Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: NextStart Multi Monitors
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:36 pm 

Hello I looked could not find the info I search for (might be there just did not see it) Anyway is there a way to run the NextStart task bar on 2 monitors at the same time? I do not want to span it over both I rather have 2 NextStart task bars, one on each monitor. Thanks for any help!! I love this program and I've tried them all!! this one is by far the best!! :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: NextStart Multi Monitors
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks! :)

You can't do that currently, but it's high on the to-do list (i.e.; something to work on once I finish adding support for multiple and vertical shelves)

By the way, how do you envision something like that working in terms of Start button, Quick launch icons and the system tray?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:35 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:

You can't do that currently, but it's high on the to-do list (i.e.; something to work on once I finish adding support for multiple and vertical shelves)

By the way, how do you envision something like that working in terms of Start button, Quick launch icons and the system tray?

Although I wasn't asked here, but this is an interesting question so thought I'd give my 2p's worth anyway.... :)

Now, if I wanted a NextSTART Taskbar and wanted it on two monitors at once (which I would in that case), I would want everything in it that's in it on the first monitor, definitely. (And I will look at the taskbar again sometime soon anyway, so would be nice to be able to have it on the big(-ish) CRT as well as I hate working from the laptop's screen, at least when I'm able to sit at my desk.)

In this context, another thought's been bugging me. Will it, at some point, be possible to have different menus, shelves and docks not only on different monitors but also on different virtual desktops?

Not that, at this point, I'm overly taken with the VDs that I've tried, i.e., the Win10 ones and Dexpot. The latter not only doesn't play nice with Winstep here (or vice versa, depending on how you look at it I suppose....) but also makes a complete mess of desktop icons. I do have just a few of those, usually hidden, for those rare occasions when I need to be without Winstep, and having them randomly re-ordered by Dexpot every time sucks big time so D. is 'suspended' here. (Now wouldn't it be nice if NeXus could give us VDs, รก la Fiend? ;) )

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:01 pm 

I would like to see it be able to do all the things it can do now on both monitors. The only change I could go for is the ability to open the windows default start menu on the monitor you press the start button on. By that I mean if I press it now it opens on the monitor were the window default task bar is.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 713.4 KiB | Viewed 17038 times ]

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage
 Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Williamsson wrote:
the ability to open the windows default start menu on the monitor you press the start button on. By that I mean if I press it now it opens on the monitor were the window default task bar is.

Ok, now that is something else.

Back in the Windows Vista/XP days, we (and by 'we' I mean me and other dock developers, etc...) automatically moved the Windows Start Menu next to where the mouse pointer was (so basically what you are asking for).

But then Windows 7 was released, and for some strange reason I never quite understood (known only to Microsoft programmers) if you tried to move the Windows Start Menu anywhere else other than where it expected to pop up, it would start displaying MAJOR painting problems as you moved the mouse over it (and by major I mean MAJOR).

So, the only solution for us was to make the Windows Start Menu appear in its original location (better than nothing, I guess).

To be honest, I still haven't tried to move the *Windows 10* Start Menu to a location on the screen other than where it would originally pop up. It might work, it might not - but now at least you know why it always pops up on the primary monitor.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:12 pm 

Ok, not a huge deal anyway I just thought with Window 10 it might work, reason is if you select display task bar on both screens in Window 10 task bar settings the default windows task bar will open the start menu on that chosen monitor from which you click it.(see images 2 & 3) Also in my case it is showing it on the secondary monitor, when I click the windows start menu from the winstart task bar.it is not my primary monitor. However (LOL) if I click the window button on the work shelf it opens it only on the primary monitor no mater which monitor I click it from (see image 5) So when it comes to were the "nextstart task bar" start menu button opens depends on which monitor you have your "Windows 10" task bar placed. (see last image in next post) But I have no idea on the programming side of things... Cheers!

Attachments:
File comment: Image 2
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 840.67 KiB | Viewed 17024 times ]
File comment: Image 3
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 729.23 KiB | Viewed 17024 times ]
File comment: Image 5
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 859.53 KiB | Viewed 17024 times ]

Last edited by Williamsson on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:41 pm 

last image,

Attachments:
File comment: Final image
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 640.92 KiB | Viewed 17024 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
To be honest, I still haven't tried to move the *Windows 10* Start Menu to a location on the screen other than where it would originally pop up.

And now that I had time to do this, I did. Unfortunately Windows 10 hosts the Start Menu inside a window that is always the same size as the desktop. As such, the size of the Start Menu itself cannot be determined and thus it cannot be moved.

Pity.

The only thing I would be able to move is the Search window that pops up when you type something into the Start Menu.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:06 am 

winstep wrote:

Hi Jorge...
Same task bar on both screens (as previously mentioned by others here...) including all sections. Only variation I think should be the program open in screen 1 should only appear on taskbar screen 1, programs open on screen 2 should appear on taskbar screen 2...
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:08 am 

I run 4 monitors on my system and I have been using Xtreme for years. With Win10 there is the issue of the taskbar on my other monitors. I would love to just see NextStart ONLY replace my primary monitor and NOT SET THE AUTOHIDE TO OFF on my other displays. It has gotten annoying having to always go into Win10 setttings and uncheck the autohide. I have tested this out and found that it is Winstep that is enabling the autohide on my secondary monitors. Win10 already has to options to only show the applications that are you on other displays so I am happy with having NextStart on my main and then using Win10 for my others but I wish it would just have an option to leave secondary monitor taskbars alone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately there is no option to turn on taskbar auto-hide only for Windows 10 taskbars in specific monitors: it's all or nothing.

When replacing the Windows taskbar with the NextSTART taskbar, the Windows taskbar needs to be hidden for obvious reasons. Likewise, when not in auto-hide mode the Windows taskbar is reserving screen space, and the only way to prevent that is to turn auto-hide on for it.

The Windows Taskbar will also spontaneously make itself visible again under certain conditions, and even though the Winstep application is constantly monitoring it and hides again, if the Windows Taskbar is fully expanded this will result in an annoying 'flicker'.

I think you will agree that a much better solution would be to finally give the NextSTART taskbar the ability to show in multiple monitors, but I don't know when this will be implemented.

Here I simply prevent the Windows taskbar from appearing on monitors other than the primary (there is a setting for that). You can also choose to display both the Windows Taskbar and the NextSTART taskbar at the same time.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]