Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Sneak Preview: WorkShelf Preferences using the new UI.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, pay no attention that the banner for the new WS Preferences is still the old Nexus banner. Also, I'm running that from the IDE, so the buttons and controls are not being 'skinned' by the OS.

What you can see below are the new Preferences pages for Modules and Theme Management (which were the most difficult to do because I had to change not only the looks but also basic functionality).

Note how the module list is now a list box instead of a drop down combo box. This makes it much easier to select a module and also calls the attention of the user to the modules that are currently available for him to play with.

As you can see, WorkShelf (like Nexus) now generates theme previews in 'real time'.

Of course, when implementing the new Themes tab I noticed the differences in implementation between the Nexus Themes tab and the older WorkShelf themes tab.

In the former once you select a theme reflects in the rest of Preferences (i.e. go to another tab and back to the Themes tab, and the new NX theme you just selected is still active).

In WorkShelf, moving to another preferences tab and then back would display the currently applied theme instead. Also, moving into the Modules tab would preview the modules for the currently active theme, not for the new theme you just selected. To load a theme you actually had to double click it or click on the Apply or Ok buttons WHILE STILL on the themes tab.

So I think that, for the sake of consistency, the WS themes tab should perform the same way as the Nexus themes tab. Once you select a theme in it, that's it, that's the theme that will be applied unless you press Cancel.

What do you guys think?

Also, do you see that 'Docks & Shelves' tab in there?

In antecipation for the day WS supports multiple-shelves, I decided to separate all Shelf related settings from the main Preferences screen (just like you have separate Properties pages for each dock).

So, essentially you have a main Preferences screen (which you can see in the pictures above) and then, for each dock you have a separate Properties screen with the following tabs:

Position & Behavior
Appearance
Effects
Themes (I decided to 'merge' the old Dock Style Editor with Dock Properties - makes all the sense in the world).

and a separate Properties screen for the shelf (or for each shelf when we have multiple shelves) with the following tabs:

Position
Behavior
Effects
Themes

The later Shelf Properties tab would display a list of shelf only themes, just like the Nexus themes tab does the same for dock themes, and is essential because once multiple shelves are supported, each shelf will be able to have its own theme (just like NX does now).

So, any thoughts?

Last edited by winstep on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:41 pm 

Jorge, first of all, I've got to say this again, the new interface really is superb. I can't wait for you to release this version.

I think it makes perfect sense to have the WS themes tab function exactly the same as the Nexus tab, keep everything seamless so users upgrading from the free version find everything
performs as exactly as expected. I think the way Nexus retains the theme selected, while flipping through tabs is far better anyway.

I always hoped some day you would introduce multiple shelves, I never asked as I thought you had enough to do with the total revamp of the interface. Anyway everything you say about the shelf related screens is spot on as usual. :D :D :D

Best Regards

Gerard Booth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:51 pm 

Looks like brand new software. Can't wait to shake the bugs out of it. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:43 pm 

Man, this look good. I think I'm drooling a little :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:01 am 

I thought you were adding a tab for wallpapers. That a 'no go' for this edition, or did that suggestion come after the mockups?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

docbert wrote:
I thought you were adding a tab for wallpapers. That a 'no go' for this edition, or did that suggestion come after the mockups?

Wallpapers only are available from the drop down menu (as it happens in the Themes tab of Nexus Preferences).

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here go a few more screenshots :

Last edited by winstep on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:34 am 

Looks good, but that logo is a very poor choice. You don't want to put a cross over your product logo. My first reaction on it is that it's a warning sign, specially since it's a bit triangular in shape too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahah, at first I thought you meant the new WorkShelf logo, but you actually mean the Nexus logo? A bit too late for that, since the stand alone Nexus release is out already - with that logo. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:52 pm 

winstep wrote:
Ahah, at first I thought you meant the new WorkShelf logo, but you actually mean the Nexus logo? A bit too late for that, since the stand alone Nexus release is out already - with that logo. :wink:

I was refering to the workshelf logo. The nexus logo doesn't have the Winstep W behind it, so it's not really an issue there... If anything it tells me to not be square, and that's perfectly fine by me. :D

Why not go for the same square background as the nexus logo and have the hammers over that... It would be unique but still reflect that workshelf and nexus are designed to work together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:15 am 

Jorge, I really like the new UI, although I could do without the animated text when first opening it. The X he's referring to is the two hammers crossed over each other, I think.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:20 am 

I'd like for the option for Each of these preference windows (Nexus, WorkShelf, NextStart preferences) to open on the tab that I last had open by default.

Usually that is because that is the area I am working on or trying out etc.

I can't recall when I last opened preferences because I needed to see the large logo or the animated text (nice as it is) but usually the first thing I do is select the tab I was working on before.

Much nicer if there was an option for the preference windows to start where I last finished with it.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]