Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Translations  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Welcome! Read me first please.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello everybody,

Winstep has recently started adding multi-language support to its product range.

If you would like to help, you can find instructions at the bottom of this post on how to use the Winstep Translator Helper application that is included with multi-language versions of Winstep software to make new translations.

IMPORTANT NOTE about WorkShelf/Nexus Ultimate translations:

Since the Nexus dock is a subset of WorkShelf, WorkShelf language files are essentially Nexus language files with about a couple hundred more entries of WorkShelf-specific text added to them.

This has a major implication: translating WorkShelf into a new language will also indirectly result in a Nexus language file. Note that Nexus Ultimate also uses the WorkShelf language files.

IMPORTANT NOTE about NextSTART translations:

NextSTART shares some text with WorkShelf. Because of this you can save some work by importing shared translations from WorkShelf language files (provided one exists for your language, of course).

IMPORTANT NOTE about translations in General:

When translating Nexus, WorkShelf, or the Start Menu Organizer into a new language, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you translate the Winstep Update Manager as well (only about 50 entries of text). This is because the Winstep Update Manager is an application common to all the programs mentioned above and will default to displaying text in English if a proper language file cannot be found.

PLEASE double check that your translation is correct and doesn't overflow the space available by opening as many dialogs and context menus as possible (don't forget the clock/recycler/etc module configuration dialogs which are available by right clicking on a module in a dock or shelf).

Usually mistakes are not very serious, but sometimes they can be: someone once incorrectly translated 'Settings' as 'Clock Settings'. This made every single context menu with the word 'Settings' imply that it would configure the clock instead of whatever module that context menu belonged to. As a result, a lot of people belonging to countries speaking that language got confused and ended up uninstalling the software convinced they could not configure the Weather module to report conditions in their own location. Since I didn't speak that particular language, I had a very hard time figuring out why so many people were having trouble with the weather module.

How to use the Winstep Translator Helper to translate into a new language:

Lets imagine you want to translate Nexus into the Swedish language: in the Winstep programs folder in the Start Menu you will find a shortcut to the Winstep Translator Helper application.

Run it and click on File -> Open.

You will see a handful of folders. Inside each folder are the language files specific to that application. In this case we go into the Nexus folder, and are presented with a list of available languages.

The base (or startup language) for any new translation is usually English, so double click the English.ini file to open it.

Change the name of the language in the Language field from 'English' to your language's native name (in this case, Svenska), type in your name in the 'Last Edited By:' field, click on File -> Save As, and save using the English name of the language (in this case, Swedish).

You are now ready to start translating - hopefully the interface of the Translator Helper should be pretty self-explanatory. And don't forget to save often as you go along!

One tool that could be quite useful in saving you a little bit of work is the 'Import Translations from Another Language File' entry in the Tools menu, assuming that, for instance, the Organizer already has a Swedish translations. Since some of the phrases used in the Organizer might also be used in the Nexus dock, through the use of this tool you can import common phrases that have already been translated into Swedish by someone else.

It is important to realize that you don't have to make literal (word-by-word) translations, what really matters is the general meaning. With this in mind, be very careful not to make each translated phrase much longer than the original - extra space has been allocated in the User Interface to fit longer phrases, but available space is still limited and if you over do it your translation text might end up being cropped (and the end result will look really bad).

As you go along, is natural to want to make corrections based on what you see in the User Interface of the application you are translating.

Usually both the Translator Helper and the target application's UI are open at the same time, but you have to remember that, to see a change you just made, you must first re-save the file in the Translator and then refresh the currently selected language in the target application. To do the later, you go to the About tab of the target application (where the language selector is usually located), select some other language and then immediately re-select the language you are working on. This forces a reload of the language file.

Once you've finished your translation, please send it to support@winstep.net and it will be included in the next release for the application you are translating.

It's probably also a good idea to send an email to Winstep support letting us know that you've taken the task of translating a Winstep application into a specific language, so we can coordinate things and prevent two or more people from submitting identical translations.

Thanks and happy translations,

Last edited by winstep on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 60 times in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:18 am 

-*- Swedish translation file complete and usable, but likely need some additional fixing -*-

Post subject: Reworking and Completing Italian Translation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:27 pm 

I am currently reworking and completing the Italian Translation file. Will have it complete in less than a week.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:17 am 

I can give some help on translating to Chinese (Traditional), is it too late for me to join?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:50 am 

:lol:
Hello,maybe I can help with the translationg into Simplified Chinese, if it is not too technologically difficult.

Post subject: Complete translation to Italian
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:39 pm 

I have finished translating WinStep Xtreme to Italian. Have just uploaded all the files to the support team.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Complete translation to Italian
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

KatmandewFBA wrote:
I have finished translating WinStep Xtreme to Italian. Have just uploaded all the files to the support team.

Sorry, KatmandewFBA, been so busy with the new releases and web site I forgot to reply... Thanks for the translation, I'm going to integrate them and then I'll get back to you via the Winstep support address. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Romanian anyone?
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:15 pm 

hey... u guys fancy Romanian language anywhere in there?:D
i will gladly translate from English to Romanian.
it's a shame that there are few of these softwares in romanian.

Post subject: Re: Welcome! Read me first please.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:10 pm 

i use google translator for different language conversion. so i think they dont need your service ny2lond.

Post subject: Re: Welcome! Read me first please.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh yes we do. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Board index : Winstep Forums : Translations  [ 10 posts ]