Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Notifications - Nexus Dock
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:55 pm 

Hello guys! I am a Mac user and I am so used to its dock that i am trying to replicate it on my windows gaming build.
The results so far are amazing, the free version of this program already gives me SO much personalisations that I am astonished and amazed. Anyway, I would like to know if it's possible to get the notifications on the dock itself.

I know it may be a little too much to ask but... dreams are for free. Maybe there's something i do in the wrong way and you already taught about this?
I use a lot of whatsapp, telegram, Skype and Discord on my computer and would be amazing to see that little red notification icon on my lovely dock!

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Post subject: Re: Notifications - Nexus Dock
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately those notifications (which normally appear on the Windows taskbar buttons) are tied to a specific Windows taskbar API. As far as I know, Microsoft did not implement a method that would allow a 3rd party application to also receive information about the notifications.

In the old times an application would simply make the taskbar button flash when it needed attention, and the system actually broadcasted a message to any application(s) interested in this. This task button flashing mechanism is supported in the Nexus dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:03 am 

Sorry, I am not a native english speacker so maybe i did not understand your message. Are you saying that it's not possible anymore but it was in the past?
The first part of your message seemed pretty clear but the second is not - at least to me. Seemed a contradiction, so i am pretty sure i did not get what you wrote. Could you please explain it again? Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just saying that the Winstep application has no way of knowing the number of notifications appearing on a taskbar button because - as far as I know - Windows does not expose this functionality to 3rd party applications.

Hope this makes it a bit clear. Ignore the second paragraph, it was just me talking about how things used to work in the past (but no longer do) when an application wanted to get the user's attention. The taskbar button for that application would simply FLASH/BLINK in the taskbar.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:45 am 

You've been very clear, thanks!
What about general notifications? I mean, not the exact number on new messages, for example, but just getting the user's attention on that application. Is it possible to implement something like this or remains valid what you said before?
Because I noticed that some icons on my dock seems to try to get my attention sometimes, so maybe there is a way just to... i don't know, maybe getting a little red dot on them? A sort of "animation" like the one with the trash, witch icon changes when it's full or empty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem is GETTING the notification. If the app still uses the old Windows method of flashing a button in the taskbar (which is supported by Nexus) then it will also flash in the dock... otherwise Nexus has no way of knowing that there is a new notification, since the app is then talking *privately* to the Windows taskbar.

Hope this makes sense to you...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:29 pm 

This makes perfectly sense, thanks a lot for you patience!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]