Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus Ultimate: first impressions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:21 am 

Hello everyone - subscribed to the wonderful Nexus Ultimate. Keep up the great work! Here's my lengthy first comment with questions, a few issues and wishlist. (NU 19.2.1144, W10 Pro x64 1909 18363.476)

1. Is there a way to have "Span the full screen width when docked" for Docks, too? Seems only possible for Shelves?

2. Full Screen Clock: seems green-only? It'd be great to inherit the Digital Clock Color setting - or even have a separate color setting.

3. Separator: an option to remove the visual indicator would be nice (Invisible Separator)

4. Wanda: when in an attached to the right vertical dock, the text does not come out to the left and gets cropped. Screenshot is in 2-monitor Extend mode, but text also gets cropped in single-monitor mode. Text is actually visible in the screenshot capture, but not in... real life.

5. RAM Meter: I have 8 GB of RAM and the indication I'm seeing is usually a constant 7-7.5 GB. Consulting the Windows Task Manager, it looks like I'm getting the "Committed" memory (currently 7.5/11.2) instead of the familiar (and imo more sensible) "In use" indication. Is this by design?

6. Context menus mouse over delay: trying to change this, but it reverts back to 500ms.

7. Nexus Preferences: I'd love a few enhancements, a) "Reset to Default" button for each, separate Preferences section (not just the nuclear "Reset Setiings only") b) a search/filter tab to quickly locate settings c) Preferences shortcut to Windows Desktop context menu.

8. A bit more customization to the Start Menu item/command/button, like icon size for example (I guess it could only become smaller than the global icon size setting).

9. Context menu: show a visual indication of currently enabled options for example Appearance and sounds: Dock Icon Size, Winstep Themes etc.

10. An item similar to the Windows "Peek at Desktop" button/function.

11. System Tray/Group system tray icons: (using a vertical dock) It seems the grouped icons are even smaller than what Windows displays. I'd love an option to have a grouping more similar to Windows: same size and spacing, even without the separation between tray icon "sets" (seems that every 9-icon "set" is treated as a separate item in the dock?)

12: System Tray/Always show all system tray icons: this seems dependent on the Windows setting. For example, if "Always shows all icons in the notification area" is enabled in Windows Settings, the Nexus setting has no effect on the Dock whether enabled/disabled.

13: I didn't thoroughlly test this, but when I enabled the grouped tray icons on my vertical Dock, they often got ungrouped on their own and I also had issues changing the Dock Icon size. I'll report if it occurs again, although for now I've removed the tray icons.

Sorry for the massive post. :)

Post subject: Re: Nexus Ultimate: first impressions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tweakthis&that wrote:
Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the thumbs up! :)

tweakthis&that wrote:
1. Is there a way to have "Span the full screen width when docked" for Docks, too?

No. Unlike Shelves, docks grow dynamically and do not feature scroll buttons.

tweakthis&that wrote:
2. Full Screen Clock: seems green-only? It'd be great to inherit the Digital Clock Color setting - or even have a separate color setting.

The full screen clock inherits the settings set for Alarms. You actually have a lot of options to play with. :)

tweakthis&that wrote:
3. Separator: an option to remove the visual indicator would be nice (Invisible Separator)

Simply use a blank PNG image as the icon for each separator item in the dock.

tweakthis&that wrote:
4. Wanda: when in an attached to the right vertical dock, the text does not come out to the left and gets cropped

Possibly a bug, I'll have a look at it, thanks. :)

tweakthis&that wrote:
5. RAM Meter: I have 8 GB of RAM and the indication I'm seeing is usually a constant 7-7.5 GB. Consulting the Windows Task Manager, it looks like I'm getting the "Committed" memory (currently 7.5/11.2) instead of the familiar (and imo more sensible) "In use" indication. Is this by design?

Yes. Physical memory usage is absolutely meaningless, as the OS will use (or try to) 100% of the physical memory at all times not only for applications but also for various caches, etc... What really matters is virtual memory usage.

tweakthis&that wrote:
6. Context menus mouse over delay: trying to change this, but it reverts back to 500ms.

Sounds like a bug too, I'll have a look at it before the next release, thanks. :)

tweakthis&that wrote:
7. Nexus Preferences: I'd love a few enhancements, a) "Reset to Default" button for each, separate Preferences section (not just the nuclear "Reset Setiings only") b) a search/filter tab to quickly locate settings c) Preferences shortcut to Windows Desktop context menu.

a) Not likely to be ever implemented. The nuclear 'reset' feature is basically only there for troubleshooting purposes.

b) More work than it is worth it, sorry, especially to maintain such a monster as new settings are added all the time and others are frequently re-shuffled or moved to different places. A lot more useful (and easier to maintain) than that would be a detailed user guide (which actually existed previously).

c) Eh? Not sure I understand why that would be useful over right clicking on the desktop?

tweakthis&that wrote:
8. A bit more customization to the Start Menu item/command/button, like icon size for example (I guess it could only become smaller than the global icon size setting).

Under Nexus Ultimate the default 'Start Menu' item in the dock invokes the Windows Start Menu. The item itself is actually an 'internal command' just like any other, and obeys the same rules as all the other icons/items in the dock. It is not 'special' in any way.

tweakthis&that wrote:
9. Context menu: show a visual indication of currently enabled options for example Appearance and sounds: Dock Icon Size, Winstep Themes etc.

The context menus in Nexus Ultimate are skinnable and based on code existing in the NextSTART component of Winstep Xtreme. Unfortunately these menus never included the functionality for 'check-marking' items. Perhaps something to add to the to-do list.

tweakthis&that wrote:
10. An item similar to the Windows "Peek at Desktop" button/function.

Unfortunately you cannot make the Peek Desktop Windows API call work from within a 32 bit application. Believe me, I tried. :)

tweakthis&that wrote:
11. System Tray/Group system tray icons: (using a vertical dock) It seems the grouped icons are even smaller than what Windows displays. I'd love an option to have a grouping more similar to Windows: same size and spacing, even without the separation between tray icon "sets" (seems that every 9-icon "set" is treated as a separate item in the dock?)

Nexus is the only dock that supports displaying system tray icons. From this perspective it's already very good that it gives you two methods to display those icons (single, or grouped to save space).

System tray icons have traditionally been 16x16 pixel images. Even if Windows 10 changed that somewhat for system icons depending on screen DPI settings, etc, the tray icons of other applications will STILL normally be the same 16x16 images, although scaled up a bit.

When grouping tray icons, Nexus will thus use the original 16x16 size for each of the small icons, and tries to make a grid that will fit in the space offered by the current icon size in the dock (for instance, if the dock icon size is 32x32 pixels, then Nexus can fit four tray icons per dock icon, if the dock icon size is 48x48 pixels, then it can fit 9 tray icons - a 3x3 grid of 16 pixel tray icons).

It's precisely because tray icons are traditionally really small images which would look really blurry when displayed in single mode and magnified to larger sizes, that Nexus Ultimate also provides a feature to customize tray icons with higher resolution images. Again, something unique to Nexus.

tweakthis&that wrote:
12: System Tray/Always show all system tray icons: this seems dependent on the Windows setting.

It is.

tweakthis&that wrote:
13: I didn't thoroughlly test this, but when I enabled the grouped tray icons on my vertical Dock, they often got ungrouped on their own and I also had issues changing the Dock Icon size. I'll report if it occurs again, although for now I've removed the tray icons.

Again, remember that in grouped mode Nexus will try to fit as many 16x16 tray icons as it will fit onto the current dock icon size. It also happens that, because docks by definition do not grow scroll buttons, Nexus will also automatically shrink the user defined icon size if necessary to make sure the dock still fits on the screen. As such, if you add too many items to a dock (and vertical space is usually more at a premium than horizontal space) then Nexus might have to re-calculate on-the-fly how many tray icons it can/will fit onto a single dock icon. Probably explains what you saw.

tweakthis&that wrote:
Sorry for the massive post. :)

Ufff... my fingers hurt. :-P

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Nexus Ultimate: first impressions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:17 pm 

Perfect, thank you for the detailed reply. 8)
winstep wrote:
The full screen clock inherits the settings set for Alarms. You actually have a lot of options to play with. :)
Looks great, hope you can also add an option to not show seconds.
Quote:
tweakthis&that wrote: 3. Separator: an option to remove the visual indicator would be nice (Invisible Separator)
winstep wrote: Simply use a blank PNG image as the icon for each separator item in the dock.
Tried this, but it creates a "hole" on my non-transparent dock. Ok, I didn't really mean invisible but "clear" (without the dot/line/arrow etc. that appears). I could easily retouch the separator icon for the themes I use, but I'm not sure if these are accessible. Didn't find them with a quick search.
Quote:
tweakthis&that wrote: 7. Nexus Preferences: c) Preferences shortcut to Windows Desktop context menu.
winstep wrote: c) Eh? Not sure I understand why that would be useful over right clicking on the desktop?
I meant for "Nexus Preferences" to appear as a context-menu item, when right-clicking on the Desktop (where the "NVIDIA Control Panel" also appears for example) but never mind, it's trivial.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]