Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Making Universal Apps that are running "globaly" visible
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:53 am 

Here is the thing:
I use multiple Desktops to separate my work. My main "taskbar" is a Dock that is configured to show running apps. Some of the apps are classic windows apps, some are the "New and improved Universal Apps" that I personally really really dislike, but in some cases I have no choice but to use them.
Now, my problem is that when I switch desktops the only running apps that I can see in the dock are the classical apps. The Universal apps are disappearing, so in order to access them I have the do the WIN+Tab and click thing... This becomes a little annoying when I have many apps opened, do to the lag (my graphic card is really overdue for an upgrade...).
Can something be done about this? I mean, can we have an option to choose if we want apps to be visible on the dock as "per desktop" or "globally" for Classic apps and Universal apps?

Post subject: Re: Making Universal Apps that are running "globaly" visible
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The UWP apps that disappear are those NOT on the current virtual desktop, right? What about those in the current virtual desktop, do they all appear on the dock?

Either way I'm not sure this is something that can be fixed, as MS broke lots of rules with UWP apps and also because when you close them they don't really 'stop running' like normal Win32 apps, but instead become 'suspended'.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:05 pm 

winstep wrote:
The UWP apps that disappear are those NOT on the current virtual desktop, right? What about those in the current virtual desktop, do they all appear on the dock?

The UWP on the curent virtual desktop appear on the dock. No problem there...
The problem is indeed with the UWP apps that are NOT on current virtual desktop

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
The UWP on the curent virtual desktop appear on the dock. No problem there...
The problem is indeed with the UWP apps that are NOT on current virtual desktop

Right, exactly as I suspected. Basically the OS 'cloaks' UWP apps not on the current virtual desktop - and here is the problem: that being so, there is probably no way for a 3rd party application to distinguish between a UWP app that has been cloaked because it is not on the current desktop - and therefore should be shown - and one that has been cloaked because it's not currently running (e.g.; it's 'suspended', and therefore should NEVER be shown).

When you press the close button on a UWP app Windows does not remove the process from memory as it does with normal Win32 applications, instead it suspends it and 'cloaks' (that is actually the term) all associated windows.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

By the way Vlad, the email address associated with this account in the forums is bouncing back forum notifications with a 'Not a valid recipient' message. Just so you know. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:04 pm 

winstep wrote:
By the way Vlad, the email address associated with this account in the forums is bouncing back forum notifications with a 'Not a valid recipient' message. Just so you know. :)

It goes back to the day one. I entered the wrong mail (1 letter typo) when I bought the app. The "wrong" addres was available, so when I figured it out, managed to make an address with that name.... Never used it except for the key validation of winstep. Fixed that... Thx.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]