Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Articles  [ 111 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: New system is here: Intel Optane 905p inside!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, basically given up on having CM's MasterPlus software controlling the small ARGB controller and settled on a white/blue/orange RGB theme for the case, which is actually pretty nice while remaining sober. None of those flashing RGB colors for me.

I also got a custom made RGB SSD cover with the Asus ROG symbol for my (ugly) Crucial MX-500 SATA SSD and I think it looks pretty cool too.

In addition got a Cooler Master RGB bar which difuses the white light throughout the case and allows the white accents in the Noctua Chromax covers to remain visible even when the lights in the office are off. All in all, and despite the lack of success with the MasterPlus software, I'm pretty happy with the results:

Attachment:
20190425_161258.jpg
20190425_161258.jpg [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 45137 times ]

Attachment:
20190425_161358.jpg
20190425_161358.jpg [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 45137 times ]

Attachment:
20190425_162948.jpg
20190425_162948.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 45137 times ]

Attachment:
20190425_170951.jpg
20190425_170951.jpg [ 3.38 MiB | Viewed 45137 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, a small update to this:

Ended up replacing the Cooler Master MF140R ARGB fans with Corsair LL140 RGB fans. This because after a lot of experimenting there is no doubt in my mind that Corsair's iCue software is currently the best, more flexible and most complete RGB controlling software out there. The LL140 fans are also one of the most beautiful RGB fans available, with their independent outer and inner rings - but you do pay a premium for them as they are expensive.

It's appalling how bad Asus Aura Sync is given how long it has been in development, it doesn't even let you apply different effects to different components and anything other than static color effects basically hogs one of your CPU cores just so you can have pretty lights. Asus is another company that makes great hardware but terrible software. Cooler Master MasterPlus software is also not ready for prime time.

In the end this RGB stuff should all be standard so you could use the software you like the best regardless of component brand, but it isn't - each manufacturer pushes their end of the stick and if their software sucks.... you're stuck with it.

In the mean time the LED strips in the C700M, which were all a cool bright white in the beginning (when set to white, of course) are now turning to a dull yellowish white. All except one of the strips at the front, which makes it worse - from what I read this could be due to poor heat dissipation inside the strips.

Attachments:
20190924_215849.jpg
20190924_215849.jpg [ 83.14 KiB | Viewed 43107 times ]
20190924_215748.jpg
20190924_215748.jpg [ 89.15 KiB | Viewed 43107 times ]
20190924_215732.jpg
20190924_215732.jpg [ 76.07 KiB | Viewed 43107 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

About a month or so after sending the Razer Mamba TE back on warranty due to the usual micro-switch problems and getting a ROG Gladius II Origin instead (still very happy with it), I was told by the shop I brought the Razer at that it could not be repaired and I would be given a credit note instead.

Some time goes by and given the good results with Corsair's iCue software I decided to use the credit to get a Corsair K70 MK2 Low Profile keyboard with Cherry Speed switches (there was nothing else I might want in that shop and the credit note had an expiration date, so use it or lose it).

The Corsair keyboard thus took the place of my Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2, which is actually a really nice mechanical keyboard (and has a superb wrist pad):

This said, the overall superior quality and brushed metal look of the Corsair keyboard (plus iCue being a hell of a lot better than Razer Synapse, e.g.; I can even combine multiple RGB effects together) sold me on the K70.

But here is the problem: try as I might (and I did for a long time) I could not get used to the Cherry Speed switches that came with the K70.

Probably because I have long fingers, that combined with the hyper sensitive switches meant a TON of accidental key presses, sometimes resulting in some sequence of control codes being sent that would create havoc with my browser as I was typing something and, more often than not, resulted in me losing whatever I had typed thus far. It didn't happen all the time, of course, but it happened often enough to become extremely frustrating.

So I bit the bullet and just got a Corsair K95 Platinum keyboard with Cherry Brown switches. Overall very similar to the K70, the K95 has a row of macro keys on the left side, taller keys (i.e.; it's not low profile), an extra cool looking RGB strip on the top of the keyboard, three hardware RGB profiles, and it also has a dual mode magnetic wrist pad (so you can choose between a smooth or a textured surface).

I only just got the keyboard so I am still getting used to it, but already run into two problems: because of the extra row of macro keys at the left that the MK70 did not have, my hands are now in the wrong position: I keep hitting CAPS LOCK when I want to hit the A key and so on... I don't think this is a biggie as it should simply be a question of getting used to shifting the 'home position' of my hands one key row to the right.

