Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Articles  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: How much I hate Outlook and IMAP!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love Outlook spam filter options over Outlook Express lack of, but... I *HATE* Outlook for being so slow with IMAP accounts.

You see, Winstep mail uses an IMAP account... previously I used Outlook Express, but I really hated the lack of a spam filter: you probably have no idea what it is to have to go through thousands of email messages looking for a handful of legit e-mail. That is the main reason why I started using Outlook instead of Outlook Express.

The problem with Outlook, the thing that REALLY gets on my nerves, is how SLOW - and I mean S-L-O-W - it is when dealing with IMAP accounts.

The thing tries to multi-task - I know it does - but one wrong click and you are stuck in Never-Never land. Right now, Outlook is stuck at 95% Send/Receive status. This is because lately I've been getting a lot of messages with a virus payload sent to support@winstep.net (probably from a Winstep customer who got infected with one of the newer viruses, which keeps spilling infected e-mail every minute or so). Outlook, Windows Update and Norton AV will stop the virus from ever being run, but I still have to download every single message. It would be nice if I could block the thing from even being downloaded, but the fact is that I can't. Outlook won't let me. Not even when I tell Outlook to block the sender - it will STILL download the message body. Worst, since it deletes the attachment, it 'forgets' to mark the message as Spam. I have to delete it myself.

Not only that, but, when I try to read a legit e-mail message while dumb Outlook is trying to download tens of infected messages (for what?), the thing just freezes on me UNTIL all those infected messages have been downloaded! And once I click on a legit message, Outlook queues the action and won't even let me abort the send and receive operation.

So, here I am, still stuck at 95%. The only thing I can do is wait - and wait, and wait and wait - or KILL Outlook. If I do the later, I risk corrupting the whole message database, plus I will have to wait - and wait and wait and wait - for Outlook to check the database integrity once I run it again.

It's obvious nobody at MS uses IMAP accounts - at least not like this. If they did, there is NO WAY anything like this would EVER be allowed to happen!!! Zzzzzzzzzzz

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:03 am 

Jorge, Outlook 2007 is significantly faster than older versions. Give it a try.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:39 pm 

Not sure if this would help or not, Jorge, but have you tried Thunderbird by the Mozilla folk?

I've got filters in there and haven't been getting any spam and no false positives on the junk.

Post subject: Re: How much I hate Outlook and IMAP!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:24 am 

I am using Thunderbird but is there anything special you have to do to get it to work from inside of Winstep? I can easily access my gmail account using a web browser but the Thunderbird icon doesn't show up in tasks and unable to download messages.

Post subject: Re: How much I hate Outlook and IMAP!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Isn't Thunderbird a normal 32 bit application? You shouldn't have a problem with it - just make sure you didn't exclude it from appearing in the Task List (WorkShelf Preferences -> Tasks -> Task Exclusion List).

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Articles  [ 5 posts ]