Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Desktop icons not showing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:15 pm 

Hi,

I'm in love with this app and have using it over my windows 10. But recently I've started to face a situation wherein my desktop icons disappears after sometime of the boot.
I've checked all the settings for Nexus and Win 10 but nothing changed the situation.
Can you please help me solve this?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Desktop icons not showing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If they don't disappear immediately when Nexus runs and/or if the 'Hide Desktop icons' setting in Nexus Preferences is NOT checked, then something else is causing that issue, sorry.

Do the desktop icons come back if you exit Nexus?

Also, have you already tried figuring out if there is a 'trigger' to the desktop icons disappearing?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:24 pm 

Since the last Windows 10 update I have the same problem: as soon as the docks become visible, the desktop icons disappear. In Preferences > General "Hide desktop icons at stratup" is not checked.
2 docks: the main dock at the bottom with a number of tabs. An ancillary dock in the middle of my 3440 wide screen with subdocks.
I did not observe this behaviour until start of february when I switches from dual montitor to a single wide one. But I do not know exactly what Windows did in the meantime - the automatic updates are very intransparent!
My current W10 version is 10.0.18363
Somewhere I read that the number of shortcuts on the desktop influences behaviour of Windows (it was about W7). I have 5 short cuts + the recycle bin as icons on the destktop.
I will remove 1 of these and look what happens...

Back after reboot
That didn't help. However I have noticed that the time when the icons disappear is when the startup items in StartMenu\Programs\Starup are started:
WakeUpLog.ahk.lnk
TimePanic.lnk
Derect Folders.lnk
Winstart.lnk
Shorthand.lnk
In Autoruns I see that there may a conflict between StartMenu and HCU\...\CurrentVersion\Run - NextStart and Workshelf are there also.
I will disable WinStart.lnk in the StartMenu and look further.

Back after reboot
That did not help either - so I'm out of ideas now. The context menu on the desktop reports in View: Show Desktop Icons CHECKED. This was so over all the time of my tests. To make them visible again, i need to uncheck and check this setting...
I try this: disable automatic start of NextStart and Workshelf.

Back after Reboot
The desktop icons remain visible ...
So the problem must be somewehre in these two programs. For the next reboot only Workshelf is started automatically (NextStart is not started).

Back after Reboot
The desktop icons disappear as soon as Workshelf starts...
So what is wrong with Workshelf? I have set for this
  • Auto-hide after a short delay
  • Activate shelf by bumping ...
  • Do not launch mulitple sessions
  • Lock icons and prevent ...
  • Keep shelf visible when pressing WIN+D
Anything bad with these settings?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you right click on the Desktop and select 'View' from the Windows context menu that pops up, is the 'Show Desktop Icons' option checked?

Note that the above has nothing to do with the Winstep application per se, only with Windows/Explorer.

Also, what happens if you simply exit Winstep Xtreme (instead of rebooting)? Do the desktop icons become visible again?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:37 pm 

As said in my previous post:
DT > context menu > View > Show Desktop Icons is ON all the time, even if the icons are not visible.

If I exit WorkShelf, the DT-icons become visible again, If I start it, they disappear.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What happens if you start WorkShelf (DT icons disappear, right?), then go to Preferences, General tab, enable (since you say that option is disabled) 'Hide Desktop Icons' and press Apply?

If nothing happens, does anything happen if you then disable that setting again and press Apply one more time?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:54 pm 

After all this back and forth I again checked In Preferences > General "Hide desktop icons at stratup" - and it is checked! Of course it works as intended...

Have unchecked again and will see what happens at the next start/login.

After logout/login
Everything is still OK. How this setting was toggled? - Anyhow. Now I know where to find the desired switch!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]