Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Latest Windows 11 update broke NEXUS System Tray
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:24 pm 

ufa achei quue era problema no meu computador, achei que era o antivirus, vou esperar atualização do software pra corrigir o BUG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

manoelcbaimoveis wrote:
ufa achei quue era problema no meu computador, achei que era o antivirus, vou esperar atualização do software pra corrigir o BUG

As you managed to post in English twice before, I don't see why you suddenly feel the need to post in whatever that language is - there's a hint it might be Portuguese, but online machine translation couldn't identify let alone translate.

Please stick to posting in English, or if necessary in your native language plus a machine translation to English.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:07 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Just a P.S. to my last reply to you, Froschfinger.

The user concerned deemed it appropriate to continue in the same vein of abuse with a PM, which earned him a ban. Some people just never learn. :/

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:55 pm 

nexter wrote:

The user concerned deemed it appropriate to continue in the same vein of abuse with a PM, which earned him a ban. Some people just never learn. :/

I - most of the times, that is - try to keep my head open for possible misunderstandings before I evaluate a situation/communication or a person by what she says or does. It's sometimes hard to overcome the thought that what you hear is what was meant by your opposite. And sometimes there is only so much you can do when someone starts going haywire. Seems this has gotten enough attention, especially if he continued in this manner via personal messages. You can't save the world. Not everyone is a gentleman :) .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:57 pm 

nexter wrote:
Well, err.... - make that 'bromance', perhaps, FF? ;)

I needed to pick that up, and 'romance' does even ring more true to the sound of our conversation, hehe :D .

nexter wrote:
Anyway, have a fab weekend digital friend Froschfinger. :D

You, too, dear nexter!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:18 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
nexter wrote:

I - most of the times, that is - try to keep my head open for possible misunderstandings before I evaluate a situation/communication or a person by what she says or does. It's sometimes hard to overcome the thought that what you hear is what was meant by your opposite. And sometimes there is only so much you can do when someone starts going haywire. Seems this has gotten enough attention, especially if he continued in this manner via personal messages. You can't save the world. Not everyone is a gentleman :) .

I don't think any misunderstandings can come into play where things like plain bad manners, let alone abuse and abusive language are concerned. Somebody posts sensibly and decently, my response will always be accordingly and I try and be as helpful as I can. OTOH, if someone's post is plainly somewhat foolish, they'll be treated accordingly, and if it's bad mannered, downright rude or even abusive, again, I'll respond accordingly.

I have very little spare time and even less time to spend online as health issues mean I can only sit at my desk for a very short time before having to take a little or not so little break with my feet up. (If I don't take the greatest care with this it could develop into full-blown cellulitis.) Consequently, I prefer not to waste any of that time. Genuine misunderstandings on forums and the like tend to be pretty rare in my experience, although I do make allowance for the possibility of this nonetheless. I don't expect everyone to be a perfect gentleman or lady, but I do expect and indeed demand a modicum of good manners, courtesy and respect. But indeed, not everyone lives up to that. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:51 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
nexter wrote:
Well, err.... - make that 'bromance', perhaps, FF? ;)

I needed to pick that up, and 'romance' does even ring more true to the sound of our conversation, hehe :D .

nexter wrote:
Anyway, have a fab weekend digital friend Froschfinger. :D

You, too, dear nexter!

Well, 'romance' would have somewhat gay overtones - not that I have any problems with gay people, but I'm just an ordinary and fairly macho hetero patriarch. ;) 'Bromance' OTOH doesn't have such overtones. :D

Thanks, and enjoy the rest of the weekend. :) Myself, I think I'll need as much as possible of what's left of it to relax and recover from the last week or two of pretty hectic work here with spammers/spam bots and especially the sudden unusual surge of inappropriate etc. posts. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:07 pm 

I found was a problem on my computer, I thought it was the antivirus, I'll wait for software update to fix the BUG,
my system tray also stopped working, I ask the developers to update the version to fix the BUG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:44 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

manoelcbaimoveis wrote:
I found was a problem on my computer, I thought it was the antivirus, I'll wait for software update to fix the BUG,
my system tray also stopped working, I ask the developers to update the version to fix the BUG

Your antivirus is of no relevance here and just adds noise to the signal-to-noise ratio. The flaming sys tray problem has been widely reported and discussed in this forum and you're not adding anything new, thus adding still more noise.

Please study the Board Rules and Guidelines so that in future you will know when, where, and how to post. Any further inappropriate post could result in a ban.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:24 am 

nexter wrote:
Well, 'romance' would have somewhat gay overtones - not that I have any problems with gay people, but I'm just an ordinary and fairly macho hetero patriarch. ;) 'Bromance' OTOH doesn't have such overtones. :D

I know, and being a family father with not much interest in same-sex erotic encounters thus far, I opted for this variant because it's not as cheesy as 'bromance' sounds. Romance is a little more over-the-top, so I liked it more (blame Aunty Donna and their raunchy humour for that).

nexter wrote:
Myself, I think I'll need as much as possible of what's left of it to relax and recover from the last week or two of pretty hectic work here with spammers/spam bots and especially the sudden unusual surge of inappropriate etc. posts. 8)

Well, you still got your (un-)fair share of abusive posts yesterday, innit? I saw the 'F_U_nexter' guy (guess who it was), that's as direct an insult as it gets. Don't let him spoil your good mood, mate ;) .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
nexter wrote:

I know, and being a family father with not much interest in same-sex erotic encounters thus far, I opted for this variant because it's not as cheesy as 'bromance' sounds. Romance is a little more over-the-top, so I liked it more (blame Aunty Donna and their raunchy humour for that).

The term 'romance' is traditionally defined as a (romatic) relationship between a man and a woman, although alas, today it can apply to any such relationship between any two people, but if not referring to the traditional definition, it's then only really appropriate if that relationship is properly of another variety such as gay. (English can be a very subtle bu precise language really. ;) ) OTOH, the very recent term 'bromance' in this case has an element of light-heartedness, humour, or even irony, and as such, it's quite a useful word in this day and age (alas!), so I considered it more appropriate. :) I don't really perceive it as cheesy, I must say, considering it's really just a contraction of 'brother/ly' and 'romance'. :)

froschfinger wrote:
nexter wrote:
Myself, I think I'll need as much as possible of what's left of it to relax and recover from the last week or two of pretty hectic work here with spammers/spam bots and especially the sudden unusual surge of inappropriate etc. posts. 8)

Well, you still got your (un-)fair share of abusive posts yesterday, innit? I saw the 'F_U_nexter' guy (guess who it was), that's as direct an insult as it gets. Don't let him spoil your good mood, mate ;) .

LOL! And LOL! Yeah mate, and I'd been hoping not to have to come in at all yesterday. :/ ;) I don't really believe in letting any silly buggers spoil my mood. Nor do I believe in getting mad - why bother when one should get even! :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:39 am 

nexter wrote:
The term 'romance' is traditionally defined as a (romatic) relationship between a man and a woman, although alas, today it can apply to any such relationship between any two people, but if not referring to the traditional definition, it's then only really appropriate if that relationship is properly of another variety such as gay. (English can be a very subtle bu precise language really. ;) ) OTOH, the very recent term 'bromance' in this case has an element of light-heartedness, humour, or even irony, and as such, it's quite a useful word in this day and age (alas!), so I considered it more appropriate. :) I don't really perceive it as cheesy, I must say, considering it's really just a contraction of 'brother/ly' and 'romance'. :)

That's the beauty of semantics, the lexicalised meaning of words and sentences, versus pragmatics, the actualised, contextualised meaning (I actually studied linguistics and especially pragmatics). I know the scope of meaning of 'romance', and it was exactly what I was aiming at: over-exaggerating, because 'people' (one person) started complaining and confirming my suspicion that someone could feel offended by us bantering so dearly. While bromance, in my sense cheesy, because it has become some kind of in-word amongst (male) hipsters, covers it in a semantical way, 'romance' is more appropriate for the emotion I wanted to invoke :) .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:56 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
That's the beauty of semantics, the lexicalised meaning of words and sentences, versus pragmatics, the actualised, contextualised meaning (I actually studied linguistics and especially pragmatics). I know the scope of meaning of 'romance', and it was exactly what I was aiming at: over-exaggerating, because 'people' (one person) started complaining and confirming my suspicion that someone could feel offended by us bantering so dearly. While bromance, in my sense cheesy, because it has become some kind of in-word amongst (male) hipsters, covers it in a semantical way, 'romance' is more appropriate for the emotion I wanted to invoke :) .

That's the beauty of the subtlety of the English language in use - the term romance as used does not convey the meaning you intended. Exaggeration/sarcasm/irony would have been invoked had you put romance in quotation marks. :)

Hipsters - male or otherwise - along with 'modern men' and 'metrosexuals' are abominable species IMO, can't stand that nonsense. :) And while I'm not particularly fond of the term 'bromance' myself, I find that nowadays it has become a useful term used by not only male hipsters and others of that ilk but by all and sundry of both male and female gender.

So there's another related interest we share as it were - linguistics and philology/etymology etc. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:26 am 

nexter wrote:
That's the beauty of the subtlety of the English language in use - the term romance as used does not convey the meaning you intended. Exaggeration/sarcasm/irony would have been invoked had you put romance in quotation marks. :)

Hipsters - male or otherwise - along with 'modern men' and 'metrosexuals' are abominable species IMO, can't stand that nonsense. :) And while I'm not particularly fond of the term 'bromance' myself, I find that nowadays it has become a useful term used by not only male hipsters and others of that ilk but by all and sundry of both male and female gender.

So there's another related interest we share as it were - linguistics and philology/etymology etc. :D

Indeed we share this, and to a great degree, I suppose :) .

Apart from that, I think the meaning of romance isn't too hard to decode and its usage not too far from the German equivalent. And using quotation marks is more of an Irony 1.0 version. I understand that the meaning is harder to detect, but I found quotation marks to be too easy to decipher as irony. Whatever it is, romance or bromance, it's a beautiful thing we encounter here :D .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:06 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
Indeed we share this, and to a great degree, I suppose :) .

Well, related fields really, linguistics and philology/etymology. :) I dabbled with quite a few other languages in my time, inc. modern High German (which seems to have more Slavonic influences and vocabulary than anything else! Not to mention twisting the spellings and meanings of Latin and classical Greek 'loanwords' often almost beyond recognition!) (Not that I remember much of that), Welsh, and, following my 'hero' the late Prof. Tolkien's example, Finnish - both of the latter of which I did miserably in! - classical Greek, some of the oriental Indo-Germanic languages, Persian (one of the most beautiful poetic of languages anywhere!), Sanskrit, Pali, and Hindi - inc. the relevant scripts, i.e. Persian and Devanagari - not forgetting Yiddish and a touch of Aramaic and Arabic, and several more as a kiddie at my gramp's feet that I almost completely forgot eventually, alas. :)

froschfinger wrote:
Apart from that, I think the meaning of romance isn't too hard to decode and its usage not too far from the German equivalent. And using quotation marks is more of an Irony 1.0 version. I understand that the meaning is harder to detect, but I found quotation marks to be too easy to decipher as irony.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree a little there, but I'm sure we can do so happily. :)

froschfinger wrote:
Whatever it is, romance or bromance, it's a beautiful thing we encounter here :D .

And so it is, indeed! A rare thing here nowadays, to be sure. 8)

But I'm afraid we're straying a bit far off topic again.... :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2