Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Drag and drop files on mail...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:24 am 

Hi,

New user on Nexus, ssooo good !

but... When I drag and drop a file from Nexus to a new mail, I don't join the file hitself but a lnk file...
I tried with some combinations of keys, idem...

Did I miss something ?

Thanks

Krys

Post subject: Re: Drag and drop files on mail...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's by design.

The dock is not a physical folder in your hard drive, it does not contain actual files but shortcuts/pointers to the actual files. This way, when you delete a file from the dock, you are not deleting the actual file, but rather the pointer that is stored in the dock to that file.

To remain consistent with this, when you drag & drop a document from the dock into somewhere else (like a folder in your hard drive) Nexus makes sure what you are dragging is a *shortcut* (.lnk file) to the file and not the actual file.

Up to the mail app to know when the file you just dropped into it is a shortcut and resolve the shortcut so it points to the actual file. This is, for instance, what Nexus does when you drop a shortcut into the dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:56 pm 

Thanks for your answer.

Any plan to allow the copy of the file itself instead of the lnk in a future update ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No. Again, this behavior is by design, the dock is not a folder in your hard drive and thus it can only hold pointers to files, not the actual files themselves.

Furthermore, what do you think would happen if a user removed a shortcut from the dock thinking (as he should) that he is just removing a pointer to an actual file and ended up deleting the file itself? If it happened to me, I would not be very happy, to say the least. :)

This said, if you upgrade to Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme, both products support Shelves (tabbed docks), Drawers and Grid Stacks. These, unlike docks, allow you to *optionally* reference the contents of actual folders in your hard drive, and thus behave much like normal Explorer folders.

Please note, however, that the actual problem is the Mail app not knowing that a shortcut should first be resolved before attaching to a message. After all, it doesn't even make sense to send someone else a shortcut to a file that resides in YOUR machine, does it?

Try sending an email to Microsoft explaining the issue (it's their app, right?) although I doubt you will have any luck with a resolution.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:27 pm 

Ok, I understand Outlook (for example) could search the original file.

But it's not the case, so I thought it were possible to an external software to point to the original file that is dropped (only for copy purposes, not deleting of course ;) ) instead of the lnk file... I'm not a developer, and don't know what is possible to do...

But I'll take a look on Nexus Ultimate.

Thanks...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's not that it isn't possible, it's that behavior must remain consistent, e.g.; applications dropping data have no idea where that data is being dropped to.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]