Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: The Most Awesome Way to Test the Power/Graphics of Your
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
An i9?!! Wow!! That's insane!! I wonder who has more power, you or Jorge? Jorge, you better watch out! :lol:

LOL. Well, he has 12 cores, I 'only' have 8 on my i9-9900K. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to be overclocking his CPU and mine is overclocked to 5Ghz on all cores, so on a per-core base mine is faster nha nha :P :wink:

Of course, he also has 64GB of RAM, which is 32GB more than I do, but mine is overclocked to 3600Mhz (and I only need that much RAM to run Firefox Quantum anyway lol). :)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula
Processor: Intel i9-9900K 8-core @5Ghz on all cores
Video Card: ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC edition 11GB GDDR6
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 @3600Mhz
Storage:
Intel Optane 905P NVMe PCIe 960GB
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M2 2TB
Crucial MX500 SATA SSD 1TB
WD Digital Blue HDD 4TB

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:42 am 

Okay, I have good news and bad news. Through a bit of luck I found the solution.

I installed a video editing program which resulted in somehow breaking MPC-HD. That's only part 1 of the bad news. So I uninstalled and reinstalled it. When I played the 8k file, it was behaving like some of the other players where it was very lightly stuttering.

I went through just about every setting possible to get it back to how it was but to no avail. Then part 1 of the good news happened. I found out what the problem was. There's a setting that I think can only be accessed via Programs > K-Lite Codec Pack > Codec Tweak Tool > Various Tweaks.

In there, there's a setting that allows the user to change it to 64-bit. Once I checked the box, saved, closed the dialog and played the file, it was back to playing the file flawlessly without any adjustments.

Now, here's part 2 of the good news. I uninstalled and reinstalled VLC hoping to get the same result. After a lot of trial and error I found out how to make VLC play the 8k file seamlessly (no stuttering, skipping etc). Note, I said seamlessly, not flawlessly.

The video settings have to be set (Tools > Options > Video, and change in the pull-down) to either OpenGL video output for Windows, or OpenGL video output.

Now for part 2 of the bad news. Even though it plays the file seamlessly in either of those two settings, the colors and sharpness don't pop like they do in MPC-HD because no adjustments to the color, sharpness etc. can be made. :( The sliders for the adjustments move, but nothing changes.

So, I have to put the setting back to Automatic instead of OpenGL video output for Windows, or OpenGL video output so I can adjust the color etc. for my other files.

So, the bottom line is that I can play the 8k file in VLC, but it doesn't look as good as it does when using MPC-HD.

BTW, I got MPC-HD with the installation of K-Lite Codec Pack. The best and safest place to DL programs are from https://filehippo.com/

P.S. Jorge, i wondered if your products are on the site. So I entered Winstep in the search and Nexus came up, but you don't have anything on there for Xtreme. :shock: I did notice you have a hyperlink to this site, but I'm sure many people won't notice it.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 pm 

Okay, here’s the update. I found out the cause of the dreaded VLC 8k file problem, but unfortunately not the total solution.

1. Switching the Nvidia Control Panel settings under ‘Adjust video image settings’ > ‘Apply these setting to my video content:’ to ‘Use the Nvidia setting’ I leave the settings for ‘Noise reduction’ so the video player is in control.

2. Switching the Nvidia Control Panel settings under ‘Adjust video color settings’ > ‘How do you make color adjustments?’ to ‘With the Nvidia settings’

Making those changes and adjusting the colors makes the video show great!

The playback issue that arises is when I play it in full screen and the Windows setting is ‘Duplicate these displays’ which is my default setting. To prevent that from happening, I have to disable either my monitor or TV, or change the settings in Windows to ‘Extend these displays’. (I don’t use ‘Extend these displays’ because I can’t bump Winstep on the right side).

Now here’s the crazy part! If both are enabled (while in the problem ‘Duplicate these displays’ setting) and I run any program in ‘Stay on top’ mode and let it stay on top of VLC, it plays perfectly! I shrunk whatever program to it’s smallest size to see if that has any effect but it plays perfectly. However, if I minimize the program so it no longer shows above the video while it’s playing, it goes back to having playback issues.

I spoke with Nvidia support about this and they’re at a loss about it. We spent a couple of days on the issue before I tried the ‘Stay on top’ thing. They said to contact them after trying further research to see what I can come up with.

The tech said the reason this happens as far as both the monitor and TV being enabled in ‘Duplicate these displays’, is that the frequencies are slightly different which causes a problem.

The frequencies say the same thing, 60hz, but the tech said one of them is slightly lower than the other, like 59. something and the other 60hz.

Can someone explain what in the heck is happening here and find a total solution?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:02 pm 

Well, here's the update to this issue. With the new PC I can play the DL 8k file with no problems in Movies & TV, Photos and VLC which all had problems on the other PC. It will also play with no problems with Adjustments and Effects enabled in VLC. MPC-HC (X64) (as with the other PC) plays the file flawlessly.

I installed SM Player. This player can play the file almost flawlessly. I can barely notice stuttering.

I also installed 5kPlayer, Format Player, GOM Player, KM Player and SM Player. I uninstalled KM Player. It can't play the file or other "difficult" test videos I tried. 5kPlayer, Format Player and GOM Player, cannot smoothly play the file.

The only thing that still can't be done is to play the file with Sharpen enabled in VLC. I was told in the VLC forum this is not possible. I assume it's because the file is extremely graphically demanding. It will play with 'Banding Removal' and/or 'Film Grain' enabled, but not smoothly.

Maybe in the future with the advent of better graphics cards and processors, playing such a file in VLC will play smoothly with 'Sharpen', 'Banding Removal' and 'Film Grain' enabled.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:16 am 

According to me, for checking graphics of your PC, you have to play heavy games. Heavy games and 4k Editing is best option for checking graphics of your pc.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2