Winstep

Software Technologies


 Winstep Forums


Print view
Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
Author Message
 Post subject: Prevent Dock from Stealing Focus
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 am
Posts: 5
I managed to set up my dock to be hidden by default, appear with edge bump, and return focus to the previously used window after moving my cursor off the dock.

How can I alter this current behavior but prevent the dock from taking focus? For a real-world example, I want to be able to type in a text document while the dock is open.

Thanks!


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prevent Dock from Stealing Focus
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:46 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9581
Not sure I understand, sorry... when is the dock stealing focus on your example?

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Prevent Dock from Stealing Focus
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 am
Posts: 5
When I activate it with an edge bump.


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prevent Dock from Stealing Focus
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:51 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9581
Are you running Nexus free, Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme? What version?

When you activate the dock with an edge bump, the dock comes forward, but if you move the mouse pointer away from it focus is automatically given back to the application that previously had it (unless you actually *click* on the dock).

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Prevent Dock from Stealing Focus
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:46 am
Posts: 338
winstep wrote:
Are you running Nexus free, Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme? What version?

When you activate the dock with an edge bump, the dock comes forward, but if you move the mouse pointer away from it focus is automatically given back to the application that previously had it (unless you actually *click* on the dock).


i think he wants to be able to activate the dock, but keep focus on the previous window while the dock is shown


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prevent Dock from Stealing Focus
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 am
Posts: 5
seeker wrote:
winstep wrote:
Are you running Nexus free, Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme? What version?

When you activate the dock with an edge bump, the dock comes forward, but if you move the mouse pointer away from it focus is automatically given back to the application that previously had it (unless you actually *click* on the dock).


i think he wants to be able to activate the dock, but keep focus on the previous window while the dock is shown

Yes, this is what I'm looking for.


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prevent Dock from Stealing Focus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 am
Posts: 5
Sorry for the bump, but is this a possibility or not?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prevent Dock from Stealing Focus
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:02 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9581
wavedash wrote:
Sorry for the bump, but is this a possibility or not?


Not currently. I still don't fully understand why being able to activate the dock without it taking focus would be useful. If you want the dock to stay on top of the maximized document while you are typing on it, you can always set it to 'always on top'.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Prevent Dock from Stealing Focus
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 am
Posts: 5
winstep wrote:
wavedash wrote:
Sorry for the bump, but is this a possibility or not?


Not currently. I still don't fully understand why being able to activate the dock without it taking focus would be useful. If you want the dock to stay on top of the maximized document while you are typing on it, you can always set it to 'always on top'.

Honestly, I just want Winstep to behave like how an auto-hidden Windows taskbar does. Hidden, pops up when moused over without messing with anything else. The reason I use docks is their ability to organize icons, as opposed to aesthetics or added functionality.

It seems like you have all the pieces of this functionality, right? Winstep can auto-hide until edge bump. And Winstep can preserve focus on other (maximized) windows while the dock is shown. Why not both at the same time?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: