Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Grid Stacks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:34 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

So, umm, I have not yet done ANYTHING with Grid Stacks. I'm trying to now, but I don't want to do something completely by hand if there's an easier way.

I have a Shelf. One tab of the Shelf is Games.

How do I make a Grid Stack from my Games tab?

Note: I learned enough to realize Grid Stacks live in a Dock, and that's fine, but I still couldn't figure out how to get the icons in my Shelf tab into a Grid Stack without doing it one-icon-at-a-time.

I can make a Dock out of a Shelf tab...but then what?

Help?

Post subject: Re: Grid Stacks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:36 am 

I have learned the art of grid stacks.

Best way...

Create a folder, put all your shortcuts to your games there. As well, any folders.

Drag the main folder into your dock.
Right click on the folder and click Convert to Grid Stack
Then click on it to open it
In the upper left corner (default) should be the button you click then it opens the settings for just that grid stack (each stack having their own you must access in this way only)
Carefully review the options panel and study different settings applying them and observing the changes on the spot.

I find that if you're using high dpi, setting the global option for grid stacks to not use high dpi works best.

The menus are fine with high dpi.

Below I'll share some screens of my setup and explain a bit about each. Hopefully this all helps!

This is a stack I made from a folder containing all the viable links I would normally access in the default start menu, but since I do not use that, I created this stack and placed it far left as if to emulate a start button.

This stack is fun. It's my documents but you can set it to open each folder inside itself as another stack as well (which inherits the parent dock settings by default). Additionally any shortcuts to other locations you have here will open as a grid stack directly at where the shortcut points!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DesertDwarf wrote:

Alas, you can make a Drawer and a Dock from a Shelf tab using that tab's right click context menu (Make Dock from this Tab and Make Drawer from this Tab), but there is currently no way to make a Grid Stack out of an existing Shelf tab.

This is because while docks and drawers exist on their own and thus turning a tab into one of those is straightforward, Grid Stacks can only exist inside another object - thus a similar option in the right click menu would require you to also specify a *target*, and this would make it an extremely clumsy operation, IMO.

This illustrates what is currently (IMO) one of the worst functionality limitations of Shelves: the fact that you can't select multiple items in a tab and drag them all at once. I've been working on that.

This makes using Nutryon's folder method (instead of a Grid Stack of type 'Regular') the best method at the moment, since it then allows you to manipulate the contents of that folder/Grid Stack using Explorer itself.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:31 pm 

winstep wrote:
DesertDwarf wrote:
This is because while docks and drawers exist on their own and thus turning a tab into one of those is straightforward, Grid Stacks can only exist inside another object - thus a similar option in the right click menu would require you to also specify a *target*, and this would make it an extremely clumsy operation, IMO.

May I stick my oar in, not necessary a "Target" just a new "GS", copying icon/and paths, surly not that hard. But then that's still a one on one operation until below, or 'select all'.

winstep wrote:
This illustrates what is currently (IMO) one of the worst functionality limitations of Shelves: the fact that you can't select multiple items in a tab and drag them all at once. I've been working on that.

Good. I must say, I have turned of 'shelves' as I dont use them AND It/they take up screen Real-estate .

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]