Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Serious Security Issue at USB Charging Stations
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:35 pm 

I just saw on cable news a serious warning to anyone that uses a USB port to charge their phone at a charging station. Apparently there's a big problem at airports and they said not to use them. The preferred method (which I've always done) is to use the power cord.

To be clear, I never used the power cord because I thought there was a security risk, (never gave it a thought) but simply because it has more power and charges more quickly.

Can someone explain this? As far as I know, they aren't attaching a fake device to it like crooks do at gas stations to steal credit card info so how in the heck is this is possible?

I just see a USB charging station as a power source, not a conduit to steal information. They never said how they hack into someone's device while they're using the charging station.

Last edited by Windy on Fri May 31, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Baffled-Serious Security Issue at USB Charging Stations
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:04 pm 

Okay, I finally had some time to further check this out. Have been extremely busy the last week or so.

I was right in my suspicion that the ports would have to be tampered with. Here's a link to an article I found that explains 'juice jacking'.

One would think that an airport would be safe from such tampering because of all of the cameras and security that are in airports. If someone can do that, just think how easy it would be for a terrorist to do something much worse.

https://vtn.co/2019/05/24/airport-charg ... erts-warn/

Post subject: Re: Serious Security Issue at USB Charging Stations
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:04 am 

Haven't checked this for a while. The link I posted earlier is dead now. Here's another one that shouldn't have any issues.

https://fossbytes.com/juice-jacking-pub ... s-hacking/

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 3 posts ]