads.

If he isn't able to help, I'm hoping someone here can.

I'm new to Win 10 and now have a Win 10 PC and for some reason, the Win 10 OS Dark theme will work slightly on the dialog box that changes it, but won't work properly on Windows Explorer/folders.

I've searched around and saw some 3rd party stuff that seems too complicated to install, or requires tampering with the registry.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Dark Theme Issue
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:49 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'm very sorry to hear of your health problems, having been there, done that, got the t-shirt and all that and left disabled etc., so commiserations.

I've only been using win 10 since the beginning of this year myself and quickly gave up on all that appearance stuff, so I'm afraid I'm of no help with your problem. Have you tried searching the Microsoft online help? (I know, tends to be next to useless usually....) Other than that, have you tried the MS forums?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As far as I know Win10 dark mode only affects UWP apps (and UWP Windows settings panels) not Win32 applications, so your Explorer windows will appear in the same boring white.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:37 am 

nexter wrote:
I'm very sorry to hear of your health problems, having been there, done that, got the t-shirt and all that and left disabled etc., so commiserations

Thanks for your concern. I'm glad that I didn't become disabled. I hope you're dealing with it as best as possible.

winstep wrote:
As far as I know Win10 dark mode only affects UWP apps (and UWP Windows settings panels) not Win32 applications, so your Explorer windows will appear in the same boring white.

Well, after doing more extensive research, it turns out that there's nothing I can do until MS releases a new build/update that enables the full dark theme.

There is currently a build that does it, but it is only available to Windows Insider participants since May of this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:23 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
nexter wrote:
I'm very sorry to hear of your health problems, having been there, done that, got the t-shirt and all that and left disabled etc., so commiserations

Thanks for your concern. I'm glad that I didn't become disabled. I hope you're dealing with it as best as possible.

Have to. :) Thx. :) Hope you're fully recovered or if not fully then soon.
Windy wrote:
winstep wrote:

Well, after doing more extensive research, it turns out that there's nothing I can do until MS releases a new build/update that enables the full dark theme.

There is currently a build that does it, but it is only available to Windows Insider participants since May of this year.

Well, it won't be all that long then.... All that UWP etc. stuff really scares the hell out of me - ever less control for the user etc. - and besides, Win32 is a (im-?)perfectly good API so why can't they stick with it? Oh, I forget - more revenue, that's why. :P

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:32 pm 

Well folks, I've got it!! :D The Dark Theme/Light Theme is installed! Not sure when it was it released, but so far (even though it's only been a few hours) I'm happy with it.

The odd thing is, I was not alerted to the update. If it weren't for a fluke, I still would be without it.

This is what happened. I had a recording from my cellphone on my PC that needed to be rotated. I thought I would be able to do it with no problem in the same way an image is done. I quickly found out that isn't the case. I then searched the net for an answer and eventually found it.

The answer is to install Windows Movie Maker, but that isn't as easy and straightforward as one would think using Win10. I found a great link to it, downloaded and tried to install it but I kept getting an error saying it didn't install. At some point, a message popped up saying I had to update Windows.

I reluctantly went ahead and did it. It took more than an hour of downloading and auto-restarting. Oh BTW, when that message popped up, another one telling me to update from the great program Driver Booster https://filehippo.com/search?q=driver+booster a multitude of things.

After the Win10 update was complete, I was shocked when the new Dark Theme was installed! I'll keep a sharp watch out for any issues that arise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:38 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
At some point, a message popped up saying I had to update Windows.

Oh BTW, when that message popped up, another one telling me to update from the great program Driver Booster https://filehippo.com/search?q=driver+booster a multitude of things.

Wow. That's scary to me. I can't see how Driver Booster would be triggered by a message saying you need to update Windows unless some other software was piggy-backed on whatever you were playing with.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 pm 

Never thought of it like that. It isn't the first time that has happened. I just assumed that it could be a coincidence or that the software can detect a change in pertinent software once the OS has been updated telling it that the correct drivers etc. are no longer installed.

The software that it updated was as usual, display adapters, sound, video and game controllers, system devices, network adapters, monitors, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, bluetooth, DVD ROM drives and several other items.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:34 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I have not found a need to update drivers outside of Windows' own device detection and update routine in years, with the following exceptions:

1. Nvidia's driver for my graphics card, but I like their GeForce Experience, so that's just dandy with me.
  2. Corsair's iCUE software to play with my Strafe RGB's (keyboard) lighting settings. I don't think it includes a driver per se because the keyboard is already handled as an HID by Windows.

Given all the support I gave to people who had inadvertently downloaded something bad, I just let Windows set up everything for me and if something isn't working, only then do I try to find an external solution.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I'm also an apologist of the 'don't fix it if it ain't broken' philosophy.

The latest is not always the greatest (unless we are talking about Winstep applications, of course! :P )

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:23 am 

winstep wrote:
Yeah, I'm also an apologist of the 'don't fix it if it ain't broken' philosophy.

Me too, but there are almost always exceptions to the rule. I've never had any problems using it. In fact, it saved me numerous times. On many occasions my PCs (both Win7 & 10) started acting a little weird because of a new program I installed, an update of a program, or a Windows update.

When I let Driver Booster scan the system, it found outdated drivers etc. I let it update them and viola, problem gone!

After the Win10 and Driver Booster updates, my PC is running faster now.

winstep wrote:
The latest is not always the greatest (unless we are talking about Winstep applications, of course! :P )
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:01 pm 

DesertDwarf, Jorge and anyone else, Driver Booster automatically makes a restore point before installing anything as a precaution, so there shouldn't be any fear of something on your PC getting screwed up. Making an ISO image beforehand is another option.

I just checked. Here are the scan settings for Driver Booster. I think it explains how it works and the verification process it uses.

There is no doubt that it installed/updated items that helped with the Windows Dark Theme/Light Theme update.

Please let me know what your opinion is about the Scan Settings image I posted.

Attachment:
Driver Booster Scan Settings.jpg
Driver Booster Scan Settings.jpg [ 112.45 KiB | Viewed 24021 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:44 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yep, if it ain't broke don't fix it, definitely. Never try to solve problems that don't (yet) exist - you're more likely than not to create new ones. Also, being a very, very suspicious-minded so-and-so, I never trust any apps that purport to automatically scan for things like driver updates etc. etc. Hell I don't even trust Windows updates so tend to delay them as long as possible, so still also waiting for 1809. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 13 posts ]