Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Customize Install Options???
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:10 pm 

I bought WinStep Xtreme several months ago but have never used it, I installed it once and it took over my computer basically. Added all sorts of docks, widgets, mods, etc... by default that I didn't want. I had to fight thru trying to disable and remove all the stuff I didn't want by default. I gave up trying to get my setup back to a usable functional state and ended up just uninstalling it and there was still stuff that it had changed that I had to revert. I would like to be able to use many of it's features but was wondering if there is any way to customize what features get installed before installing?

Post subject: Re: Customize Install Options???
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:55 pm 

I had a similar experience, though I realised that Nexus Ultimate contained all the stuff I wanted and therefore removed the Xtreme trial. Ultimate is a bit less overwhelming, because it just adds a tray and a shelf.

Personally I would have preferred it if Xtreme started off with nothing turnd on and just showed the main preferences dialog. It could then invite the new user to add (or enable default) modules/taskbar/shelves/docks one at a time. A compromise might be to open the main preferences dialog once the application is installed, so it is immediately obvious where objects can be enabled/disabled.

That said, when I uninstalled I didn't notice any lasting impact. I didn't think Winstep changed anything in Windows - just applied itself as an additional set of functions and maybe hides the Windows taskbar (which reappears when I exit Winstep).

If I were you and wanted to try again, I'd just install it, then go to Preferences by right-clicking on a tray or shelf. Untick the 'enabled' box on every item in the first tab ('Docks and Shelves' or similar name). Then add them back one at a time.

Post subject: Re: Customize Install Options???
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

First, Winstep applications do not change/patch the system or interfere with 3rd party applications in any way, shape or form. They are just regular programs in that respect.

Second, Winstep Xtreme is more directed to the power user who likes to customize everything including the taskbar and Start Menu - if you want a more 'vanilla' experience you should go for Nexus Ultimate instead, as a sub-set of Winstep Xtreme it only adds a dock and the Shelf (tabbed dock) by default.

Third, Winstep applications are fully modular: basically everything can be turned on or off. While Nexus Ultimate is a single application, Winstep Xtreme is made of two main individual applications: NextSTART and WorkShelf. NextSTART takes care of the taskbar, Start Menu, customizable menus and hotspots while WorkShelf takes care of the docks, Shelves and desktop modules.

You can enable/disable/create new docks, shelves and drawers in the Docks & Shelves tag of WorkShelf/Nexus Ultimate Preferences. Likewise you can enable/disable specific desktop modules/widgets in the Modules tab of WorkShelf Preferences (Nexus Ultimate does not support desktop modules, only Winstep Xtreme does, please refer to this product comparison page)

You can prevent NextSTART in Winstep Xtreme from replacing the Windows taskbar by opening NextSTART Preferences going to the Taskbar tab and simply unchecking 'Allow NextSTART to replace the Windows taskbar'. You can even have BOTH the Windows and the Winstep taskbar visible at the same time if you want.

NextSTART also relies on a system of 'hotspots' to launch applications, open menus, etc... These can be managed in the Hotspots tab of NextSTART Preferences.

In addition to this, most objects support right click context menus, which also allow the user to manage that specific object. For instance, you can right click on the desktop Weather module and select 'Close Module'.

Here is the thing: there is without a doubt a learning curve (which is a lot steeper for Winstep Xtreme than it is for Nexus Ultimate) but you need to understand that both Winstep Xtreme and Nexus Ultimate are extremely powerful and flexible applications. They can do almost anything you want within the scope of what they are intended for, but you MUST give yourself enough time to figure out how things work.

The default/factory configuration is optimized for each application, but it's obvious that different people will have different tastes/needs.

I can assure you that if Winstep Xtreme opened with nothing but a Preferences dialog most users would be completely lost as to what it can do. Likewise if you offered an initial dialog asking the user what he wants enabled by default and what not - since he has never run the application, he has no idea before hand of what he wants. Only experimentation will give him that notion.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]