Winstep

Software Technologies


 Winstep Forums


Print view
Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:42 pm
Posts: 137
winstep wrote:
Adding ability to select multiple elements at once in a Shelf. :)

So when do we get to play? Been quiet of late round here.

_________________
oOSGearOo Aka Steve....
http://technobable.com
https://www.technobable.com/uncategoriz ... p-extreme/


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:39 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 10458
Been quiet around here too :)

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:51 pm
Posts: 79
Quiet times are excellent times to crank away on completing larger projects.


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:46 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 10458
Or to simply recharge your batteries eheh

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 820
Location: UK
It's been altogether too quiet in here of late. Re-charging batteries is all well and nice, but what of larger projects? (No, alright, I'll shut up already. ;) )

That reminds me of a problem I've been having with Winstep ever since I set up Hyper-V. I can't get the Hyper-V Manager to start up off a menu, shelf or dock. 'MMC cannot open the file %windir%\System32\virtmgmt.msc' is what it spews out, even though the path is correct. Tried setting it to 'run as admin' - no difference. Weird.

Great though Hyper-V is otherwise (lightning fast, too - even Win 10 itself runs faster than before!), it really sucks when it comes to OSs that are not officially supported in that there's no way of sharing files directly. The literature suggests, e.g., that most Linux distros should be supported, but in practice, the only one that seems to be fully supported is Ubuntu - not exactly my fave. OS/2 is supposed to be supported, but so far, no luck. Running fine, just no file sharing. :/

:Edit: N.B. - Even Intel's Clear Linux isn't supported it would seem. :/Edit:

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:33 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 10458
nexter wrote:
That reminds me of a problem I've been having with Winstep ever since I set up Hyper-V. I can't get the Hyper-V Manager to start up off a menu, shelf or dock. 'MMC cannot open the file %windir%\System32\virtmgmt.msc' is what it spews out, even though the path is correct. Tried setting it to 'run as admin' - no difference. Weird.


It's very rare, but I've seen it happen before. It has something to do with Window's automatic 32 bit to 64 bit re-direction - even when everything is set up correctly, the 64 bit application will simply refuse to run if launched from a 32 bit application.

Try setting a shortcut to Hyper-V and running the shortcut instead (i.e.; you will have to edit the dock entry to point to the .lnk file instead of the actual .exe, as shortcuts are automatically resolved when you drag & drop them into the dock).

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 820
Location: UK
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
That reminds me of a problem I've been having with Winstep ever since I set up Hyper-V...

It's very rare, but I've seen it happen before. It has something to do with Window's automatic 32 bit to 64 bit re-direction - even when everything is set up correctly, the 64 bit application will simply refuse to run if launched from a 32 bit application.

Try setting a shortcut to Hyper-V and running the shortcut instead (i.e.; you will have to edit the dock entry to point to the .lnk file instead of the actual .exe, as shortcuts are automatically resolved when you drag & drop them into the dock).

Ah, yes, makes sense. Thanks Jorge, but alas, pointing at the .lnk file gives the same result. Guess I'll just have to live with that one. Makes me wonder what 'surprises' the new version of the Linux support with full Linux kernel will encounter, Windows being Windows.

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 820
Location: UK
It really is awfully quiet here these days! ;)

We've had 19.4 beta, but April's long gone and forgotten...

So, what *IS* next after v19.2??? :)

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:31 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 10458
Rest plus peace and quiet lol :-P

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 820
Location: UK
winstep wrote:
Rest plus peace and quiet lol :-P

ROFL! Now *THAT* I could believe. ;) Except, not really in your nature, Jorge. I rather suspect you might be beavering away at something?

:Edit: NB - Just had Windows 10 do a complete freeze on me! Nothing responding, no three finger salute, no Alt+F4, nada. Must have been something to do with Hyper-V, although my Fedora was still running when I finally got it all back together. Queer business. :/Edit:

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 820
Location: UK
Hmmm... The silence in here is truly deafening! ;-P Most suspect... ;)

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:53 pm
Posts: 3
anyword on when the themebuilder will be done I've been waiting for like years for that lol seeing as this is the best dock launcher that exists for windows by far. Was jw if there was any word on that?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:11 am
Posts: 376
Location: Pollock Pines, CA
pneuma22 wrote:
anyword on when the {REDACTED} will be done I've been waiting for like years for that lol seeing as this is the best dock launcher that exists for windows by far. Was jw if there was any word on that?


Ack! Don't JINX it! Using that word is like the groundhog seeing its shadow! Only months instead of days! :mrgreen:

_________________
vectornut
http://www.vectornut.com


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:04 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 10458
So, a reminder that time passes and what seemed like a lot several years ago is now seen as 'normal'.

As you guys know the CPU monitor module can show a list of <x> applications using the most CPU, and their CPU usage as a percentage.

On my new Windows 10 system I had already noticed that this sometimes seemed to be off, i.e.; total CPU usage would show one thing but the application using the most CPU would show a much lower value than it should to get to that number. Or I would be running a game that I knew used a lot of the CPU and that game did not even appear in the top CPU hogs list, although *total* CPU usage reflected that the game was indeed using a lot of the CPU.

This would be temporary, after a while the top CPU hog list would return to normal, which made it harder to identify the source of the problem.

Today I managed to track the issue down to a decision made back in the Windows Vista days, perhaps even earlier: the routine that enumerated running processes assumed that the system would not be running more than 256 processes at a time (which was a HUGE number of processes back then).

Turns out Windows 10 these days spawns processes like mushrooms, and thus the 256 process limit was no longer enough, causing the list of running applications to be 'cropped'. Solved the issue by doubling the maximum number to 512.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm
Posts: 144
Winstep wrote
Quote:
o, a reminder that time passes and what seemed like a lot several years ago is now seen as 'normal'.

As you guys know the CPU monitor module can show a list of <x> applications using the most CPU, and their CPU usage as a percentage.

On my new Windows 10 system I had already noticed that this sometimes seemed to be off, i.e.; total CPU usage would show one thing but the application using the most CPU would show a much lower value than it should to get to that number. Or I would be running a game that I knew used a lot of the CPU and that game did not even appear in the top CPU hogs list, although *total* CPU usage reflected that the game was indeed using a lot of the CPU.

This would be temporary, after a while the top CPU hog list would return to normal, which made it harder to identify the source of the problem.

Today I managed to track the issue down to a decision made back in the Windows Vista days, perhaps even earlier: the routine that enumerated running processes assumed that the system would not be running more than 256 processes at a time (which was a HUGE number of processes back then).

Turns out Windows 10 these days spawns processes like mushrooms, and thus the 256 process limit was no longer enough, causing the list of running applications to be 'cropped'. Solved the issue by doubling the maximum number to 512.



Good job Jorge! Welcome back!


Back to top
 Profile  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: