Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Clock module sais: unable to set the system time
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:05 am 

I have set the clock module to connect to a time server for syncronisation every 24h. Just a few minuts ago it happened - and the module reported: "unable to set the system time".

I'm not aware when this problem appeared first, because the time display is very reliable and I had no reason to be suspicious about it.

What can be the cause of this message?. In the console I have no problem setting the time to any value.

Post subject: Re: Clock module sais: unable to set the system time
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Winstep application relies on a Windows Service to perform any function that requires admin rights, such as, for instance, setting the system time.

My guess is that you disabled this service, stopped it from running, or something else happened that is preventing the application from communicating with the service.

Open the Windows Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and look for a service named 'Winstep Xtreme Service'. If it's not running start it and set the startup type to 'Automatic', then restart the Winstep application.

If you can't find it, then you might need to re-install the Winstep application *on top* of your current installation.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:43 am 

>> If you can't find it, then you might need to re-install the Winstep application *on top* of your current installation.

Thank You - that was necessary, because the service was not there. Don't know, how it could disappear...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't know either, but all is good when it ends well. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:58 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ha! And here was I, wondering what could be wrong, perhaps with Hyper-V. Same thing keeps happening here repeatedly lately (last 3 months or so) though intermittently. Have checked for winstep service, no problem there, always present and correct. But sometimes, it saves the time correction some minutes later anyway! Not really a major problem AFAIC, though there are one or two apps I have that insist on correct system time but so farthey have not been affected.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]