Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Configure Docks & Shelves with 3 monitors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:07 am 

Hi! I've just installed the newest version of Winstep ultimate (had it back in 2017 but ran into some issues I've long since resolved) and when I go to Preferences to configure my Docks and Shelves, I only see Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 - Monitor 3 doesn't show at all. Is this a limitation of the system (it's a fresh install)?

Post subject: Re: Configure Docks & Shelves with 3 monitors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:32 am 

Jorge uses 3 monitors, so I know Winstep supports 3 monitors. I personally only have 2 monitors, so I can't walk you through what to look for, unfortunately.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You have to make sure all 3 monitors have the same DPI setting (e.g.; *all monitors* at 100% DPI/text size) otherwise Windows 10 will (literally!) lie to the Winstep application about available screen resolutions.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:41 pm 

Jorge, is that the reason I'm having a problem with this?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11074

So far no one has come up with a solution.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:55 am 

Hi! I have 2 different kinds of ACER monitors - my primary monitor is a 27 inch 4k display which I have set to 150% (2840x2160) and the other 2 are 24 inch 2k displays (1920x1080). All are Acer monitors, the two 24 inch are the same model.

I changed the 4k monitor (my primary display) back to 150%, but I still can't see the second 2k monitor - it just shows my primary 4k and one of the 2k displays...

As it stands, this is not a big deal at the moment because I'm find with all of WinStep being on my Primary display but it would be nice if I had the option of using all 3 of my monitors.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

To see what the Winstep application 'sees' in terms of monitors (based on what Windows is telling it) download and run this Test Monitors applet from the Winstep web site, then copy & paste the results here.

As I stated above, ALL monitors must have the same DPI settings or you will run into strange issues (either *all* at 100% DPI, or *all* at 125% DPI, etc...). If you change the DPI settings, you might have to reboot your computer (and at the very least restart the Winstep application) for the new settings to take effect on the Winstep application.

This said, 27" is just too small to run 4K at 100% DPI, which negates the screen real estate advantage of 4K on the Windows desktop.

For instance, I have three monitors: two 2560x1600 and one 3840x2160 (4K) display. The two 2560x1600 are both 30", but the 4K monitor is 43". This allows me to run all monitors at 100% DPI and not go blind trying to read the text on them. :wink:

I had to wait for 43" 4K monitors to make an appearance before taking the plunge into 4K as my goal was not to have a 'sharper' image but rather more screen real estate to work on.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:43 am 

This is what the program shows.

Generic PnP Monitor (Primary Monitor): (0,0) - (2194,1234)

So is the problem I'm having because my TV is not a monitor and it doesn't have MS DPI settings? Oh BTW, my DPI setting is at 175%. Would it matter if I changed it to 100%?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is that with the TV connected?! It only shows one monitor?

Is the TV set to 'Extend desktop to this display' in the Windows Display Settings panel?

As I said, both the TV and the monitor must have the same DPI settings.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:29 pm 

First I have to say that the initial setting was on 'Duplicate these displays', that’s apparently why only one display showed. I changed it to ‘Extend these displays’ and changed the DPI setting to 100% and both showed a reading. Oh, I also changed the setting to ‘Make this my main display’. I can’t remember if I did it before or after using the program.

Generic PnP Monitor (Primary Monitor): (0,0) - (2194,1234)
Generic PnP Monitor: (2194,0) - (2194,1234)

Okay, so now that that’s out of the way, here is the weird part.

1. I thought I made the TV my main display because the settings showed on my TV. But, when I made a screenshot using a third-party app with an area feature, the drawing square was on both the TV and the monitor, but took the shot of only the TV. This later struck me as odd which I’m about to explain.

2. All of my docks and WorkShelf are on my monitor (which is to the right of my TV.) and almost all of my bumps work. The two that don’t work are my bottom right corner bump, (my other three corner bumps work) and now my left bump since the cursor goes through to the TV.

3. Am I supposed to move that dock to the TV so it can work? And if so, how?

4. Now for the even weirder part. Anything already opened shows up on the TV. Anything I click on whether it’s from the TV or the monitor shows on the TV. However, there are some exceptions!

Once I click on a video, picture, or document, it will show on the monitor no matter which display I originated the click from.

For example, The folder for the Test Monitors program is open on the TV. I clicked on the application to launch it. It opens on the TV. But when I click Run, it opens on the monitor!

Another odd thing that happened is when I tried a Microsoft PowerPoint Show Document which uses LibreOffice Impress to open it since I don’t have MS Word. It opened on both the TV and the monitor, however, the TV showed a blank white page while the monitor correctly displayed it.

5. For some reason, I decided to see what would happen if I changed the DPI back to 175%. Amazingly, all of my bump settings worked!! Fortunately, I didn’t move any of the modules that were out of position while it was at 100% and they all kept their original positions when I changed it back to 175%. This is the first time that I didn’t have to readjust any of them after changing the DPI settings. Jorge, did you recently change something to prevent that from happening, or did I just get lucky?

6. So, after all of that, it dawned on me to move the stuff over to the TV. :oops: :oops: :oops: The good thing about that is that it made me more familiar with ‘Extend these displays’ mode.

So in closing, I have a few questions.

1a. How do I make the TV the primary display so that the outcome here will be on the TV instead of the monitor? Do I do that in the settings where it says monitor 1 and 2?

2a. This is reiterating the question I asked in 3. Am I supposed to move that dock to the TV so it can work? And if so, how? But if I make the TV my primary, I hope I don’t have the right side bump issue as before.

3a. Jorge, it is possible to make a setting/feature that will allow a side bump on the side where the cursor passes through to the other display by a key-press?

Something similar as the awesome feature you have when you want to move a PNG image into a drive on the dock instead of it changing the dock drive icon...by holding the Shift key down while dragging the PNG image into the dock drive icon which will move the image into the drive.

It will work in the opposite manner. Instead of allowing something to pass through, it will stop the cursor from passing through to the other display which will allow side screen bumps.

P.S. I was going to post the screenshot I took, but decided that it might not be necessary in light of the 175% DPI settings working and finding out I can move certain things to the other display.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]