Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus Ultimate does little blackouts when rendering from DAZ
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:13 am 

Hi,

I use a program called DAZ Studio. It's a 3D rendering suite that I use to develop content with. I have a new computer. It's sort of been a nightmare but I'm finally mostly GOLD with how things are running. The one issue I'm noticing is that when I'm doing a render with DAZ Studio the transparency for Nexus falters as each new bit of the render is being processed so I get what I call black outs. The base of the Nexus background goes black and then goes back to normal ... this happens multiple times during a render. Doesn't seem to hurt anything or cause software errors for Nexus but it's a little disconcerting.

Wondering if there is a fix for this?

I'm running Windows 10 Pro and it's up to date fully.

Please let me know.

Thank you
Richard

Post subject: Re: Nexus Ultimate does little blackouts when rendering from
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, here is what is probably happening: Nexus is trying to get some information from the DAZ Studio process itself (probably because you have it set to display running applications?) but because the DAZ Studio process is busy, it ends up temporarily hanging Nexus.

Nexus is pretty much protected from a 3rd party process hanging it (it uses timeouts when asking 3rd party applications for info) but if you run into a situation where the 3rd party process stops responding for a long time but is not actually hung, you might run into that sort of thing.

Still, it shouldn't be THAT bad. So:

1. Do you have Nexus Ultimate set to show currently running applications in a dock or Shelf?

2. If so, do the freezes stop if you add DAZ Studio to the Thumbnail Exclusion list?

Preferences -> Tasks tab -> Advanced button -> Thumbnail Exclusion List -> Add button -> select DAZ Studio from the left (assuming it's running) -> Enable 'Retrieve thumbnail once but do not refresh it'.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:26 am 

Thank you. I'm just home from work and eating dinner but I did add DAZ Studio to the list and didn't refresh. So upon my next time using the program I'm hoping that will not cause these "black outs".... if not I'll go over your suggestions once more, while the program is running and hope that it clears up the issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let me know one way or the other, please, so I know where to look at for the problem. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:52 pm 

Just finished a 3Delight render in DAZ Studio.. no black outs but I could have sworn yesterday morning I was getting some here and there.... I'll let you know if that happens again! Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:52 pm 

So started getting the black outs again. I guess after a Windows 10 major update it set some of the Nexus settings back to default? Makes no sense as the DAZ Studio exe is still an entry that I put in there but the little check box for the Enable 'Retrieve thumbnail once but do not refresh it' was unchecked! Weird.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:47 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RAMWolff wrote:
So started getting the black outs again. I guess after a Windows 10 major update it set some of the Nexus settings back to default? Makes no sense as the DAZ Studio exe is still an entry that I put in there but the little check box for the Enable 'Retrieve thumbnail once but do not refresh it' was unchecked! Weird.

Win 10 1903 Update seems to do an awful lot of things - inc. giving me 'Bullsh*t on Demand' afka the 'Blue Screen of Death' (only now it's pale blue and comes with some 'friendly' crap message) thrice in the last week or so - but changing your Winstep or Nexus settings at least in theory should be safe from Windows interference, so I rather suspect the cause of your problem may lie elsewhere. E.g., human error/accident perhaps?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:01 pm 

Couldn't be me. I followed the instructions posted above and never changed anything after that!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are the blackouts happening only when DAZ is rendering something?

There was a Windows update that caused issues for classic VB applications (as in crashes although I have seen no such thing here) and there is already an optional fix out (KB4512941), except the fix apparently also causes Cortana to use up all of your CPU processing power.

Microsoft hasn't been exactly known for their exceptional QA lately. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]