Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Slack and other notifications numbers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:41 pm 

I'm missing very important feature for me. It is notifications of windows events which are sent by launched applications, like Slack, or others.
Is it possible to create some visible number on launched application icons which shows how many notifications are pushed?
If there is some solution, can you describe me HowTo?
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:28 pm 

winstep wrote:
No need to have increments smaller than 100 ms, average human reaction time is about 215 ms, you would never notice the difference.

so I have come across of this program and I think its very nice, has a lot of features and function, there is one MAJOR problem with it that is making me NOT want to use it and that is the popup/down delay of dock of 100ms and I cannot go lower than 100ms.

I like my things instant, human reaction not able to notice difference below 215ms is simply not true, I game under 40ms and over I can notice delay and I hate it, I hate delay, I buy fast computer so I can live without it unless program don't support.

As you can see I hate it so much I take the time to register, googled one of your old post from 5 years ago just to reply here.

please allow 0ms thank you.

edit: in the mean time if you could tell me where the settings file are located (if theres one such as settings.ini, I wish to change the delay to sub 100ms before the next update).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:34 pm 

Sorry if it's been requested.

-Ability to change icon reflection percentage globally per dock (and all subdocks, gridstacks). Like a tick button to apply to all or something. Been pretty tedious changing every one of them so far as I go through customizing haha.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:23 am 

Hi, Im a old times user, but very new to this forum and also to Nexus.
After almost 20 years of messing with OsX and far from Windows as my everyday platform, I'm in love with what you have finally got working.

I miss, nevertheless the feature of drives being docked to the desktop and showing their available free /occupied space label, as a Winstep module. I think this could be a very cool addition if any of you had time and the will to work on it.

I checked out the trash bin included with the Office theme, and I DO love to be able to pin it to any place at will over the desktop, therefore it brought to me the idea of why couldnt you guys do something likeness to the way that hard drives look and work under OSX, being an option (same as the trash bin)?

Could this be possible?

Thank you very much for your time and excuse me if someone else already has written a similar comment before, but I havent read the whole thread.

Congratulations, Jorge, this is a much better, funny and useful dock than the Mac's one!!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ogru wrote:
Congratulations, Jorge, this is a much better, funny and useful dock than the Mac's one!!

Thanks!

As for the drive modules/widgets, they have been on the pipeline for a very long time - but they require something which hasn't been implemented yet: the ability for multiple desktop modules of the same kind, each with different arguments.

This would allow clocks showing different time zones, weather modules showing the weather for different locations, and, of course, also a 'drives' module showing stats for each of your existing drives.

Unfortunately something like this requires an extensive re-write of the module code since they were not built from the ground up with this in mind. On the other hand, I have been slowly changing the code to get it ready for such a radical change.

Just don't ask me when it will happen. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:45 pm 

Hello Jorge,
I was thinking lately how nice would it be if Winstep would become a multithreaded app.
What made me think about that was the fact that lately I found myself doing a lot of Recycle Bin emptying (of a large number of files). Because I use the desktop module for Recycle Bin (of course) I see myself having to wait for this process to finish, before doing anything else with the Winstep docks, shelfs, etc.
What do you think about this, Jorge?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:29 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Vlad wrote:
Hello Jorge,
I was thinking lately how nice would it be if Winstep would become a multithreaded app.
What made me think about that was the fact that lately I found myself doing a lot of Recycle Bin emptying (of a large number of files). Because I use the desktop module for Recycle Bin (of course) I see myself having to wait for this process to finish, before doing anything else with the Winstep docks, shelfs, etc.
What do you think about this, Jorge?

Yep, would be real nice. :) Alas, it's not a simple thing at all, as I'm sure Jorge will tell in more detail when he finishes moving his office. Basically, as I understand it, it would involve almost a complete re-write from scratch. Can you imagine how much work that would be!? That said, the way things are going with Windows, a time may well come sooner rather than later when 32-bit programmes won't be supported any more. As that would obsolete Winstep at a stroke, it might be worth considering preparing a - multi-threaded - 64-bit version on the side, Jorge? (And how about keeping it 100% portable - or better still, why not re-write it for Linux, since there's so much Ubuntu support in Win 10 now and it'll probably end up a Win-Lin hybrid eventually, with full gfx support etc.?)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alas... forget multi-threading.

When all this started - because me and John T.Folden wanted to emulate the look of NeXT style menus on Windows 95/98 and there was nothing back then that did this - I used the best tool at the time to make a quick mockup: Visual Basic 5.0.

I had no idea this 'mockup' would eventually develop into NextSTART, a full blow application, and eventually into Winstep Xtreme, etc... I had no idea that I would still be doing the same thing 20 years later, or that Microsoft would some years later scrap what was - at the time - the most popular development environment ever and replace it with that DOT Net abomination.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision, as they say, and had I known back then what I know now I would have used C++ instead of VB 5.0. But I didn't, and so I am now committed to using VB 5.0. That you can STILL do so much with it - and even applications like Nexus etc which you CANNOT do with DOT net because DOT Net isn't fast or lean enough - is a testament to how powerful classic VB was.

Re-writing the whole application(s) into C++ from the ground up is not a realistic option either, as Netscape learned when they tried re-writing their browser from scratch. By the time they finished the world had moved on, and all they had in their hands was a buggy mess - stability is also the result of years and years and years of bug fixes on top of bug fixes, something you do not benefit from when starting from scratch.

Problem is: classic VB is single threaded and this is a limitation of the language - it was never developed further to support multi-threading. I can only 'fake' multi-threading by using several tricks, and/or off-loading certain tasks to an external executable.

