Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Granted, I'm probably not typical in this.

It would actually be a very useful feature to locate files/documents quickly, especially if you are displaying the contents of very large folders as tabs in the Shelf.

A 'global' option would probably also be useful (one that would search the contents of all tabs, for instance) but a lot slower and much harder to implement properly (or perhaps make a dynamic 'Search' tab out of it displaying the results of your search, instead of switching to the target tab, like the Windows Start Menu does - this would also solve the problem of several files matching your search query).

The latter is actually a good way to solve the multiple matching issue: instead of making the selection cursor jump to the matching item, you would simply 'filter out' all the non-matching results. Of course, we then would need some way to abort the search so the full contents of that tab are displayed again.

I can see what you mean, and why it might be useful to some. But for me, it's simply not the way I work, and IMO not the way a shelf should function. If you have a tab with a very large folder, you'd be better off displaying that as a menu, and you should *know* well enough what you're looking for.If you have more items in your shelf/shelves than you can easily remember, you're not doing things right AFAIC. ;) The most items I tend to have in my personal setup in a tab (a project one) would be about 50-60, depending on what I'm currently working on. And I know every single one of those and can locate an item visually in a jiffy.

Contents of folders are, IMO and IME, best placed in menus. I even construct special folders for my menus, e.g., I have a categorised menu with all the apps and utils on the local system that I'm ever likely to need to use (used to have the same on the shelf of the FileViewer under NeXT already, and even on the Amigas and later on OS/2 and then always from NT4 on with the Windows Startmenu), another for apps etc. on my LAN, and various others.

But, having said all that, I think your mention of perhaps a global Winstep search may have something to it. I'd see that as a separate applet, offering options for global, shelf, menu, and dock only search, in its own window and giving results more or less as the Windows 10 Startmenu does. That I think would be the most useful option. Although personally, I doubt I'd use it more than perhaps twice in a decade. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 pm 

Maybe this is already on this wish list: A timer (count down) in the alarm management. Gladly with the possibility to save and retrieve values. And also with a comfortable management of alarms (e.g: Snooze alarm, time after countdown expires, pre-alarm a few minutes before time expires).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:09 pm 

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to implement feature that lets drag and drop files into an icon on the dock and triggers/maximizes the window like it does on windows task bar, example : dragging and dropping image into minimzed photoshop. Second feature I would really love to see is right clicking on file explorer and seeing all folders that i pinned for quick acces.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

thortor wrote:
I was wondering if it is possible to implement feature that lets drag and drop files into an icon on the dock and triggers/maximizes the window like it does on windows task bar, example : dragging and dropping image into minimzed photoshop.

That feature is already there, but you must have the dock set to display running applications.

thortor wrote:
Second feature I would really love to see is right clicking on file explorer and seeing all folders that i pinned for quick acces.

Jump-lists are already on the to-do list.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:07 am 

Thank you for quick reposnse. Looking forward for updates ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:04 am 

I don't know if this is already possible, please help me if it is.

I want to be able to open my shelf folders in windows explorer by right clicking the folder and pressing open even when "show items in a menu" option is checked

Basically,
left click the folder = shows items in menu
Right click+open the folder = shows folder content in windows explorer

Edit: Nevermind, i updated to beta and it had that feature

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Josanity wrote:
Edit: Nevermind, i updated to beta and it had that feature

:P :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:39 pm 

Simple little thing that occurred to me recently. I use the Recycle Bin a lot and it would be nice if the 'Empty Recycler' line could be highlighted or coloured to make it stand out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RustyHume wrote:
Simple little thing that occurred to me recently. I use the Recycle Bin a lot and it would be nice if the 'Empty Recycler' line could be highlighted or coloured to make it stand out.

You could simply use the 'Empty Recycler' internal command as an icon in your dock instead. Can't get any more highlighted than that. :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:42 am 

I wish that you could create a version for Linux! :D

I left Win 7 for Linux back in May and currently use Cairo. It really makes me miss Nexus. It is still one of the best written programs I have used.

Cairo is okay, but is much harder to configure and I really miss the shelf. Also it does seem as if development of it has stopped. It works well and is solid aside from the occasional crash

You wouldn't necessarily have to open source it, you could keep it closed, it is well worth the cost. I am betting it will become easier to develop for Linux in the future.

It must be getting annoying playing whack-a-mole with that virus that is Windows 10 :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:09 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yellow wrote:
I wish that you could create a version for Linux! :D

I left Win 7 for Linux back in May and currently use Cairo. It really makes me miss Nexus. It is still one of the best written programs I have used.

Cairo is okay, but is much harder to configure and I really miss the shelf. Also it does seem as if development of it has stopped. It works well and is solid aside from the occasional crash

You wouldn't necessarily have to open source it, you could keep it closed, it is well worth the cost. I am betting it will become easier to develop for Linux in the future.

It must be getting annoying playing whack-a-mole with that virus that is Windows 10 :wink:

Rather than just a 'version' of the Winstep suite for Linux, I think it would make much more sense - as well as I personally would love it - to have a custom, i.e., complete new, Linux distro with Winstep extended as its WM and desktop. I use mainly Linux for most things now other than gfx and more serious word processing (as all Linux gfx apps are not up to pro scratch, and neither is that darn Libre Office up to much though I may be able to manage more with Apache FreeOffice).

It really wouldn't be too difficult to use say Fedora, Debian, OpenSUSE, or Mandriva or even Mint as a base and large parts of WindowMaker for the window manager with Winstep as the desktop. And proprietary/paid for Linux distros are on the up. Developer tools/IDEs are pretty damn good these days and free. A 'Linstep' distro could potentially be a killer!

We always used to see plenty of Linux users craving a Winstep version, and with virtually all current Linux distros copying Windows 10, a 'Linstep' one really would stand out.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:31 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

'Linstep' aside, here's another idea for the future perhaps. How about creating support for multi-state (dual would do - we already have that with the recycler albeit in the form of separate icons) within Winstep? That is, e.g. having two icon versions within the same image file, side by side, one representing normal, inactive state, the other displayed say when app is running or folder or doc open? Some older OSs used dual state (notably Amiga) and even multi-state icons, and I always thought this was a very neat and useful feature. NeXT used multi-state, albeit with separate icons, and could indicate e.g. open docs etc., a file or app that was busy (i.e., wouldn't be able to accept further input until current task finished), etc.

Obviously, this would also necessitate appropriate icon sets. At the same time, this could present an opportunity to create completely original new icons that would further set Winstep apart and provide yet more 'eye-candy' but with a practical purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:19 pm 

Good day!

I really love the search function in Winstep the one where you just type when a shelf/folder/grid stack is open.

I do not know if this function is already available but is it possible to reset the search bar once the shelf/folder/grid stack is closed?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Josanity wrote:
I do not know if this function is already available but is it possible to reset the search bar once the shelf/folder/grid stack is closed?

What do you mean exactly? If by 'closing' you mean 'collapsing' (e.g.; as when the Shelf collapses into tabs) then all you need to do is press ESC to dismiss the search bar when you expand it again.

Otherwise, if a Grid Stack closes while the Search bar is open, when you open it again you won't see the Search bar anymore (nor will there be any content filtering applied). Or is that NOT what is happening there?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:39 am 

winstep wrote:
What do you mean exactly? If by 'closing' you mean 'collapsing' (e.g.; as when the Shelf collapses into tabs) then all you need to do is press ESC to dismiss the search bar when you expand it again.

This one. I mean this is a wishlist thread anyway. If possible I want a function where the search bar resets even without pressing "ESC" when you reexpand the tab after collapsing it with a search query

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 58  Next