Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 147 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:25 pm 

winstep wrote:
Adding ability to select multiple elements at once in a Shelf. :)

So when do we get to play? Been quiet of late round here.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Been quiet around here too :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:38 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Quiet times are excellent times to crank away on completing larger projects.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Or to simply recharge your batteries eheh

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:10 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It's been altogether too quiet in here of late. Re-charging batteries is all well and nice, but what of larger projects? (No, alright, I'll shut up already. ;) )

That reminds me of a problem I've been having with Winstep ever since I set up Hyper-V. I can't get the Hyper-V Manager to start up off a menu, shelf or dock. 'MMC cannot open the file %windir%\System32\virtmgmt.msc' is what it spews out, even though the path is correct. Tried setting it to 'run as admin' - no difference. Weird.

Great though Hyper-V is otherwise (lightning fast, too - even Win 10 itself runs faster than before!), it really sucks when it comes to OSs that are not officially supported in that there's no way of sharing files directly. The literature suggests, e.g., that most Linux distros should be supported, but in practice, the only one that seems to be fully supported is Ubuntu - not exactly my fave. OS/2 is supposed to be supported, but so far, no luck. Running fine, just no file sharing. :/

:Edit: N.B. - Even Intel's Clear Linux isn't supported it would seem. :/Edit:

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
That reminds me of a problem I've been having with Winstep ever since I set up Hyper-V. I can't get the Hyper-V Manager to start up off a menu, shelf or dock. 'MMC cannot open the file %windir%\System32\virtmgmt.msc' is what it spews out, even though the path is correct. Tried setting it to 'run as admin' - no difference. Weird.

It's very rare, but I've seen it happen before. It has something to do with Window's automatic 32 bit to 64 bit re-direction - even when everything is set up correctly, the 64 bit application will simply refuse to run if launched from a 32 bit application.

Try setting a shortcut to Hyper-V and running the shortcut instead (i.e.; you will have to edit the dock entry to point to the .lnk file instead of the actual .exe, as shortcuts are automatically resolved when you drag & drop them into the dock).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:52 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
That reminds me of a problem I've been having with Winstep ever since I set up Hyper-V...

It's very rare, but I've seen it happen before. It has something to do with Window's automatic 32 bit to 64 bit re-direction - even when everything is set up correctly, the 64 bit application will simply refuse to run if launched from a 32 bit application.

Try setting a shortcut to Hyper-V and running the shortcut instead (i.e.; you will have to edit the dock entry to point to the .lnk file instead of the actual .exe, as shortcuts are automatically resolved when you drag & drop them into the dock).

Ah, yes, makes sense. Thanks Jorge, but alas, pointing at the .lnk file gives the same result. Guess I'll just have to live with that one. Makes me wonder what 'surprises' the new version of the Linux support with full Linux kernel will encounter, Windows being Windows.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:24 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It really is awfully quiet here these days! ;)

We've had 19.4 beta, but April's long gone and forgotten...

So, what *IS* next after v19.2??? :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rest plus peace and quiet lol :-P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:07 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Rest plus peace and quiet lol :-P

ROFL! Now *THAT* I could believe. ;) Except, not really in your nature, Jorge. I rather suspect you might be beavering away at something?

:Edit: NB - Just had Windows 10 do a complete freeze on me! Nothing responding, no three finger salute, no Alt+F4, nada. Must have been something to do with Hyper-V, although my Fedora was still running when I finally got it all back together. Queer business. :/Edit:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hmmm... The silence in here is truly deafening! ;-P Most suspect... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:18 am 

anyword on when the themebuilder will be done I've been waiting for like years for that lol seeing as this is the best dock launcher that exists for windows by far. Was jw if there was any word on that?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:41 am 

pneuma22 wrote:
anyword on when the {REDACTED} will be done I've been waiting for like years for that lol seeing as this is the best dock launcher that exists for windows by far. Was jw if there was any word on that?

Ack! Don't JINX it! Using that word is like the groundhog seeing its shadow! Only months instead of days! :mrgreen:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, a reminder that time passes and what seemed like a lot several years ago is now seen as 'normal'.

As you guys know the CPU monitor module can show a list of <x> applications using the most CPU, and their CPU usage as a percentage.

On my new Windows 10 system I had already noticed that this sometimes seemed to be off, i.e.; total CPU usage would show one thing but the application using the most CPU would show a much lower value than it should to get to that number. Or I would be running a game that I knew used a lot of the CPU and that game did not even appear in the top CPU hogs list, although *total* CPU usage reflected that the game was indeed using a lot of the CPU.

This would be temporary, after a while the top CPU hog list would return to normal, which made it harder to identify the source of the problem.

Today I managed to track the issue down to a decision made back in the Windows Vista days, perhaps even earlier: the routine that enumerated running processes assumed that the system would not be running more than 256 processes at a time (which was a HUGE number of processes back then).

Turns out Windows 10 these days spawns processes like mushrooms, and thus the 256 process limit was no longer enough, causing the list of running applications to be 'cropped'. Solved the issue by doubling the maximum number to 512.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:36 am 

Winstep wrote
Quote:
o, a reminder that time passes and what seemed like a lot several years ago is now seen as 'normal'.

As you guys know the CPU monitor module can show a list of <x> applications using the most CPU, and their CPU usage as a percentage.

On my new Windows 10 system I had already noticed that this sometimes seemed to be off, i.e.; total CPU usage would show one thing but the application using the most CPU would show a much lower value than it should to get to that number. Or I would be running a game that I knew used a lot of the CPU and that game did not even appear in the top CPU hogs list, although *total* CPU usage reflected that the game was indeed using a lot of the CPU.

This would be temporary, after a while the top CPU hog list would return to normal, which made it harder to identify the source of the problem.

Today I managed to track the issue down to a decision made back in the Windows Vista days, perhaps even earlier: the routine that enumerated running processes assumed that the system would not be running more than 256 processes at a time (which was a HUGE number of processes back then).

Turns out Windows 10 these days spawns processes like mushrooms, and thus the 256 process limit was no longer enough, causing the list of running applications to be 'cropped'. Solved the issue by doubling the maximum number to 512.

Good job Jorge! Welcome back!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 147 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next