Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, guys, I just uploaded a new beta of Nexus, which you can download from HERE. It MUST be installed on top of a previous Nexus version (but don't forget to exit Nexus before running Setup.exe).

The new beta changes the way Nexus grabs the focus when moused over (the most likely culprit regarding this problem), and it also allows you to turn this feature off if the problem is not solved simply by installing the new version (Nexus Preferences -> Advanced tab -> Misc.Advanced Button -> disable 'Popup dock on mouse over').

If the new version does not solve this problem, then at least it rules out one of the possible causes and I can start looking elsewhere for the culprit.

Please let me know the results ASAP.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:30 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Ok, guys, I just uploaded a new beta of Nexus, which you can download from HERE. It MUST be installed on top of a previous Nexus version (but don't forget to exit Nexus before running Setup.exe).

The new beta changes the way Nexus grabs the focus when moused over (the most likely culprit regarding this problem), and it also allows you to turn this feature off if the problem is not solved simply by installing the new version (Nexus Preferences -> Advanced tab -> Misc.Advanced Button -> disable 'Popup dock on mouse over').

If the new version does not solve this problem, then at least it rules out one of the possible causes and I can start looking elsewhere for the culprit.

Installed it, started workshelf and nextstart again... Created a shortcut on desktop and focus is gone again. Though the update might be only on the stand-alone nexus which could be a difference. Throwing it out anyway.

System:
550watt PSU
Asus P5QL-E mobo
Intel C2D E8400 cpu
HD4850 512MB GPU
2x2GB 800MHZ DDR2

Win7 x86_64

No software for mouse/keyboard... They're plug and play and don't have any special features... It's a trust keyboard and a mice from Logitech (from the cordless desktop EX110 set or something like that, a simple mouse in any case and cheap...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Err, if you installed the Nexus beta on top an existing Winstep Xtreme installation, you better not try to uninstall it now - you'll damage your Winstep Xtreme installation. Just delete the Nexus.exe executable, you don't need it (Nexus in WSX is embeded in WorkShelf.exe).

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:11 am 

winstep wrote:

Well, I would say you've sorted it!! :D

Installed the beta on top of what I already had and I was able to select desktop icons without them instantly loosing focus. I played around a bit and Nexus behaved itself throughout.
Just to be sure, I also disabled 'Popup dock on mouse over' and straight away selected desktop icons lost focus again.

Thank you very, very much :D

Sorry, scratch that, I've just triggered it off again....

Most of the time it's fine but I've found that if I press the "Show Desktop" icon from the quick launch bar or use the short cut keys (Win+D) the desktop icons lose focus again. However, If I minimize all the windows I have open to get back to the desktop, the icons do not lose focus.

Sorry :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Just to be sure, I also disabled 'Popup dock on mouse over' and straight away selected desktop icons lost focus again.

Heh?! That's not right. Disabling the 'popup on dock mouse over' setting should be the cure, not cause the problem!

Can you please double check?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:55 am 

winstep wrote:
Quote:

Heh?! That's not right. Disabling the 'popup on dock mouse over' setting should be the cure, not cause the problem!

Can you please double check?

Sorry, I thought you meant having 'Popup dock on mouse over' enabled was meant to fix it and to disable it if it didn't.

I've checked and tried again - no matter what I do, having 'Popup dock on mouse over' enabled or disabled, the icons still lose focus when I use the "Show Desktop" icon or short cut keys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, now you lost me...

The 'focus' bug described in this thread has, as far as I know, nothing to do with the 'Show Desktop' icon and associated shortcut keys. It happens when you try, for instance, to select multiple desktop icons: every 1 second or so (judging by the video Pyros9 made) Nexus would grab the focus back and the icons would get unselected.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Most of the time it's fine but I've found that if I press the "Show Desktop" icon from the quick launch bar or use the short cut keys (Win+D) the desktop icons lose focus again. However, If I minimize all the windows I have open to get back to the desktop, the icons do not lose focus.

Right, I missed this reply because you posted it while I was replying to your previous entry, hehe.

It's normal that the desktop icons lose focus when you press WIN+D - it's because the Nexus dock is being automatically brought to the foreground (otherwise it would remain hidden behind the desktop, like the other windows).

Hmmmmm... I had forgotten all about this feature. It could also be responsible for the focus problems - guess I need more feedback from other users regarding this bug and the new beta.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:02 am 

winstep wrote:
Quote:

Right, I missed this reply because you posted it while I was replying to your previous entry, hehe.

It's normal that the desktop icons lose focus when you press WIN+D - it's because the Nexus dock is being automatically brought to the foreground (otherwise it would remain hidden behind the desktop, like the other windows).

Hmmmmm... I had forgotten all about this feature. It could also be responsible for the focus problems - guess I need more feedback from other users regarding this bug and the new beta.

Just in case I'm confusing things :) - Here's a video...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :shock:

I can't believe that, until you, nobody remembered to mention the 'minor' detail that you had to press WIN+D (i.e.; raise de desktop) first for this bug to rear its ugly head. See? Devil really is in the small details!

Now that I know what is going on, I can fix it and finally release the official version of Nexus. No more wild goose chases and sleepless nights worrying about this bug, whoohooo (Ok, I might be exagerating a bit regarding the later)! :D

Thank you, thank you very much, kind sir! :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, please download Nexus 9.11 beta 3 from:

http://www.winstep.net/nexus-beta.zip

You MUST install this version on top of your current Nexus installation and remember to exit Nexus before running Setup.exe.

If you are running Winstep Xtreme, DO NOT download and install this beta version - a new Winstep Xtreme beta will be comming your way ASAP.

Please let me know if this release fixes the issue with desktop icons losing focus once and for all. I think it will. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:48 pm 

FYI I never use 'show desktop' or Winkey+D but still had the focus problem.
It made it hard to rename desktop icons.
Now it works fine.
Thanks!

winstep wrote:
Please let me know if this release fixes the issue with desktop icons losing focus once and for all. I think it will. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're right. I've been digging deeper and it seems this issue would occur under two distinct situations:

1 - When the user pressed WIN+D (all versions of Windows)

2 - When the user is using Win7's 'Personalize' feature (Win7 only)

The later seems to change the class name of the Desktop window to 'WorkerW', which caused WorkShelf/Nexus to think WIN+D had just been pressed, thus bringing any docks to the foreground (and triggering the bug in 1).

The reason the later is 'fixed' in Win7 now is because the dock is no longer set to be the foreground/active window, but instead raised above the Desktop via an API 'trick'.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: I'm Back
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:08 pm 

And I purchased Winstep! Love the WorkShelf, and Nexus of course.

What's the status of the bug today? I've been gone for about a month, trying to catch up.

Thanks..........Doug

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the Winstep family!

And the status of the bug is... fixed! :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next