Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mikeyo wrote:
my dock is based at the bottom of the desktop

What 3rd party dock theme are you using (with URL for download, please)?

A screenshot of your desktop with what you are seeing would also be nice. :D

Quote:
If the background.ini does not have information regarding the separator bitmap, does this mean that placeholders will just appear as normal bitmaps on the dock? I suppose what I'm ultimately asking, if it would be at all possible to have the placeholder bitmap size and positioning configurable?

The idea is to make a 3rd party dock background appear in Nexus just like it would when using the 3rd party dock - without any user intervention.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:35 pm 

I am using the following...

prowler dock b/g
http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx? ... 0&libid=29

blackops - separator bitmap
http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx? ... 0&libid=29

An example of the problem:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the screenshots.

I downloaded Prowler and that theme does NOT have a native separator bitmap. What seems to be happening here is that you are using a separator bitmap from a different theme but without (or incorrectly) configuring it in the Prowler background INI file.

Errr... I just looked again at your second screenshot, so let me rephrase that:

Separators in Nexus come in one of two possible flavors: as bitmaps in the theme itself (which will NOT magnify and will be displayed for ALL separator items in the dock with a BLANK icon path) _OR_ as icons defined in the Icon Path field of a particular separator item. The later magnifies just as any other icon, and for a good reason: separators in Nexus double up as sub-dock place holders.

The version of Nexus in Winstep Xtreme supports sub-docks. A sub-dock can be attached to any icon in the main dock, in which case that icon will display a sub-dock indicator arrow. Clicking on the sub-dock indicator opens and closes the associated sub-dock. Clicking on the icon itself will launch whatever program/internal command/etc... is associated to it.

There is, however, a problem: with magnifying docks, the sub-dock indicator is a small moving target and therefore hard to hit. To solve this problem you can associate a sub-dock to a separator, in which case clicking the separator itself will open the sub-dock (i.e. you no longer have to chase after the sub-dock indicator arrow). This is where the ability to assign an icon (and a label) to a separator item comes useful: this way you identify the contents of the associated sub-dock.

However, separators as item separators instead of dock place-holders, should always have a blank icon, in which case they retrieve their image from the theme itself (when available, of course, when not available the separator is just a blank space).

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:11 pm 

I added the separator section from blackops to prowler and now I have a nice separator placeholder on my dock :o

Question, the gap between the placeholder and the dock items either side seems to be a bit too much, can this be reduced?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, nope, again because separators in the Winstep Xtreme version of Nexus can be a bitmap *or* an icon, and can host sub-docks. For these reasons, they always take the space of a normal icon.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:08 am 

The subdock triangle bitmap looks really bad with my theme, is it possible to replace it or even remove it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, those aren't exactly the best looking indicators in the world, lol

There is a way to replace them on a theme by theme base, but first open WorkShelf Help and navigate to the Creating Themes ->Theme Bitmaps section. In there, look for 'Nexus Sub-dock Indicators'.

Essentially, IIRC, you have to place 3 16x16 bitmaps/icons in the Nexus theme folder, nxSubC.ico/.png/.tif, nxSubO.ico/.png/.tif and nxSubM.ico/.png/.tif .

I *think* you might get away with using only NxSubC.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:30 pm 

Im not getting this.

1.) How do I save my current nexus theme so I can reuse after changing it?
2.) Can I create a subdock without the indicator?
3.) How do I know what theme I am currently using so that I can place my nxSubC.png bitmap there?
4.) Can the nxSubC bitmap be smaller than 16x16 i.e. 14x14?

I'm just using the nexus dock atm so I am not sure where to put the bitmap.

heeeelp.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1 - You don't need to. All it is required is that the sub-dock indicator bitmaps are in the theme folder and Nexus will automatically use them.

2 - Use a transparent sub-dock indicator bitmap.

3 - Open Nexus Properties -> Theme tab. The currently selected theme is the theme being used by Nexus, so just click on the Open Folder button which will open the theme's location in an Explorer window.

4 - Err, create a 16x16 bitmap and center your 14x14 image in it using Photoshop or something similar. Otherwise your 14x14 image will be stretched to 16x16.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:01 pm 

Ah, got it, no silly triangle bitmap now :)

I have another question...

When I create a subdock it inherits the same dock background as the parent dock. How do I change the subdock b/g to something else? I tried right click on the subdock tile but it doesnt give me an option to change anything, only to add another subdock or a new dock item. I even tried to create a new dock and drag the control icon over to the dock at the bottom of my desktop, this doesnt seem to work either.

What is the best way to create a subdock with a different dock background?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There isn't a way. A sub-dock inherits its settings from the parent dock, and that includes the theme/background.

If you want a dock with a different background, create another dock (or right click on the associated icon and detach the sub-dock from the parent dock), make it a floating dock (i.e. undock it from the screen edge) and enable auto-hide. That way it collapses automatically so only the control icon is visible when not in use - and you can give it a different theme/background.

Powerful stuff, heh? :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:34 pm 

I'll give that a go, thanks for the tip!
The next feature for me will be 'stacks'. I know you can use standalonestacks2 but this is not as good as it can be and making integrated into nexus should give it a whole lot more flexibility. Can we expect stacks anytime soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:11 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

mikeyo wrote:
I'll give that a go, thanks for the tip!
The next feature for me will be 'stacks'. I know you can use standalonestacks2 but this is not as good as it can be and making integrated into nexus should give it a whole lot more flexibility. Can we expect stacks anytime soon?

His focus is on the GUI currently... Most features are delayed till that is finished from what I understood...
/me waits eagerly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep. Besides Stacks, can't wait to add the new NextSTART systray technology to Nexus and WorkShelf! And a calendar module too!

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:07 pm 

oh, on the subject of features and modules - might as well add a digital clock module and lavalys everest (temperature) module while you're at it :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next