For instance, counting how many files are in the Recycle Bin and their sizes is actually done by winstep.exe, not the main application, so that the main application does not come to a screeching halt waiting for the API call to return when there are thousands of files in the Recycle Bin. Likewise, copying/moving a large number of files via drag & drop is also done by winstep.exe - this way the main application can remain responsive while the copy/move operation is still ongoing.

I guess emptying the Recycle Bin could also be offloaded to winstep.exe, if it's taking that long in your case.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:37 pm 

The ability to resize the taskbar clock, it is far too small to the point where I struggle to see it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

AlanWade wrote:
The ability to resize the taskbar clock, it is far too small to the point where I struggle to see it.

Do you actually mean the NextSTART taskbar in Winstep Xtreme or did you decide to rename a dock as a 'taskbar' ? :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:44 am 

winstep wrote:

Quote:
Alas... forget multi-threading.

When all this started - because me and John T.Folden wanted to emulate the look of NeXT style menus on Windows 95/98 and there was nothing back then that did this - I used the best tool at the time to make a quick mockup: Visual Basic 5.0.

I had no idea this 'mockup' would eventually develop into NextSTART, a full blow application, and eventually into Winstep Xtreme, etc... I had no idea that I would still be doing the same thing 20 years later, or that Microsoft would some years later scrap what was - at the time - the most popular development environment ever and replace it with that DOT Net abomination.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision, as they say, and had I known back then what I know now I would have used C++ instead of VB 5.0. But I didn't, and so I am now committed to using VB 5.0. That you can STILL do so much with it - and even applications like Nexus etc which you CANNOT do with DOT net because DOT Net isn't fast or lean enough - is a testament to how powerful classic VB was.

Re-writing the whole application(s) into C++ from the ground up is not a realistic option either, as Netscape learned when they tried re-writing their browser from scratch. By the time they finished the world had moved on, and all they had in their hands was a buggy mess - stability is also the result of years and years and years of bug fixes on top of bug fixes, something you do not benefit from when starting from scratch.

Problem is: classic VB is single threaded and this is a limitation of the language - it was never developed further to support multi-threading. I can only 'fake' multi-threading by using several tricks, and/or off-loading certain tasks to an external executable.

For instance, counting how many files are in the Recycle Bin and their sizes is actually done by winstep.exe, not the main application, so that the main application does not come to a screeching halt waiting for the API call to return when there are thousands of files in the Recycle Bin. Likewise, copying/moving a large number of files via drag & drop is also done by winstep.exe - this way the main application can remain responsive while the copy/move operation is still ongoing.

I guess emptying the Recycle Bin could also be offloaded to winstep.exe, if it's taking that long in your case.

Thank you Jorge for taking the time to answer. So, winstep is in a tough spot... Hope you will continue to find workarounds... And I suppose those are better than having to deal with the problem. Good thing you are a resourceful person.
Happy coding!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:26 am 

winstep wrote:
AlanWade wrote:

Do you actually mean the NextSTART taskbar in Winstep Xtreme or did you decide to rename a dock as a 'taskbar' ? :wink:

The Winstep Extreme NextStart taskbar. The theme I am using is called DarkTech although it is the same with other themes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:30 pm 

Quote:
Unfortunately something like this requires an extensive re-write of the module code since they were not built from the ground up with this in mind. On the other hand, I have been slowly changing the code to get it ready for such a radical change.

Just don't ask me when it will happen. :)

Thanks again Jorge, I've readen you. I'm aware of the difficulties, and hope that you will do a great job as you've managed to do until now!!! Cheers!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

AlanWade wrote:
The Winstep Extreme NextStart taskbar. The theme I am using is called DarkTech although it is the same with other themes.

The font size used for the clock button on the NextSTART taskbar is set by the theme itself (and was set by the person who made that particular theme).

You can try to increase the font size used for the clock button by going to NextSTART Preferences -> Themes tab -> Fonts button, and changing the font size for 'Taskbar buttons' but, as the name implies, this will have an effect on other things too.

You can actually manually scale up the NextSTART menus themselves (NextSTART Preferences -> Menus tab -> Menu Scaling setting) but alas, you cannot do the same for the actual taskbar/taskbar elements.

Something else you might consider is increasing the DPI settings of your monitor and then rebooting, this will make EVERYTHING larger (including the Windows desktop environment itself) and thus easier to see. Winstep Xtreme is high-DPI compatible, but if you have more than one monitor you must make sure all monitors have the same DPI setting (e.g.; all 100% or all 125%).

It would probably be a lot easier to simply refer to WorkShelf's clock module instead whenever you need to see the time. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:47 am 

winstep wrote:
AlanWade wrote:

The font size used for the clock button on the NextSTART taskbar is set by the theme itself (and was set by the person who made that particular theme).

You can try to increase the font size used for the clock button by going to NextSTART Preferences -> Themes tab -> Fonts button, and changing the font size for 'Taskbar buttons' but, as the name implies, this will have an effect on other things too.

You can actually manually scale up the NextSTART menus themselves (NextSTART Preferences -> Menus tab -> Menu Scaling setting) but alas, you cannot do the same for the actual taskbar/taskbar elements.

Something else you might consider is increasing the DPI settings of your monitor and then rebooting, this will make EVERYTHING larger (including the Windows desktop environment itself) and thus easier to see. Winstep Xtreme is high-DPI compatible, but if you have more than one monitor you must make sure all monitors have the same DPI setting (e.g.; all 100% or all 125%).

It would probably be a lot easier to simply refer to WorkShelf's clock module instead whenever you need to see the time. :)

Thankyou very much for your detailed explanation Jorge, the first suggestion has worked just as I wanted it to. At 68 my tired old eyes just struggled to see the taskbar clock but now its just right, once again thankyou.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 58  Next