Winstep

Software Technologies


 Winstep Forums


Print view
Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:30 am 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 2184
Location: Here, there, and everywhere
Bummer, how could I have left out the fab 'Some Mothers....' with the amazing Michael Crawford (the original phantom of the opera in the musical later)! 'Rising Damp' is great too and has the same lead actor as 'The Fall and Rise....' in Leonard Rossiter. Make sure it's the 1970s version with Rossiter of Reggie Perrin as there was a 'cleaned up' remake some years ago, with the otherwise excellent Martin Clunes.

Regarding 'Red Dwarf', the '80s ones are the best by far. The later sequels were not a patch on them, the writers were really struggling somewhat and they were made for a different TV network.

Although not strictly a comedy series, 'Doc Martin' - starring the aforementioned Martin Clunes as the eponymous Doc - is always full of laughs. Reminds me a lot of one of my late best friends, a doc with an aversion to blood who was meant to become a surgeon but after a few episodes of fainting and throwing up was allowed to switch to neuro-physiology and after doing his PhD had to switch to psychiatry (because of the racism of that time), and his patient manner was not far away from Doc Martin's! :D Oh, and Ben Miller puts in some brilliant guest appearances in a number of episodes.

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 72
Location: 3rd Rock from The Sun!
OK I shall check out “Doc Martin”. I wore a pair of Doc Martins boots in my youth after all… LOL I see my mate has series 1-10 of it. At this rate maybe a file server is going to be required! I do not have use for an older PC of mine. It is not much use as anything else but I could upgrade the storage in it. And install an SSD for the OS and Bob is your uncle. I also forgot “The Army Game”, “The Arthur Haynes Show” and “The Avengers”. The more of them I add the more of them I remember! Would my British Collection be worth a Penney if I was not to add “Doctor Who”? (I have never watched it yet, but it is one I have been meaning to check out)

Image

Anyhow in the immortal words of Compo-
“How do you get marmalade off a ferret?” Cheers

_________________
Image

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 72
Location: 3rd Rock from The Sun!
Thanks for the recommendation of "Doc Martin" I am hooked after one episode!
Image

_________________
Image

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:28 am 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 2184
Location: Here, there, and everywhere
Sorry for late reply, terribly busy atm.

Yeah, Doc M can be a bit addictive. :D Series 1-10 is all there is and ever will be, plus two Christmas specials, 2021? and 2022. Some of the best of British TV they don't carry on making more when the damn thing expired years before. ;) Rather, they tend to prefer to end on a high. :)

The Avengers is very much of its time and can look a bit dated now, but if you make allowance for that, it was great stuff in its day. There was a later, late '70s sequel called 'The New Avengers', but it really couldn't hold a candle to the originals.

Oh, and re: Doctor Who - it depends who you ask. ;) The original series - 1960s - '80s - were originally aimed at kids, but they had a huge adult following also. Brilliant stuff mostly, mostly made on a shoestring budget, sometimes with very wobbly sets. :D The series was 'revived' in the early '00s on a fairly big budget, started off not too bad but eventually the writing really went to hell, contradicting a lot of things from the 'old' stuff and brown-nosing PC-ism ever more, to the point there's now - get this crap! - a female Doctor! Sick. Whatever next? A Drag Queen!? A Tranny!?

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 72
Location: 3rd Rock from The Sun!
nexter wrote:
Sorry for late reply, terribly busy atm.
Oh, and re: Doctor Who - it depends who you ask. ;) The original series - 1960s - '80s - were originally aimed at kids, but they had a huge adult following also. Brilliant stuff mostly, mostly made on a shoestring budget, sometimes with very wobbly sets. :D The series was 'revived' in the early '00s on a fairly big budget, started off not too bad

Yeah got the first series, I think that will be enough! LOL I got these 3 in the Que figured I would give them a try: "The Witchfinder" "Spy" and "Men Behaving Badly"...
ImageImageImage
Cheers mate try to take it easy as Compo would say "Will there be a pub?!"

_________________
Image

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:53 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 2184
Location: Here, there, and everywhere
Can't speak to the other two, but Men Behaving Badly - often really cringe-making but all the same very funny. Kind of farting in the face of PC-ism and modern 'feminism', which is great. :twisted:

Of course, couldn't get made now. Only just still got away with it back then. Alas! :(

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 72
Location: 3rd Rock from The Sun!
nexter wrote:
Can't speak to the other two, but Men Behaving Badly - often really cringe-making but all the same very funny


Yes "Men Behaving Badly" looks good so far! But Spy and The Witchfinder not so much, Spy is a bit juvenal in humor dumbed down for family audience. The Witchfinder I can see why there was only one series of it... "That was generous for such a suck fest!"

Image Cheers!

Patsy Stone- 'The last mosquito that bit me had to check into the Betty Ford clinic'

_________________
Image

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:03 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 2184
Location: Here, there, and everywhere
Williamsson wrote:
Yes "Men Behaving Badly" looks good so far! But Spy and The Witchfinder not so much, Spy is a bit juvenal in humor dumbed down for family audience. The Witchfinder I can see why there was only one series of it... "That was generous for such a suck fest!"

Cheers!

Patsy Stone- 'The last mosquito that bit me had to check into the Betty Ford clinic'

LOL! Any insect daring to get too close to that woman is doomed! :P Fab character, a real bitch. And something of that IRL - can't stand Lumley, always so full of herself and typical attention seeker.

Sorry for very tardy reply, been and am murderoudly busy. :( And on top of it struggling with a reculcitant digital SLR, always giving trouble with my manual lenses (via adapters). I hate digital - a PITA and the image quality is still crap compared to film, even with the highest MP resolution.

Glad you're enjoying Men Behaving Badly so far. Oh dear, The Witchfinder ""That was generous for such a suck fest!"" - LOL!

Another sitcom series that's worth looking out for is 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' but chances of finding it are probably slim. Extremely un-PC, taking the piss out of both gays and gay prejudice/hatred (there's no such thing a 'gay phobia' or for that matter 'Islamophobia' etc.) and just about everything British, and to cap it all, the ultimate 'sin' nowadays, a white English actor blackened up playing an Indian character with a perfect Indian accent and exchanging the odd sentence or two with two other Indian character (played by Indian-born actors) in absolutely flawless Hindi (he was born and partly grew up in India in colonial times and knew the language inside out). Basically, it's set in India during WW II in an army entertainment corp camp. Mindbogglingly funny it was.

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 72
Location: 3rd Rock from The Sun!
nexter wrote:
Another sitcom series that's worth looking out for is 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' but chances of finding it are probably slim.


OK sold! I have found it series 1-8 downloading now. I also added 'One Foot In The Grave','Still Game', 'The Two Ronnies', 'Black Books', 'Green Wing' and 'Only When I Laugh'. Cheers!
Image

_________________
Image

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:25 am 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 2184
Location: Here, there, and everywhere
Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:
Another sitcom series that's worth looking out for is 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' but chances of finding it are probably slim.


OK sold! I have found it series 1-8 downloading now. I also added 'One Foot In The Grave','Still Game', 'The Two Ronnies', 'Black Books', 'Green Wing' and 'Only When I Laugh'. Cheers!
Image

Wow! Amazed you found It Ain't....! Great stuff. :D

Of the others you mention, One Foot...., The Two Ronnies, and Only When I Laugh are especially good, and of course the brill Richard Wilson - who was actually a good bit younger than his characters - was in both the first and the last. 8)

Trying to wrack my brain for some I know I left out - more when I remember.

BTW, amazing number of views - must tickle a few people's funny bone! ;)

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 72
Location: 3rd Rock from The Sun!
nexter wrote:
BTW, amazing number of views - must tickle a few people's funny bone! ;)


Oh my! Must be lurkers about!!!

Image

It is free to play! Even AI bots can play!!

Image


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:42 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 2184
Location: Here, there, and everywhere
Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:
BTW, amazing number of views - must tickle a few people's funny bone! ;)


Oh my! Must be lurkers about!!!

Image

Yeah, them lurkers! Amazing number lately....
It is free to play! Even AI bots can play!!

Image

Oh good! That would be cancer removal. :twisted:

Here's an absolute classic from the '70s I almost forgot - 'I Didn't Know You Cared'. Brilliant northern sitcom by brill playwright Peter Tinniswood, started life as a play for TV but he then was persuaded to make it into a sitcom as well.

And from late '70s/early '80s, 'Billy Liar', also based on a play IIRC, and later made into a movie and if memory serves a musical as well.

Moving into the '80s, another classic was 'Hi Di Hi', set in a holiday camp around the '50s. I'm sure there are more, but my memory isn't what it used to be. ;)

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 72
Location: 3rd Rock from The Sun!
nexter wrote:
Here's an absolute classic from the '70s I almost forgot - 'I Didn't Know You Cared'. Brilliant northern sitcom by brill playwright Peter Tinniswood, started life as a play for TV but he then was persuaded to make it into a sitcom as well.

And from late '70s/early '80s, 'Billy Liar', also based on a play IIRC, and later made into a movie and if memory serves a musical as well.

Moving into the '80s, another classic was 'Hi Di Hi', set in a holiday camp around the '50s. I'm sure there are more, but my memory isn't what it used to be. ;)


Thanks I will have a look at them once my travels are done! I also see you are reviewing Mullvad I been using it ever since Librewolf got crappy for me. I kind of like it as my second browser when I need more security but for daily driver I still am looking from a replacement for librewolf. Currently giving Waterfox a go but not hopeful for it. I need a Mozilla based browser rather than a chromium based one for general crap.
Google Is just creepy level spyware!
Image

_________________
Image

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:54 am 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 2184
Location: Here, there, and everywhere
Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:
Here's an absolute classic from the '70s I almost forgot - 'I Didn't Know You Cared'. Brilliant northern sitcom by brill playwright Peter Tinniswood, started life as a play for TV but he then was persuaded to make it into a sitcom as well.

And from late '70s/early '80s, 'Billy Liar', also based on a play IIRC, and later made into a movie and if memory serves a musical as well.

Moving into the '80s, another classic was 'Hi Di Hi', set in a holiday camp around the '50s. I'm sure there are more, but my memory isn't what it used to be. ;)


Thanks I will have a look at them once my travels are done! I also see you are reviewing Mullvad I been using it ever since Librewolf got crappy for me. I kind of like it as my second browser when I need more security but for daily driver I still am looking from a replacement for librewolf. Currently giving Waterfox a go but not hopeful for it. I need a Mozilla based browser rather than a chromium based one for general crap.
Google Is just creepy level spyware!

More than creepy level, more like extremely dangerous level spyware, anything Google. :( I tried entering in my Linux Terminal app : "$ sudo kill Google kill kill kill" but alas, it replied no such command. Damn! :P

As for Mullvad Browser, it's not so much a review as such but rather just an overview and tips on configuring it for maximum privacy and security. So far, I rather like it - always thought it would be a good idea to have a kind of TOR Browser without the TOR network - but I wouldn't like to use it straight out of the box, so to speak. There were quite a lot of settings that I had to change still before I allowed it to connect to anything. Still, for some things it certainly won't replace Firefox here yet, let alone TOR Browser of course. Those latter two suit me perfectly, with TOR accounting for pretty much 90% of my browsing activity. For added privacy and security, I sometimes use TAILS with Proton VPN thrown in, or a bootable Linux stick likewise with Proton VPN and TOR Browser, and Firefox. But Mullvad Browser may yet also find a permanent place on my main systems. :)

However, I certainly wouldn't touch the Mullvad VPN with a very long pole. While it does have some interesting aspects, it offers nothing of the flexibility, versatility and security of Proton VPN, and I just don't trust it enough, being subject to Swedish law and with Sweden joining NATO and 14 Eyes, etc. Also many of its servers are rented so not entirely under their control.

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 72
Location: 3rd Rock from The Sun!
nexter wrote:
However, I certainly wouldn't touch the Mullvad VPN with a very long pole. While it does have some interesting aspects, it offers nothing of the flexibility, versatility and security of Proton VPN, and I just don't trust it enough, being subject to Swedish law and with Sweden joining NATO and 14 Eyes, etc. Also many of its servers are rented so not entirely under their control.


Yes I fill the same about Mullvad VPN and use Proton in place of it. Although I am giving Linux Mint a try I can tell I prefer Ubuntu more. But sadly I still use Windows and that is why I am a bitter old man now!
Image

_________________
Image

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nezbit and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: