Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Shelf folders open as grid stacks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:10 am 

Hi, I set to open folder from the shelf as grid stacks. It works but the opened folder (grid stack) only shows one icon. I can't seem to find the option to change the grid stack width.

Grid stacks from the docks works well though.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Shelf folders open as grid stacks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No issues here. Are you sure this isn't an 'available space' problem?

Also, did you change the number of icon rows and/or columns in the Advanced tab of that Grid Stack's Properties Panel?

Finally, can you please post a screenshot of your desktop with the Grid Stack on the Shelf open?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:14 pm 

Hi, it was working a while back and i never had any problems. All i did was change the pixel size for the shelf. Then I noticed that the grid stacks got smaller so I put it back to the initial pixel size where the grid stack showed the entire folder but now it only shows one file.

When I press the settings button in the grid stacks it just goes to the entire workshelf advanced tab.

EDIT: Restored my backup (backup every once in a while people!), grid stacks are working again showing everything in the folder. Tried to edit pixel size of shelf again and the same problem happened.

My question now is why don't the grid stacks from shelf have the same "properties" tab as the one from the docks.

Attachments:
helllooo.jpg
helllooo.jpg [ 348.94 KiB | Viewed 14939 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Josanity wrote:
When I press the settings button in the grid stacks it just goes to the entire workshelf advanced tab.

That's now how you get to the Grid Stack's Property panel (although it should be). Instead of *left* clicking on the little settings symbol, you *right* click and then select 'Grid Stack Properties' from the context menu that pops up. Alternatively you right click on the parent *icon* (the icon you click to open the Grid Stack) and you do the same.

Josanity wrote:
My question now is why don't the grid stacks from shelf have the same "properties" tab as the one from the docks.

And THAT is the wrong question but with the right intention. They do. The real question is 'Why doesn't left clicking the settings 'button' in the Shelf/Grid Stack/Drawer open the properties dialog for that Shelf/Grid Stack/Drawer instead of the main Preferences panel?'

You see, up until very recently, there were no Grid Stacks nor Drawers, and there was only support for a single Shelf. As such, it made sense for the settings button in the Shelf to open main Preferences.

Once support for multiple Shelves, Drawers and Grid Stacks was added, this was no longer true though, clicking the settings symbol in a Shelf, etc, *should* open the Properties panel for that Shelf, NOT main Preferences - but here is the problem: throughout the YEARS users got used to pressing that little symbol to access main Preferences.

If I changed that now not only would that wreck havoc with the muscle memory of many existing users, as it would also make it harder for new users to find access to main Preferences. And so, after asking users here, a decision was made to let things stay as they were.

Quote:
EDIT: Restored my backup (backup every once in a while people!), grid stacks are working again showing everything in the folder. Tried to edit pixel size of shelf again and the same problem happened.

Ok, that might be a bug then. I need to know *exactly* what changes you make that cause this problem to re-appear (i.e.; step-by-step instructions with *exact* settings and values). :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:43 am 

I don't have a problem with it anymore, restoring backups when the problem occurs is not much of a hassle. Although i would like to help if this is a bug

winstep wrote:
That's now how you get to the Grid Stack's Property panel (although it should be). Instead of *left* clicking on the little settings symbol, you *right* click and then select 'Grid Stack Properties' from the context menu that pops up. Alternatively you right click on the parent *icon* (the icon you click to open the Grid Stack) and you do the same.

Right clicking the grid stack does nothing for me, as stated clicking on the preferences just shows the workshelf preferences/setting window ( see attached photo)
Right clicking the parents menu (icon on the shelf) does nothing as well, the grid stack properties is not showing up. Note that I have the "Show full right click context-menu options" to Always

winstep wrote:
Ok, that might be a bug then. I need to know *exactly* what changes you make that cause this problem to re-appear (i.e.; step-by-step instructions with *exact* settings and values).

I right click my shelf, go to shelf properties, go to appearance tab, change the pixel size from 48 pixels (initial/default) to any size and the problem occurs even if I put it back to 48 the problem does not go.

