Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Weird Crashes and Odd Behavior
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:57 pm 

For a while now I've had crashes with a program called Everything that I've used for many years. https://filehippo.com/download_everything/ It's a great program.

However, it seems to clash with Xtreme. It crashed again and the following (in the pic) happened. There seems to be something that both the programs are vying for. Sometimes Xtreme crashes too, but never at the same time Everything does.

Until now, I couldn't be sure if they were related. I still don't know what causes them to crash since even with this odd behavior (that has never happened before) only Everything crashed, but for the first time, all of the open instances of Everything recovered. Every other time the open instances would close and I would have to search again.

It just happens sporadically. I don't know what in the heck those things are in the pic. It looks like somehow my running apps popped up where the arrows are. Since I use the Windows taskbar, this is very odd. There's nothing I can do to reproduce the crashes.

Please install Everything. Maybe the issue will present itself to find out what the problem is.

Post subject: Re: Weird Crashes and Odd Behavior
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:20 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I use everything, too, but without any problems.

For reference, the developer's site for it is here: https://www.voidtools.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:56 am 

More strange behavior. Now I can't bump my right edge. When I move the cursor to bump, the cursor disappears like it's going off the screen.

I have my TV connected to my PC. To my knowledge, I didn't change any settings.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:11 pm 

Jorge, please tell me what to do about the cursor going off screen. Is the whole thing corrupted? Is there a setting on my PC or within the program that somehow got changed?

I've restarted the program and the PC but it still does it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:15 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

What resolution is your screen set to in Windows?

What resolution is your monitor?

Does Display settings show the right number of screens? (For example, if you have one monitor, does it show only one monitor in Display settings?)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:32 pm 

Okay, this is really crazy. I updated my Nvidia stuff and went into Nvidia settings and disabled the TV but it still didn't work. I left my PC on as I always do when I leave. I just came back home after about 3 and a half hours.

Now it works. :? :? :?

Almost forgot, I also updated Java before I left.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:10 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jorge, Windy doesn't answer questions very well, does he?

lol

:D :o

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:53 am 

The reason I replied that way is because for some reason or another, it seems to have resolved itself and the resolution monitor settings are all correct.

It appears that the updates may have reset and fixed whatever that weird crash did to it.

I just got back home from teaching (was gone for several hours again) and haven't had the chance to re-enable the TV in the Nvidia settings to see what happens.

If I re-enable it and it happens again, then that means that something with having both the TV and my monitor enabled got screwed up because of the crash.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:33 am 

I just re-enabled the TV and it happened again. So this means that something with relationship between the monitor/TV and Winstep has gone awry.

My monitor is set at (3840x2160@60Hz) and the TV is set at (3840x2160@30Hz) which are the correct default settings.

Is this a bug? I've seen many posts about issues with having multiple monitors but this is the first time that I've had an issue with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:15 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
Jorge, please tell me what to do about the cursor going off screen.

By cursor, I figure you mean mouse pointer. If so, I'm not sure Jorge's programs have anything to do with it. Such a problem would be a Windows resolution issue. If the mouse pointer is able to go off the screen, then either Windows thinks the resolution is wider than the screen can display or the screen is somehow chopping/cropping the view of Windows to eliminate that area from visibility.

Mayhap, if one issue is solved, the other visual oddity will be solved as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:16 am 

Just did some more digging. My TV which is monitor 2 (my monitors are set to duplicate) doesn't display any of my docks or Workshelf! What in the heck is going on?!!

When I move the cursor to the right side to bump, it goes through to the other monitor (the TV).

I just exited Winstep and it still goes through to the other monitor/TV. But, why don't the docks and WorkShelf display on the TV when it's enabled? :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:32 am 

Jorge, I just got an NextSTART Exception Handler error message when I attempted to make changes in the display settings.

Attachment:
NextSTART Exception Handler Error.jpg
NextSTART Exception Handler Error.jpg [ 92.47 KiB | Viewed 17616 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:17 am 

Windy wrote:
Just did some more digging. My TV which is monitor 2 (my monitors are set to duplicate) doesn't display any of my docks or Workshelf! What in the heck is going on?!!

When I move the cursor to the right side to bump, it goes through to the other monitor (the TV).

I just exited Winstep and it still goes through to the other monitor/TV. But, why don't the docks and WorkShelf display on the TV when it's enabled? :?

that means that your monitors arent duplicating anymore but are set to extend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:50 am 

Fell asleep shortly after my last post for a few hours. It's still early am. So, after I woke up, I came here to check and saw your response. I then changed the settings back and forth (to extend and back to duplicate) and now it's working.

It appears that after the NextSTART Exception Handler error message, it might have released whatever was hung that was causing the settings to be stuck in extend mode.

I hope this won't ever happen again. I'll keep a sharp eye out in case it does to see what happened beforehand.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DesertDwarf wrote:
Jorge, Windy doesn't answer questions very well, does he?

lol

:D :o

Nope.

lol :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next