Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 147 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:52 pm 

after the update my shelf is broken, once it collapses its not responding to clicks on any of the tabs or mini tabs untill i exit the app an restart. drawer and docks work

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eh? Anyone else experiencing this? Not happening here.

Seeker, can you please send me a backup of your WorkShelf settings to Winstep support so I can give them a try here?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:53 pm 

sent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is it auto-collapsing, by the way? What if you collapse it manually by clicking the right mini-tab? Does this stop happening if you go to the Shelf Properties dialog -> Behavior tab -> More Options button -> clear 'Enable Snap to screen edges' ?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:00 pm 

winstep wrote:
Is it auto-collapsing, by the way?

yes
winstep wrote:
What if you collapse it manually by clicking the right mini-tab?

same thing

winstep wrote:
Does this stop happening if you go to the Shelf Properties dialog -> Behavior tab -> More Options button -> clear 'Enable Snap to screen edges' ?

still happens

loaded an old backup save from 2017, still happening, but i noticed something, when i bump the edge it activates the shelf and it works, it just doesnt work on click/mouseover while collapsed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad you found a work-around while I look into this.

As a last resort an update always makes a backup of the previous version's executable in C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Backup\

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:11 am 

When trying to update, a Winstep Update Manager popup states "Download Failed: Error decompressing setup file"

Please advise.

Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What Anti-Virus software are you using? Did you check THIS THREAD already?

Also, keep an eye on the contents of

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Versions\

while downloading the update. What do you see? Is there an xtreme-beta.zip file already in there? What happens if you try to open it? What happens if you delete it and then try to update again?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:41 am 

I use Avira antivirus, which did not flag or stop anything.

The zip file was in the folder. I could open it. After deleting it and redownloading, I received the same issue.

I could open the file and run the upgrade manually; just not sure what stopped it up front.

Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:52 pm 

winstep wrote:
Why do you have an icon in the dock pointing to 'explorer.exe' ?!

Hi,

Not sure I understand.. I'm talking about the regular Windows Explorer application. As mentioned it always appears as if always running even though there are no open windows for it (for example when the PC starts)

Please advise :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please post a screenshot of the offending icon in the dock with the running indicator showing and the Dock Item Properties of that item also open and showing. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:43 pm 

Attachment:
File comment: Screenshot showing the dock icon + properties
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_1.jpg [ 172.49 KiB | Viewed 13780 times ]
Hi

Please see attached

I can also show a screenshot proving that no WE windows are actually opened

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ryuk wrote:
Not sure I understand.. I'm talking about the regular Windows Explorer application. As mentioned it always appears as if always running even though there are no open windows for it (for example when the PC starts)

Do you understand my question now? I asked why you had an item in the dock pointing to Explorer.exe, what was the purpose of this. In Windows explorer is always running in the background even if you have no folders open, so any item in the dock that points to explorer.exe will always appear as currently running (because it is).

What you can do is point that item to a specific folder (e.g.; C:\) instead of directly to explorer.exe, for instance.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:53 pm 

Hi

I understand but that's not a solution. Creating a shortcut for a specific folder would do just that - create a shortcut for a specific folder. The icon for Windows Explorer would still appear in the list of running applications since the shortcut for the specific folder and WE are not the same thing.

Windows explorer perfectly works (obviously) in Windows taskbar and even (unofficially) in other docks such as ObjectDock. When a window is open - the icon shows WE as a running application. When no windows are open - the icon does not show it as a running application.

Can you please apply the same functionality?

Imagine driving your car when your turning indicators are always blinking on your dashboard even though they are off - because the blinking lights themselves are physically always there whether they are on or off. Possible? Yes. Annoying and confusing af? Hell yes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would say comparing this to a life-or-death safety tool like a blinker in a car or saying that a running indicator in an Explorer icon is confusing AF is going a bit overboard, no? lol

The Windows taskbar does nothing of the sort, since it does not display 'running indicators'. As for ObjectDock, you have to understand that each dock does things differently (and I am not privy to OD's code).

Internally in the Winstep app you have two different lists which are used for different puposes: one has a list of all running processes in your PC, another has a list of all open windows which are visible as a button in a taskbar.

Not only do many of the running processes NOT have a window, as many of the windows that actually exist are NOT supposed to be shown on the taskbar (only if they are top level, etc...)

Refreshing each of these lists is not free in terms of processing power. Winstep applications were built from the ground up to only perform a specific function IF it is really needed. For instance, if you do not have a network meter module anywhere, then the Winstep application does not waste time retrieving network data.

The running indicator functionality is based on the list of running processes which is only created/updated if and/or when required. The separate list of open windows is ONLY created if you are showing running applications on the dock (or elsewhere). If you do not have the dock set to show running applications, then this list is never created/updated so as not to waste CPU cycles.

Are you beginning to understand the problem now? What looks like a simple request is actually going to FORCE the Winstep application to

a) open an exception for Explorer.exe, which means writing custom code for it.

b) Enumerate all open windows every second if Explorer.exe is in the dock, even if you have the dock set NOT to display running applications (just the running indicators).

This said, since what you want does make **some** sense despite my initial reaction, I already added the code necessary for the running indicator to appear on an explorer.exe icon ONLY if an explorer window is currently open. You will see this functionality in the next beta/official release, whichever comes first.

From now on, however, I'll tell anyone complaining about CPU usage of the Winstep application to go talk to you. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 147 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next