Again, sorry if this is dragging too long or it may be only a problem I am experiencing. But as stated restoring backup when the problem happens isn't that much of a hassle to me

Attachments:
winstep.jpg
winstep.jpg [ 380.36 KiB | Viewed 14922 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, ok, I understand what is happening now with the right click context menus. Let's see if I can explain this properly:

Grid Stacks usually exist as permanent 'objects' inside other Shelves, Docks, Drawers or even other Grid Stacks. These are created by *deliberately* adding them via the 'Insert New -> Grid Stack' context menu option. As such, each of these user-created Grid Stacks exists in an internal database and has therefore independent settings.

This said, there is also a feature that allows you to open all *folders* in a folder-type Shelf tab or folder-type Grid Stack (i.e.; Shelf tabs or Grid Stacks showing the contents of *a folder in your hard drive*) as *temporary* Grid Stacks (the same way you can also open them in a menu instead of an Explorer window), which is what you are doing in that screenshot.

These folders are NOT permanent Grid Stacks, they are just folders whose content is being shown in a Grid Stack format. Since these type of temporary Grid Stacks are created on-the-fly, so to speak, and destroyed as soon as you close them, they do not exist as Winstep objects and as such do not have configurable settings - they will use the settings of the *parent* Shelf or Grid Stack instead.

This is why you don't find any 'Grid Stack Settings' option in the right click context menu of these temporary Grid Stacks.

Anyway, I would still like to know all the steps required to create the issue you were experiencing. Step by step with lots of details please.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:57 pm 

winstep wrote:
These folders are NOT permanent Grid Stacks, they are just folders whose content is being shown in a Grid Stack format. Since these type of temporary Grid Stacks are created on-the-fly, so to speak, and destroyed as soon as you close them, they do not exist as Winstep objects and as such do not have configurable settings - they will use the settings of the *parent* Shelf or Grid Stack instead.

AHHHH now I get it!! That makes sense!

Sorry for replying late i've been buried in projects and schoolwork.

winstep wrote:
Anyway, I would still like to know all the steps required to create the issue you were experiencing. Step by step with lots of details please.

I don't know how much help i could provide i just really do these steps
Josanity wrote:
I right click my shelf, go to shelf properties, go to appearance tab, change the pixel size from 48 pixels (initial/default) to any size and the problem occurs even if I put it back to 48 the problem does not go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:00 pm 

Josanity wrote:
I don't know how much help i could provide i just really do these steps
Josanity wrote:

Perhaps if you maid a video of the problem. I record with 'OBS Studio'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No need, figured out what the problem is and fixed it for next release.

This is a bug caused by the new feature in v19.2 that allows you to set a fixed size (number of icon rows and number of icons per row) for Grid Stacks.

Temporary Grid Stacks inherit their settings from the parent Shelf (Shelves and Grid Stacks are internally the same thing and share the same data structure). Likewise, the same dialogs are shared, the difference is that the dialog will say 'Shelf', 'Grid Stack' or 'Drawer' as appropriate for the object in question.

The fixed size feature for Grid Stacks is unique to Grid Stacks, however. Those fields only appear in the Appearance tab of Grid Stack Properties panels.

When you open the Properties dialog of the parent Shelf and go to the Appearance tab, the fields are hidden but, due to an oversight, the fixed size values (which are meaningless for and not used in the Shelf in question) are internally changed from the default zero to something else.

When you open the temporary Grid Stack, it will inherit the parent Shelf settings, are referred above. Unfortunately along with it come the two corrupted values that define a fixed size for the temporary Grid Stack.

Because these fields are invisible in the Properties dialog of the parent Shelf and because temporary Grid Stacks do not have their own settings (see previous post) it then becomes impossible to change them back to default (which would allow the temporary Grid Stack to use a dynamic size).

All you need to do to trigger this bug is go to the Appearance tab of the Parent Shelf and then press OK to close the dialog. From then on, you're stuck with 1x1 temporary Grid Stacks on that Shelf.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The beta of v19.4 I just uploaded fixes this 1x1 Grid Stack issue. Apologies for the delay.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]