Winstep

Software Technologies


 Winstep Forums


Print view
Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
Author Message
 Post subject: Talking Clock question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm
Posts: 3
Hey all,
is there a way to adjust the volume for the talking clock? or shut it up completely? I turned off the narrator in Windows 10 already but the clock doesn't seem to take the hint.
Every hour I get the announcement blasted into my ears at full volume which upsets the neighbors :D

Thanks


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talking Clock question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:38 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9078
Right click on the clock and read the context menu that pops up. One of the options will be 'Disable Time Announcement'.

You can also control the settings of modules/widgets by opening Preferences, navigating to the Modules tab, selecting the module/widget and then clicking the Settings button.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Talking Clock question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm
Posts: 3
Oh man, I could have found that out by myself :lol:
Thanks, matey you helped me alot. And the neighbors too :wink:


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talking Clock question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:00 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9078
playerdark wrote:
Oh man, I could have found that out by myself :lol:
Thanks, matey you helped me alot. And the neighbors too :wink:


LOL My pleasure. :)

Also, remember Windows allows you to set the volume on a per-application basis.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Talking Clock question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Posts: 588
I'm glad this came up. I was about to tell you there was no way to lower the volume for the clock announcement, but my intuition about the awesomeness of Jorge (developer of Winstep) made me check before I leapt since I've only had the latest version for less than two weeks.

I have Winstep Xtreme, so I'm not sure if the following feature is available in all other products.

Go to your speaker icon on the system tray and right-click. Then left-click on Open Volume Mixer.

Then, activate Say The Time. You can access Say The Time easily by right-clicking the clock if it's on your desktop. It should then show up in the Volume Mixer if it wasn't there already as Winstep Media Player. Found that out by accident.

Now you can lower or raise the volume for the Clock Announcement by adjusting the Winstep Media Player slider.

You can do the same thing for the WorkShelf if you have that for the product you're using by activating (bumping) the screen edge wherever WorkShelf is.


EDIT: Oh heck!! I took a short break probably 10 minutes or so and when I finally posted you guys posted all that stuff! :shock: I guess I found another way to do it! :lol:


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talking Clock question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm
Posts: 3
Thanks thats a nice trick. Should be in NextStep, there are a gazillion opetions already, one more wouldn't harm :D
Although I have problemw with the Windows volume mixer, I set all sorts of relative volume levels and when I restart Windows it's all back at full. Or maybe some. I have like 10 different sliders for firefox in there to lower the volume of videos on newssites, but they all restart at full volume.
Oh well I guess that's a Windows problem


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talking Clock question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Posts: 588
playerdark wrote:
Thanks thats a nice trick. Should be in NextStep, there are a gazillion opetions already, one more wouldn't harm :D


I agree! :D

winstep wrote:
Right click on the clock and read the context menu that pops up. One of the options will be 'Disable Time Announcement'.

You can also control the settings of modules/widgets by opening Preferences, navigating to the Modules tab, selecting the module/widget and then clicking the Settings button.


Did I miss something? I don't see where I can control the volume of the clock announcement. I looked everywhere before seeing that post and couldn't find a way, that's why I checked in the Volume Mixer to do it. However, I still don't see a way using the method you've outlined. :?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talking Clock question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9078
Windy wrote:
I agree! :D


I don't. How many more layers of volume settings would we need?

Windows already provides global and per-application volume settings. Enough is enough. :)

Windy wrote:
Did I miss something?


Yep. :)

I was referring to turning off the voice notification.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Talking Clock question
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Posts: 588
Jorge, should the following that I posted some days ago be considered the ideal way to control the volume level of the talking clock announcement and WorkShelf?

Windy wrote:
Go to your speaker icon on the system tray and right-click. Then left-click on Open Volume Mixer.

Then, activate Say The Time. You can access Say The Time easily by right-clicking the clock if it's on your desktop. It should then show up in the Volume Mixer if it wasn't there already as Winstep Media Player. Found that out by accident.

Now you can lower or raise the volume for the Clock Announcement by adjusting the Winstep Media Player slider.

You can do the same thing for the WorkShelf if you have that for the product you're using by activating (bumping) the screen edge wherever WorkShelf is.


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Talking Clock question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:59 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9078
Windy wrote:
Jorge, should the following that I posted some days ago be considered the ideal way to control the volume level of the talking clock announcement and WorkShelf?


Yes, but it must be done right after a voice announcement, otherwise the 'Winstep Media Player' proxy applet might not appear in the Windows mixer.

As discussed in the v17.1 release, the 'Winstep Media Player' (WsMMPlay.exe) is used by the Winstep application as a 'proxy' for playing MP3 files. This is because some buggy MP3 codecs and filters could corrupt memory in the process they were running under, thus causing the host application (in this case the main Winstep application) to randomly crash or exhibit some strange issues.

To prevent the main application from being affected, MP3 files are now always played through a separate Winstep executable (WsMMPlay.exe, or Winstep Media Player).

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: