Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Follow-On To "Apropos Abandonware ETC."
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:40 pm 

Well, the cat's out of the bag, as well as in it at the same time as it were.... We have a new forum, Project Schrödinger's Cat DE! That's our working title or codename for it. Because it is a bit like that, like Schrödinger's Cat. IOW, just as say an electron can be in several places at once, so our project can be both Linux and Windows (and more?).

oOSGearOo especially and I are working very hard to get all the details right etc. for the new forum so at the moment it's still very much in beta as it were.

Anybody who would be interested in getting involved in the discussion please PM either of us and we'll give you directions.

Meanwhile, once I've copied the whole original discussion here for editing into a summary for the new forum I'll post on the original thread (as well as here) to say it's done.

Post subject: Re: Follow-On To "Apropos Abandonware ETC."
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:39 am 

nexter wrote:
Well, the cat's out of the bag, as well as in it at the same time as it were.... We have a new forum, Project Schrödinger's Cat DE! That's our working title or codename for it. Because it is a bit like that, like Schrödinger's Cat. IOW, just as say an electron can be in several places at once, so our project can be both Linux and Windows (and more?).

oOSGearOo especially and I are working very hard to get all the details right etc. for the new forum so at the moment it's still very much in beta as it were.

Anybody who would be interested in getting involved in the discussion please PM either of us and we'll give you directions.

Meanwhile, once I've copied the whole original discussion here for editing into a summary for the new forum I'll post on the original thread (as well as here) to say it's done.
Beta I would have said alpha.
By the way nexter check it out the new forums u asked for.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:34 pm 

Welcome the announcement is here the forum is more or less ready, so for those who want they can come join in the fun. https://technobableprogram.com/forum/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:23 pm 

Err, yeah, we're definitely very much in alpha. And at the moment we're stuck and locked out thanks to yours truly - mea culpa! - making some of the user, group, and forum permissions a tad too secure, LOL!

So, no mad rush to the forum just yet please.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:40 pm 

nexter wrote:
Err, yeah, we're definitely very much in alpha. And at the moment we're stuck and locked out thanks to yours truly - mea culpa! - making some of the user, group, and forum permissions a tad too secure, LOL!

Ok the forum is done and those rushing to it will find that the forum is as it was "LACKING POSTS" for those who want to follow the lost chronicles of
"Apropos Abandonware " nexter has been promising to publish a topic in the forums.

For those who are Admining/moderators you will, a) need to signup and b)be set in your roles,
c) login to see your relevant section.

Iam off to fix the website in the next few days. Domain is
technobableprogram.com for the website and
technobableprogram/forum for the forum

We hope or at least I hope to have the website have links to the forum, this is in all cases still a work in progress.
Many thanks for your patience.

ps. Hopefully this is the end of the maintenance/reinstall of the forum's

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:52 pm 

oOSGearOo wrote:
nexter wrote:

Ok the forum is done and those rushing to it will find that the forum is as it was "LACKING POSTS" for those who want to follow the lost chronicles of
"Apropos Abandonware " nexter has been promising to publish a topic in the forums.

For those who are Admining/moderators you will, a) need to signup and b)be set in your roles,

We hope or at least I hope to have the website have links to the forum, this is in all cases still a work in progress.

Steve, I know you're not the most patient of men and very keen to get going, but we really haven't finished setting up the forums properly just yet - permissions have to be double-checked all over to keep us as safe as can be, and there are a few things that definitely have to be posted in place first, such as forum rules (Im working on it as quickly as I can but it all takes time) and a few other things.

So, we may have reached 'beta' stage as it were, but ready for 'public beta' we are definitely not yet. While there are things like the aforesaid to be done, I for one certainly won't be able to participate in any meaningful discussions on the public forums yet.

Also, for the time being we definitely don't want or need any more admins, and even one glob.mod. will be quite sufficient. (Also, for any potential mod and admin applications, users should have made a certain minimum number of posts.)

Hence, for the time being, please, no big rush to the forum just yet folks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:03 pm 

nexter wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:
nexter wrote:

Steve, I know you're not the most patient of men and very keen to get going, but we really haven't finished setting up the forums properly just yet - permissions have to be double-checked all over to keep us as safe as can be, and there are a few things that definitely have to be posted in place first, such as forum rules (Im working on it as quickly as I can but it all takes time) and a few other things.

So, we may have reached 'beta' stage as it were, but ready for 'public beta' we are definitely not yet. While there are things like the aforesaid to be done, I for one certainly won't be able to participate in any meaningful discussions on the public forums yet.

Also, for the time being we definitely don't want or need any more admins, and even one glob.mod. will be quite sufficient. (Also, for any potential mod and admin applications, users should have made a certain minimum number of posts.)

You don't get it we need all the visitors we can muster, so what if a few rules and things arent there YET. It may not have the royal :P nexters approval but we need to get moving. As form mods/admin we only have one, they need to get in on it, people who do stop by are few and far between as it is. An old teacher at school said "A rolling stone gathers no moss" we don't want to be full of moss do we we/I want to get things going.

Its not like we have 100/1000's of users stopping by ready to post we have but maybe 1/3 visits a day, if that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:57 pm 

oOSGearOo wrote:
nexter wrote:

oOSGearOo wrote:
nexter wrote:

You don't get it we need all the visitors we can muster, so what if a few rules and things arent there YET. It may not have the royal :P nexters approval but we need to get moving. As form mods/admin we only have one, they need to get in on it, people who do stop by are few and far between as it is. An old teacher at school said "A rolling stone gathers no moss" we don't want to be full of moss do we we/I want to get things going.

Its not like we have 100/1000's of users stopping by ready to post we have but maybe 1/3 visits a day, if that.

Steve, there is no getting things going in the first place when there is nothing to discuss yet. For that, the summary of the discussion here needs to be in place first, at the very least. If there's nothing there, the search engines won't have anything to return in search results on related topics/keywords, and without that, no visitors, no new users. Yes, we will need all the users we can get, but nobody wants to come to an empty forum that doesn't even explain what it's all about, what the discussion really is.

The whole thing is still very much in beta as I said above. And as for admins and mods - hell, until we have thousands of users (IF we ever get there!), you and I can surely handle admin duties between us, and even mod duties as well (hell, Jorge handles this forum all on his own with over 4,000 users!), although one separate GlobMod would be useful. Other than that, for anyone to become a mod or admin, they have to demonstrate that they're up to the task, and they should have earned merit.

Anyway, let's take any further discussion of all this to private on our forum. And let's not give mixed/contradictory messages here. We simply aren't ready yet, that's the inescapable truth. Rome definitely wasn't built in a day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:12 pm 

The forum is almost ready now but there's still no content. It's in hand though and we should have some things up there in the next week or two, we hope.

The web site is also being actively worked on and will be available soon after the forum albeit in a small, limited way to begin with.

More when we are ready.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:28 pm 

AlanWade wrote:
Is the ability to reply or create messages disabled? I couldnt seem to mange it, I am talking about your new site of course....

Hi Alan, good to see you reg'd with us, thank you. You should be able to post in the public forums other than 'Forum Rules....' and 'Announcements', but I'll have to check with Steve who has set the permissions. It's possible he temporarily barred posting. Of course, at the moment there is really nothing there to base a discussion on, but I'm working as fast and as hard as I can on posts of a pre-history of the whole thing, a summary of the discussion here so far, and an outline design/architecture. That should provide a solid basis for further discussion, & questions of course. Bear in mind that we are initially totally focused on a - portable, cross-platform - Linux project, or proposed project, as it will be far easier and quicker to develop that and then port to Windows (and others) than the other way around. But any thoughts/queries about a Windows or any other version are at this point always very welcome as well, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:54 pm 

Please note that the original topic 'Apropos "Abandonware" ETC.' is now closed and will be locked shortly and possibly deleted soon after. Until it is locked, please do not post there at all any more.

Any further posts should be posted in this thread. Thank you.

Meanwhile, our 'new home' still isn't quite user-ready. I will post here when it is. We are working very hard on everything in our spare time, and such things do take time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:13 pm 

Greetings we have need for interested parties to get involved.
The Forum now is up and open, thanks to some sterling work on permissions.
https://technobableprogram.com/forum/index.php

Of particular need is someone with textual skills as well as some graphical skills, both digital.

thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:26 pm 

Replied to that in the forums.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:19 pm 

Right, that is it! oOSGearOo's last post here is precisely one of the reasons for what follows. It is wholly unprofessional and just not the way things are done. In the first place once consults with colleagues about anything that could be controversial.

Steve/oOSGearOo seems like a very nice guy really and I have nothing against him personally, but sadly he seems completely incapable of developing a professional attitude where it is needed, and developing, and running and maintaining, a website and forums does require an extremely professional approach, attitude and conduct. (And it takes time and patience!)

Regrettably, I can only conclude that therefore it is pointless to go ahead and co-host my proposed new project with Steve, and in consequence I am withdrawing from the Steve's website and forums, sorry Steve. His site and forum/s are therefore in no way connected with my proposed new project. It may in time find a new home.

Please note that I claim copyright on all my relevant posts both here and there, the name of the proposed project of 'Project Schrödinger's Cat', and any other material in relation to it.

Note to Jorge - Please, in the interest of peace and quiet here, close this topic Jorge, and best delete both threads after a few days.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 14 posts ]