Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: How to change digital clock icon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

EDIT: In the original post, Telfire directly called me an 'asshole' but he has since then edited his post to something more palatable. Just wanted to make it very clear that my reaction below is to the original phrasing of his post:

LOL Did you wake up on the wrong foot, or something, to revive a 6 year old thread just to call me an 'asshole'? :P

I suggest you read all the other topics with feature requests and THEN come back and comment on my attitude.

One thing I am NOT, THAT is for sure: I am not a 'the customer is always right' and 'I will bend over backwards to every request and attitude' type of person. I WILL speak my mind - if you are not used to it and you think that makes me an 'asshole', that is not my problem.

I'm also human, and as such I too have my good and my bad days. Judging an entire application like Winstep Xtreme solely based on a measly digital clock image is, frankly, insulting to me. The original OP should have stopped at 'can someone please tell me how to fix this?'

And by the way, you now have two versions of the digital clock, one with the calendar and one without. You can apply the choosen style to the clock desktop module by selecting 'None' as the theme.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:18 am 

winstep wrote:
And by the way, you now have two versions of the digital clock, one with the calendar and one without. You can apply the choosen style to the clock desktop module by selecting 'None' as the theme.

Two versions Id settle for just one.
I have Extreme and have the clock showing on the desktop, I cant for the life of me get anything other than a analog clock out of the current version or any other version.

So Jorge in your bag of tricks how do I get a digital clock module, I remember asking a long while back. I have added *all* modules to the desktop and closed the ones I dont want on it. But no digital clock module.

Is this linked to the theme that I am running? You know me Jorge I have a desire for a nice clean glass like interface, and would like a digital clock to match.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Open Preferences, go to Themes tab, change 'Winstep Themes' in the top left combo box to 'Clock', scroll up until you find '<None>' as the theme, select it, press Ok.

Alternatively, right click on the clock desktop module, open the Theme sub-menu, select '(None)'.

This will show a desktop module in whatever style you have it set for the iconic version of the module.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Given the number of views in this thread (and thanks Telfire for alerting me of this in the original version of your post) I have edited the OP's post that started this thread to include a detailed solution at the very top (and otherwise left that post - as well as all the other posts - as they were. No censorship here).

Regarding the direction this thread took, here is my final say on the subject:

1. People in the US seem to be used to extremely polite and professional customer service, the sort where 'the customer is always right'. Besides cultural differences, I think this also has to do with the fact that employees in the US can be fired 'just because', while workers in the EU seem to have more protection.

2. While on one hand this can make for a more positive interaction when the customer service rep is facing a negative customer reaction, on the other hand it also has the potential to breed 'entitled customers with bad attitudes' (obviously the VAST MAJORITY of people/customers are not like that AT ALL, but those who are WILL try to take advantage of this).

3. When you contact Winstep, you are dealing directly with the developer (me) and I am by nature and culture more open and direct than you are probably used to if you are in the US. This has both advantages and disadvantages:

On one hand, you will be heard. If anyone can help you find a solution or fix a problem, it's the person you are talking to. He, better than anyone else in the world, knows the application inside out - he wrote it, after all.

On the other hand, and unlike a customer rep, the developer has something personal invested in that application. As anyone who is creative will tell you, our work is 'our baby'. Creative people take pride in what they do and, like it or not, there is also a lot of 'ego' involved.

This unfortunately sometimes results in developers that cannot take ANY form of criticism AT ALL about their creations, regardless of how constructive the intention is. I too have run into these sort of developers before (who shall remain unnamed, <cough>the developer of MSI Afterburner<cough>).

To me it's not about criticism (as, I believe, a cursory glance of the majority of topics in this forum will reveal) but ALL about attitude. I truly cannot stand arrogant unreasonable people.

I know perfectly well Winstep applications are not perfect (no consumer application is) but I do go out of my way to fix any bugs as soon as I become aware of them, and to add new feature requests (as long as I see their general usefulness, of course). On the other hand, I also know how complex and powerful Winstep applications are - they are the result of investing my blood, sweat and tears on them for the past 20 years, after all.

So, from this perspective, I find it insulting when an application such as Winstep Xtreme is completely dismissed or entirely judged based on a minor cosmetic issue or lack of a minor feature. I WILL point this out to the user, as I did to this thread's OP, but STILL I will not refuse to help them and/or explain why something is the way it is (which is EXACTLY what happened here).

Likewise, if you come to me with a 'this application is crap' attitude from the get go, you are not going to get a good reaction back either. If it sucks so bad, why are you using it in the first place?!

The exception to this is when I notice the user actually took the time to make a detailed list of things he did not like about the application - if HE invested that much of his time when writing to me, that means he actually cares, so I disregard the attitude and return the time in kind.

Some people are not used to being 'talked back to' and will react badly, like the OP in this thread did. Unfortunately for them, I can and will stand my ground while remaining rational about it, but I will NEVER resort to personal insults or anything close to that - which, over the years, I noticed it to be something many of them will actually do (which says more about them and their attitude/personality than about me) and at that point the conversation is over.

If they manage to stay reasonable eventually the conflict is resolved and it will be - at least on my part - like nothing bad ever happened: the virtual equivalent of shaking hands and buying each other a round of drinks.

Let me be clear about something though: in over 20 years, I can count the number of times something like this has happened with the fingers of two hands, probably less. The vast majority of users are hands down reasonable people with a good attitude, no contest about it.

In the end it can all be summed up to this: one of the perks of owning the company is that I don't have to take sh*t from others (pardon my French), but this ONLY becomes an issue with problematic people in the first place - who are very few and far between. What all the others will experience - if they choose to disregard the exceptions in this thread, of course - is me going out of my way to help them and solve any issues.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:56 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well spoken, Jorge. And I can positively confirm your statements as perfectly correct in re: being generally the most helpful and kind developer out there. There will always be the odd 'rat bags' out there, the attention seekers. The example here is, or rather, was, one of the more extreme ones. Your reaction/response was a perfectly reasonable one, and moreover, perfectly 'polite'... And yes, my impression too is that across the pond (though increasingly on this side as well, alas!) a lot of people tend not to like the truth and, to put it more bluntly, as customers are more used to people crawling up their backside.

Well hell, we can see this sort of thing any day on 'social media' - so-called supposed 'friends' lying through their teeth to one another, e.g., commenting on their photos saying how gorgeous they look etc. when really the b**** looks like a right dog! LOL! ;) Personally, I *hate* it when someone tells me e.g. how well and how young I still look when I know I look like crap because of my illnesses etc. and that it's long undeniable that I'm getting older! Makes me sick to my stomach. I want the truth, and I will always speak it myself. (Granted, sometimes it's better to be kind...)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2