Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: How to Backup Nexus Dock?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 pm 

Hello folks,

I am currently testing Winstep for the first time. I already found the Backup Mechanics for NextSTART und WorkShelf. I plan on using Winstep for my Notebook and DesktopPC. I configurated everything on my Notebook and wanted to transfer the Data on my DesktopPC to configure it further for my needs. Sadly I had to realise, that the Dock Settings (Position, Color, Docks and s.o.) are not included in the Setting-aBackups.

My question is now: How can I Ensure everything can be backuped, so I can reinstall everything fast and comfortable?

Post subject: Re: How to Backup Nexus Dock?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ALL settings (and dock, etc, contents) are backed up when you click on the Backup button in Preferences -> Advanced tab. If you are trying out Winstep Xtreme, like you seem to be doing, then you need to backup BOTH the NextSTART and WorkShelf settings, as they are individual applications.

What is NOT backed up is any themes you might have installed in the mean time. icons (external icon images), etc... Those you will have to copy separately.

Themes, etc, are normally stored under the

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep

folder.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:31 pm 

winstep wrote:
ALL settings (and dock, etc, contents) are backed up when you click on the Backup button in Preferences -> Advanced tab. If you are trying out Winstep Xtreme, like you seem to be doing, then you need to backup BOTH the NextSTART and WorkShelf settings, as they are individual applications.

What is NOT backed up is any themes you might have installed in the mean time. icons (external icon images), etc... Those you will have to copy separately.

Themes, etc, are normally stored under the

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep

folder.

Thank you your reply. Thank you for your answer, but this does not help do be honest. I already used both backup mechanics for "Shelf" and "START". But many settings are not applied.
My Dock does not look like the one i configurated, so i assumed that there are problems with the backups.
I Attached two Files. The Notebook File shows how i designed it so far and the Desktop File shows how it looked like when i installed Winstep AND integrated the Backup Files. Also the Sounds for the shelf are back. Originally i deactivated them. So i would assume the backup function is somewhat broken. At least for the trial version?
I would really like to know were i can manually backup the whole programm files.

Attachments:
Desktop.jpg
Desktop.jpg [ 104.85 KiB | Viewed 19628 times ]
Notebook.jpg
Notebook.jpg [ 22.34 KiB | Viewed 19628 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, that is not even possible, you must be doing something wrong.

Please try the following: in your Notebook, open WorkShelf Preferences, go to the Advanced tab and click the Backup button. Now give your backup a *unique* name, e.g.; "this is my test backup".

Now go to your desktop PC, open WorkShelf Preferences, go to the Advanced tab and click the Restore button. Make sure the backup you select to restore from is the one with the unique name you just gave it on your notebook.

Let me know what happened, please.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:14 am 

winstep wrote:
Sorry, that is not even possible, you must be doing something wrong.

Please try the following: in your Notebook, open WorkShelf Preferences, go to the Advanced tab and click the Backup button. Now give your backup a *unique* name, e.g.; "this is my test backup".

Now go to your desktop PC, open WorkShelf Preferences, go to the Advanced tab and click the Restore button. Make sure the backup you select to restore from is the one with the unique name you just gave it on your notebook.

Let me know what happened, please.

Well paint me green and call me a cucumber. I swear on everything that's holy to me that i did exactly the same as i did the first time making Backups for WorkShelf and NextSTART but this time it worked. The only difference this time was, that i renamed the two files. I still assume, that there was some error somewhere if i am honest.

Thank you anyways. Now i can try out individualizing Winstep on my desktop. SO far, i am pleased except for the little inconvenience. ^^

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:41 pm 

Well its me again. Now i have some other difficulties that are beyond my reason. FIrst ob I am often working with the Windows Key to tab out of a game. But the Taskbar is always invisible. I know i could make it always visible, but then I have the taskbar, well, always visible. Also in Games. I woul love to know were I could find a setting to make the Taskbar visible only when i press a button like the Windows Key. It looks like this while gaming and fast tabing out of the game:

Attachment:
Desktop-Taskbar invisible.jpg
Desktop-Taskbar invisible.jpg [ 805.72 KiB | Viewed 19580 times ]

I played with the settings a bit and hit the button to stretch or shorten the Taskbar. I got then the issue that my Taskbar now looks like this:

Attachment:
Desktop-Taskbar.jpg
Desktop-Taskbar.jpg [ 119.41 KiB | Viewed 19580 times ]

Are there any solutions for both of the problems? I unfortunately did not found some for these particular Problems of mine.

Edit: Maybe it is of intereest for this Case, that I am using an three Monitor Setup?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Xaardas wrote:
Well its me again. Now i have some other difficulties that are beyond my reason. FIrst ob I am often working with the Windows Key to tab out of a game. But the Taskbar is always invisible. I know i could make it always visible, but then I have the taskbar, well, always visible. Also in Games. I woul love to know were I could find a setting to make the Taskbar visible only when i press a button like the Windows Key. It looks like this while gaming and fast tabing out of the game:

A bit confusing to understand what you mean. The Win key is reserved by the system, so it cannot be used for anything (or what it does changed) by the Winstep application. Simply pressing WIN will always display the Windows Start Menu.

Xaardas wrote:
I played with the settings a bit and hit the button to stretch or shorten the Taskbar. I got then the issue that my Taskbar now looks like this:

Please feel free to play with the settings, as this is mostly how you learn how everything works. However, it is ALWAYS a good idea to make a backup of your current (good) known settings so you have something to go back to in case you manage to paint yourself into a corner.

In the above case it seems to me like you have changed the order of the taskbar sections, and that the 'running application taskbar buttons' area is now AFTER all the other areas. Either that or you disabled this area.

Open NextSTART Preferences, go to the Taskbar tab, click the Taskbar Settings button. Now click the Taskbar Sections button in the dialog that opens,

Make sure 'Start Button', 'Quick Launch', 'Tasklist' and 'System Tray' at the bottom are all checked and use the 'Up' and 'Down' buttons so that the order is Start Button, Quick Launch, Tasklist and then Sytem Tray at the very end.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:26 am 

Quote:
A bit confusing to understand what you mean. The Win key is reserved by the system, so it cannot be used for anything (or what it does changed) by the Winstep application. Simply pressing WIN will always display the Windows Start Menu.

OKay maybe it is because I am not an native speaker so sorry if i cause any misunderstandings this way. My particular Problem with this behaviour ist, that normally (Without WInstep running) by pressing the Win Key not only opens the Star Menu, but also pulls the Taskbar in the foreground, so that I can navigate from the Taskbar. Winstep has (as far as i managed to overlook the Setting) only the option to be always in the foreground, not by pressing a button like the Win Key.
I hope this made my issue a bit clearer ^^"

Quote:
Please feel free to play with the settings, as this is mostly how you learn how everything works. However, it is ALWAYS a good idea to make a backup of your current (good) known settings so you have something to go back to in case you manage to paint yourself into a corner.

Yep, that saved my butt here ^^

Thank yopu for your guidance with this setting problem anyways. I will remember it if I have this Issue again.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]