Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Winstep Not Taking Changes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:06 pm 

Guys, Jorge, whoever.....Winstep is not taking my changes as I try to build a theme. It taskes several attempts to make a change, and sometimes the change never happens. I'm talking INI files, graphics change, but settings do not. It's impossible to make a theme this way.

Windows 10 ver. 1903
Winstep 19.4

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Profile YIM 

Post subject: Re: Winstep Not Taking Changes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try applying another theme then re-applying the theme you just made changes for.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:43 pm 

Did that Jorge, and even reinstalled Winstep. Also reset all settings. Changes I make via settings work, settings made via ini do nothing.

So, right now, I can't change the font and color of the weather stats, or font positions in ram meter.

Even the changes made to fonts and colors via settings stick, the ini for that module remains unchanged.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:55 pm 

Allow me to correct myself. Even changes to fonts and colors made via preferences seem to revert back after loading a different skin, and then loading the one I have been changing.

I assume this is due to the fact that the ini file wasn't changed.

Changes in ini files make NO difference in the skin.

This makes it very hard to create skins.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:28 pm 

Bumpitty bump.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apologies for the delay, had to check the code first.

To make changes to a theme you must edit the INI files, that is currently the only reliable way (this limitation has something to do with now being able to have multiple shelves, etc, each shelf able to have an independent theme...)

If you are going to change the INI files, it's also best to have the Winstep application displaying a theme other than the one you are editing. Once you've finished editing the INI files, just load the theme via the Themes tab in the main Preferences dialog.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:58 pm 

With all due respect, Jorge, your reply seems to infer that I don't know how to skin Winstep. Yet your gallery has quite a few of my skins.

This is not something I am doing wrong. I just adjusted the skin in the config dialog, just to see what would happen.

My point is that the changes I make in the INI does not alter the skin at all. Above you will see that I said I reset all settings to default and even did a full uninstall/reinstall of Winstep. No help.

I will install Winstep on a PC that hasn't had it before and try to skin. If it works, then it'll be an issue on the main PC.

I mean no disrespect, but your replies, so far, are not the level of support I have come to know from you. Been at Wincustomise too much lately? LOL (couldn't resist)

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PuterDudeJim wrote:
With all due respect, Jorge, your reply seems to infer that I don't know how to skin Winstep. Yet your gallery has quite a few of my skins.

Noooo, sorry if it came out that way. What I meant is that I made changes to the code to support multiple shelves, drawers, grid stacks, etc, and these changes kind of 'broke' that part where you could still use the UI to make changes to fonts and font colors, etc, and have those changes saved to the theme itself.

PuterDudeJim wrote:
My point is that the changes I make in the INI does not alter the skin at all. Above you will see that I said I reset all settings to default and even did a full uninstall/reinstall of Winstep. No help.

The Winstep application will 'cache' the current theme in memory until you change to a different theme. The fact that you can now have individual themes per Shelf PLUS a global theme (while before there was only one Shelf so that shelf's theme WAS the global theme) kind of threw a wrench on this.

This said, if you make changes to an INI file, load a new *global* theme in the Themes tab of WorkShelf Preferences *and* you haven't locked the theme for the individual shelves, and then reload the theme you just made changes to, it should work.

PuterDudeJim wrote:
I will install Winstep on a PC that hasn't had it before and try to skin. If it works, then it'll be an issue on the main PC.

I kind of doubt it that would be the problem.

PuterDudeJim wrote:
I mean no disrespect, but your replies, so far, are not the level of support I have come to know from you. Been at Wincustomise too much lately? LOL (couldn't resist)

LOL No. Sorry if you feel that way, I just currently am on a kind of well deserved hiatus. Getting my strength back for another round, if you will... :)

It's normal, it's a cyclic thing.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:07 pm 

Well, sorry I was so gruff above, Jorge. I have been undergoing some changes and medical issues and am a bit bitchy lately.

That said, I guess maybe I should pay more attention to changelogs?

I just know what I have always done is no longer working. THAT said, I have done exactly as you say above and it still isn't reflecting the changes I make in the ini file.
I may just start fresh and try again. That skinning engine is sorely needed, but then, I can't even get Nexus to skin correctly using your skinning engine.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:06 am 

Jorge, things seem back to normal after yet another uninstall/reinstall. this time with a registry cleaning.

Screenshot of upcoming skin attached.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:39 pm 

Can't add screenie. Error is:

The page was not displayed because the request entity is too large.

Pic size is 1920x1080 at 1.67 MB.

Tried a 623 kb pic as well. Same error.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maximum attachment file size is 1 MB.

Your 623 KB pic should have worked though, just tried it and also checked the board settings. Perhaps because you tried attaching the 623 KB pic in the same post?

Also, regarding the changes to the INIs not taking effect: it occurred to me that this could be a permissions issue (if an application tries to write to a folder it does not have permission to, instead of failing Windows will create a 'virtual' folder in the 'virtual store' - major problem with this is that the application then sees one thing and the user another lol).

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]