The other issue might be, I think, a bit more problematic: take a look at the position of the ESC key in the K95 and compare it with the position of the same key on the Razer keyboard. Notice the difference? On the Razer the ESC key is the leftmost top key (as it should) and the macro keys are below it. On the K95, however, the G1 key (first macro key) is on the same horizontal row as the ESC key, in other words, where you would expect the ESC key to be. This means I keep hitting G1 when I want to press ESC.

Personally I think this is a MAJOR ergonomic blunder on Corsair's part, and is also a common complain I see on Amazon user reviews of the K95. Let's see if this is something I can get used to - other than that, the 'accidental wrong key presses' that used to happen on the K70 have stopped completely. Yay! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:05 am 

winstep wrote:
. . . On the K95, however, the G1 key (first macro key) is on the same horizontal row as the ESC key, in other words, where you would expect the ESC key to be. This means I keep hitting G1 when I want to press ESC. . .

So, um, can you make the G1 macro be ESC? Problem solved. ;-)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vectornut wrote:
So, um, can you make the G1 macro be ESC? Problem solved. ;-)

Ahah, I thought about that, but that's like putting a band-aid on top of a sucking chest wound. :lol:

I prefer waiting to see if I can get used to it. The worst part were the accidental key activations on the K70 keyboard, something that does not happen anymore on the K95.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:36 pm 

I started checking around after seeing the keyboard. I also starting looking at gaming computers because a friend's PC stopped working.

I could not find a gaming PC (I think I saw one or two, but they had much lower video cards-in the 10 series-Nvidia) with Blu-ray much less one with a regular CD/DVD drive! Is this a non-sequitur in the gaming world?

Oh BTW, I'm not familiar with AMD, only Nvidia. Therefore I have no barometer of comparison to Nvidia, or pros and cons of AMD.

It got even tougher when trying to find a gaming PC that also has at least one display port input.

Would it be best to just add a Blu-ray player (if so, internal or external) and add a display port if a suitable PC can't be found with one?

Why do all the gaming PC's seem to come with a mouse and keyboard? Don't most people prefer the option of the PC without them so the price of the PC is cheaper?

Here are a couple that I was considering. Of course, neither has Blu-ray. Which one is better? I'm not familiar with this brand. I was leaning more to this one because of the hard drive space and video card. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower- ... Id=6362983

This one has 2 display ports, but doesn't have the hard drive space like the one above, and the video card is lower. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower- ... Id=6328954

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:48 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It depends on the kinds of games you like to play. Top-down turn-based strategy generally takes a lot less power than something like Ashes of the Singularity, a Stardock game. Brad Wardell, the Stardock guy, created a new company named Oxide. That company created Nitrous, a 3D game engine that has a feature that, to my knowledge, no other engine has: the ability to use all cores on a CPU simultaneously.

The Nitrous engine is extremely scalable, though. So if you run it on a wimpier computer, it will do OK. But, if you have a fast CPU with 8 cores, Ashes of the Singularity will run with literally thousands and even 10 of thousands of units every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

That being said, it's not practical to get a CPU with a high number of cores and sacrifice overall GHz because there is only one game engine out there that can handle more than one core.

So, if gaming is a focus, you need to tailor your choice to the style of games you play.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:57 am 

Windy wrote:

Personallly, I buy just about anything computer related from Newegg. I've been extremely happy with their customer service, and their prices are good. Check out their gaming desktop section: https://www.newegg.com/Gaming-Desktops/ ... g-Desktops

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:33 pm 

Well, after a lot of web research and several phone calls, the decision was made. My friend (who is one of my students and met because of table tennis-I volunteer at a local community center teaching table tennis) made a deal with me. We are going to swap systems.

My friend loves my 4k system with all the bells and whistles it has. Since it's mine, I know it like the back of my hand and if any issues arise, I know how to deal with it. On top of that, I'm going to leave all of the programs, browser add-ons and settings (with a few exceptions) intact. A huge plus for my friend since it would take at least a week to duplicate it if the drive were wiped.

The one that was purchased via a Black Friday deal is a iBuyPower Gaming RDY ELIBG214 directly from them. The one drawback is it doesn't have an optical drive. I'll have to save up and might purchase an external Blu-ray later down the road. I still have an old non Blu-ray external optical drive which will eject and close via the CD control icon on the dock. I'll have to use that for quite some time. I might have to add some USB ports later down the road too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
The one that was purchased via a Black Friday deal is a iBuyPower Gaming RDY ELIBG214 directly from them.

Looks nice. :)

Personally I never buy pre-made systems, I like to pick & choose and carefully select the parts I want (and then I pay the shop to put them together for me, but only because I am a lazy bastard eheh).

Windy wrote:
The one drawback is it doesn't have an optical drive.

Nobody uses optical drives anymore: like the 3 1/2 floppy drives before them (and the 5 1/4 before those) they are now going the way of the dodo. Software is now being shipped more and more in a USB flash pen.

My new system also has no room for an optical drive. At first I too considered getting an external one but the fact is that I haven't needed to use an optical drive ONCE for over an year (and, if I do, my previous system is still here and has one).

And in other news... I got greedy and took advantage of Black Friday to order 64GB of 3600Mhz G.Skill Trident Z Neo RGB sticks (4x16GB RAM sticks). These 64GB cost me as much now as the 32GB of 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro Blue LED sticks I got when I brought the new system.

At the time I wanted TridentZ RGB sticks, but back then they were temporarily out of stock so I ended up getting the Corsair sticks instead.

The Corsair RAM is not bad (despite featuring Hynix chips instead of Samsung B-die I managed to overclock it to 3600Mhz CL17-19-19-39) but the sticks I got were not RGB but rather featured *fixed* blue LEDs, which kind of limited the color combinations I could choose for the whole rig (in retrospect I should have chosen neutral white leds, but I don't remember if those were available back then either).

The new GSkill TridentZ Neo sticks (which should get here in a couple of days or so) also feature Hynix chips, but they are the new C-die Hynix memory, which seem to be almost as good as Samsung's B-die memory.

Default timings for the 3600Mhz Neo sticks are CL16-19-19-39, so it is already a little bit faster than the Corsair sticks I currently have at 3600Mhz CL17. And, of course, it features ANOTHER 32GB of RAM for a total of 64GB of RAM - sounds like overkill but considering this is Windows 10 and I keep over 30 Firefox tabs permanently open, the current 32GB of RAM I have in this system is actually not that much.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:00 pm 

vectornut wrote:
Windy wrote:

Personallly, I buy just about anything computer related from Newegg. I've been extremely happy with their customer service, and their prices are good. Check out their gaming desktop section: https://www.newegg.com/Gaming-Desktops/ ... g-Desktops

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I checked Newegg but didn't find anything I wanted. I've ordered a couple items from them ages ago. Not that I order a lot of things they sell, but just by luck of the draw, they rarely have what I've searched for.

winstep wrote:

Looks nice. :)

Personally I never buy pre-made systems, I like to pick & choose and carefully select the parts I want (and then I pay the shop to put them together for me, but only because I am a lazy bastard eheh).

Thanks! My soon to be “no longer mine” system was custom built. As far as I know, there aren’t any pre-built systems with the same things. The only reason I decided on a pre-built one was because I was actually looking for one for my friend who is barely computer literate. As I started searching around, somehow it morphed into the whole trade thing. Price was the main factor.

Windy wrote:
The one drawback is it doesn't have an optical drive.

winstep wrote:
Nobody uses optical drives anymore: like the 3 1/2 floppy drives before them (and the 5 1/4 before those) they are now going the way of the dodo. Software is now being shipped more and more in a USB flash pen.

My new system also has no room for an optical drive. At first I too considered getting an external one but the fact is that I haven't needed to use an optical drive ONCE for over an year (and, if I do, my previous system is still here and has one).

I'm still considering getting a standalone Blu-ray player sometime in the future (when I have enough pennies saved up) instead of an external one for the PC. I have to research it to see if the standalone looks better than one through the PC. I have a ton of DVDs and CD’s dating back to when they first came out (granted I do also have a lot of video and audio files from some of those same movies and songs) but it would take years and a ton of external drive space to have all of them. Plus, it gets expensive (my budget is extremely tight) and time consuming to save them due to having to purchase external drives. I learned the hard way to have redundancy.

I have lost several drives due to all of the damn power surges here. I finally had to purchase battery backups which seems to help. I have them hooked up to my PC, TV and modem and just about everything connected to them. Over the years, we lost 3 microwaves, two refrigerators and a TV (which fortunately was still under warranty and was repaired) due to power surges.

On top of that, the portable heater in my mom’s room (she’s ALWAYS cold even though it never reaches freezing temps) almost caught on fire. The cord and outlet was burnt up. She started screaming when she saw it smoking and I ran in there and snatched it out of the wall. I had to replace the outlet and bought a better heater for her. I now have surge protectors hooked up to all appliances except the few that I leave unplugged unless being used, e.g. toaster and can opener.

winstep wrote:
And in other news... I got greedy and took advantage of Black Friday to order 64GB of 3600Mhz G.Skill Trident Z Neo RGB sticks (4x16GB RAM sticks).

Nice!! Would that ram be compatible with the new system? And if so, would it make a difference compared to some other “normal” ram?

winstep wrote:
The Corsair RAM is not bad (despite featuring Hynix chips instead of Samsung B-die I managed to overclock it to 3600Mhz CL17-19-19-39) but the sticks I got were not RGB but rather featured *fixed* blue LEDs, which kind of limited the color combinations I could choose for the whole rig (in retrospect I should have chosen neutral white leds, but I don't remember if those were available back then either).

Why would having neutral white LED's been better than what you have?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:39 am 

winstep wrote:

I'm in the same boat, except that I enjoy assembling them, so I do that myself. I've never bought an actual already-assembled system for myself, but I have for my wife because all she does is web surf and Powerpoint.

winstep wrote:
And in other news... I got greedy and took advantage of Black Friday to order 64GB of 3600Mhz G.Skill Trident Z Neo RGB sticks (4x16GB RAM sticks). These 64GB cost me as much now as the 32GB of 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro Blue LED sticks I got when I brought the new system.

So, uh, what're you doing with the old RAM? My system only has 16 GB right now. Nah, just kidding, getting it to me would be prohibitive from Portugal. ;-)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vectornut wrote:
So, uh, what're you doing with the old RAM? My system only has 16 GB right now. Nah, just kidding, getting it to me would be prohibitive from Portugal. ;-)

Ahah, haven't decided yet. Probably selling it on the local version of eBay. :)

In the mean time I managed to overclock the Neo GSkill Hynix RAM from 3600Mhz CL-16-19-19-39 to 3800Mhz CL-16-20-20-40.

First I tried simply upping the frequency while keeping the same timings for 3600Mhz and it actually booted fine into Windows but crashed when running a memory stability test, so to be on the safe side I upped both the timings *and* the voltage (from 1.35v to 1.40v).

No more stability issues at 3800Mhz after testing for a long time.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, to give an update on the system (looks like I am always tweaking things here lately eheh):

To start with I ordered some customized black and white cables from Cablemod. Took them a while to get here and they were pretty expensive, but I think the result was worth it:

Attachment:
20200202_210331.jpg
20200202_210331.jpg [ 1.98 MiB | Viewed 36115 times ]

Attachment:
20200202_210256.jpg
20200202_210256.jpg [ 3.68 MiB | Viewed 36115 times ]

I also decided to replace my extremely ancient Logitech speakers with a Creative Sound BlasterX Katana. I spend most of my time wearing Sennheiser wireless headphones, but for the odd occasion where I need the sound to actually be heard by everybody, the Logitech system was no longer cutting it - it was so old that it was plagued with issues: moving the volume knob would cause all sorts of parasitic noise, sometimes one of the channels would not work, etc...

The Katana is actually a soundbar (with a sub-woofer) for the PC - which meant I could put it under my main monitor - and, best of all, it has RGB (whooohoo, they say this alone increases the quality of the sound by 10% :wink: :P ). So here is what it looks like:

Attachment:
20191207_004910.jpg
20191207_004910.jpg [ 3.37 MiB | Viewed 36115 times ]

Well, it's a soundbar, what did you expect? lol

Now, while I am extremely happy with the sound quality, the Katana actually turned out to be a true nightmare to install on Windows 10. It's supposed to be detected as a 7.1 Surround sound device but the only available option was Stereo.

This turned out to be a driver problem - installing the Creative drivers would fail with an error ("Windows encountered a problem installing the drivers for your device") which made Windows use a generic USB sound driver instead. Because of this Sound Blaster Connect 2, the software you should use to control the Katana, would fail with a 'No Audio Device Detected' error.

Searching the Internet revealed this to be a common problem with Creative drivers and even other Creative speakers. Apparently nobody had found a fix yet, so I decided to investigate myself.

I ended up finding a solution and posted it on the Steam forums. Since I noticed it ended up helping some people there, I'm going to post a copy here in case someone with the same problem runs into this:

"Ok, just managed to install the Creative driver which is now configured as a 7.1 Surround device.

For anyone suffering from this problem who manages to find this post:

The problem seems to be entirely on Creative's side for failing to update their drivers for proper operation on the latest versions of Windows 10 (and on Microsoft for keep changing stuff). The driver install tries to copy INI configuration files to C:\ProgramData and that causes a permissions error. Creative should use another folder as a 'scratch pad'.

So, even though it is indeed a ownership problem, you cannot (temporarily) take ownership of the ProgramData folder to solve the issue because it is locked by several applications. Can't change the ProgramData folder used in the info files inside the DriverStore cache either, even after taking ownership, as this changes the hash value of the INF file (actually nice security feature).

So, in the end here is what you need to do and what solved my problem:

First open

C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log

Go to the end of the file and locate the error point in the install script. It will say something like this:

flq: Copying 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ksusbaud.inf_amd64_dddc3ba93d08f0d8\cfSB1580.ini' to 'C:\ProgramData\cfSB1580.ini'.
! flq: MoveFile: 'C:\ProgramData\SETDA64.tmp' to 'C:\ProgramData\cfSB1580.ini' FAILED
! flq: Error 5: Access is denied.
! flq: Shuffle-MoveFile: 'C:\ProgramData\SETDA64.tmp' to 'C:\ProgramData\cfSB1580.ini' FAILED

The important part is locating the source folder of the driver's file inside the DriverStore cache. In my case it was

C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ksusbaud.inf_amd64_dddc3ba93d08f0d8\

So, go to this folder and copy *all* the INI and CFG files there to the root of C:\ProgramData\

Because the copied files will have the current user's permissions, the installer will now be able to overwrite the files instead of failing due to a permissions problem trying to create new ones.

With a copy of the config files inside C:\ProgramData\, go to Device Manager, open the Sound, Video and game Controllers node, Double click on the Katana entry (which is still using the Microsoft generic USB audio driver), go to the Driver tab, and select Update Driver.

The Creative driver should now install without errors. You can verify this by looking at the Driver Provider label in the Driver tab, it will now say 'Creative Labs' instead of 'Microsoft'. If you go to the Katana Speakers entry in the Sounds applet in the Windows Control Panel, you should see that 5.1 Surround and 7.1 Surround are now options also available to you (not just Stereo).

Good luck!"

P.S. Since some of the folders mentioned above are hidden system folders, you probably need to enable the setting in Windows that shows hidden files and folders first.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My ISP's cable modem is also a router and is actually located in the living room next to the tv and the tv box (and both connected to an APC 900VA UPS). The office is actually in another room, so I have a CAT6 cable that runs through the wall from the ISP's router to a socket on the office's wall.

Until now I had an ASUS 8 port gigabit switch connected to a LinkSys WAP300N Access Point for my own private wireless network. The wireless protocols supported by the LinkSys Access Point, however, were already not up to date (maximum speed was something like 144 Mbps, IIRC). My Internet download speed is 500 Mbps and upload speed 100 Mbps, FYI.

Also, anyone connecting their phones to the ISP's router network would also have access to my computers, and even though all of them were password protected and only people I knew were allowed to do this, I was not too kin on this idea.

So I ended up getting an ASUS Wireless Router GT-AC2900 to replace both the switch and the wireless access point. Being a router with a built-in firewall it isolates my network from the network provided by my ISP's router.

Attachment:
20200202_205845.jpg
20200202_205845.jpg [ 2.9 MiB | Viewed 36115 times ]

Attachment:
20200202_205525.jpg
20200202_205525.jpg [ 3.08 MiB | Viewed 36115 times ]

Also best of all it has - you guessed it! - RGB! Yay. Makes it 10% faster too. :wink: :P

The ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 is an 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5) dual-band router that supports maximum data transfer rates of up to 750Mbps on its 2.4GHz network and 2,167Mbps on its 5GHz network, which is plenty for most current generation client devices. It even supports DFS.

DFS stands for dynamic frequency selection and it’s a useful feature that isn’t supported by many routers. In a nutshell, it allows the router to use less congested channels that are typically reserved for government services. Since these channels are less congested, users can get better Wi-Fi performance by using them.

The firmware inside the router is also pretty sophisticated, allowing me to do sorely missed things such as analyzing traffic per device, etc... Needless to say, not only are wireless speeds much faster than before, as the wifi coverage was also greatly increased (a bonus for watching Netflix on the smart tv that is upstairs in the bedroom).

And the bloody router is also gorgeous to look at ehehe.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Articles  [ 111 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next