Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 37 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Apropos "Abandonware", ETC.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:34 pm 

nexter wrote:

I am a bit sorry to have started that, but to be brutal I havent YET!! seen a responce to it, no reply from Jorge(expected) this is a close to it I have seen and not from Jorge. I am sure Jorge is perfecting the new version whatever that end number ends up being.

nexter wrote:

Engaging in Linux programing / apps thats where I have been for over a year now. I got a new small form facter pc that came with windows on it hence me bying a copy again from Jorge/winstep. If Jorge was to develop an item for the OS on the other side then I for one would be delighted to run it. Most if not all the docks have hit the buffer in Linux and are for at least one I know off not developed anymore.

nexter wrote:

Doing something new would have a responce, I dont know why the pace has slowed but part of the payment is for more development. MS is moving forward and multi tasking is where its at they have moved to a free desktop enviroment embracing more and more of the free inux enviroment as it goes.

nexter wrote:

I am certainly thinking of the nexus, and shelves(main) being an ideal candidate for cross platform generation.

nexter wrote:

Hmm new form, New yes form...... certainly the power of shelf would be intresting to see.

nexter wrote:
Hmm you go on to mention Linux however Android is based around the ideas of........ Mac I am against that ethos, I have not been envolved with mac or seen their products for a while however I would be against being tied down which is at the essence of said ..........

nexter wrote:

I welcome youre thoughts on linux "Nexter" I think that along with the other portions mentiond above(OS's) that the Next-start is one and only one that whould not fit in(so well), the other parts of xtreem would/should be able to be cross platform idea. I would be keen on testing and helping out on the linux/windows/android platforms that I now presently own and work with on a daily base's.
nexter wrote:

One way off thinking I like the idea of what you perpose "Nexter" Ive carved up your post inserting my own Ideas/and thoughts. What I would derarly love is the orther's responce to this. I am a programer at heart and would welcome getting in on somthing like this. Programing alongside with an highly experienced programer as head/lead.

I think that it would not be hard to do. I have experience only on the linux side of things and can see how easy it would be to take/fork a few programs and make something worth while out off it. Quite how to do it one whould have only to look at a few githubs and adapt. I have dabled with ideas and thoughts above my head but something has to happen here. Jorge!!

:Moderator's note - 'nexter' quotes removed. - nexter:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:05 pm 

I strted out with the idea off quoting you and your comments I got lost in it all u(nexter) quoting me quoting you........ I quote your call at the end.

Well I dont know about Ubuntu, Iam running a cutting edge Arch based system ArcoLinux, basically I am more Kubuntu a kde plasma guy. Debian ah been there, I moved onto KdeNeon(briefly) before moving to ArcoLinux in ever chasing the bells and whistles, rather than being stuck in a stable Debian past.

Thinking on different metaphors/paradigms I have seen a few ideas over time circle docks you name it. The humble rightclick I think is the best idea that is. a mouse has two buttons line up something for the right one or second one to do. you mention Wayland a protocol and Compice a quick scroll through Google dug’up a wiki on wayland but “Compice” I am not sure quite what you meant.

Shelves less effects/Eye candy
Now I dont know something has to look good to flourish, certainly would have to look good. You go on to mention skin-able then let the user put in the eye-candy. I like your idea of personality's variations.

The thing about nextstart is for me as a newcomer to it very startmenu when windows did away with the startmenu or changed it a while back. It would not be needed as you point out on the Gnu/linux as the menu is customizable. Although Ive yet to come across it. hmmm DE or a plug-in for a DE.
Helping out I think we would all jump at it. But I think we would have to first chose the language one that is as cross platform as possible, You mention C or to be more precise “Objective C” I am not sure how that would flourish or work on a windows system, or others. To be truly cross-platform I guess would be assembly based but I would not want to try to program objects in assembly.

Not sure why you think Debian would be a good start, apart from stability. If it was to be Linux/GnuLinux starting place I would not like to tie myself down to something as slow moving as that.

nexter wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:02 am 

nexter wrote:

Will see what Jorge wants to do. I have a domain .com and co.uk website being built. Thinking wordpress plus plugins/plugin for forum can set you up on the admin side when done. What say you to that?

oOSGearOo wrote:
Well I dont know about Ubuntu, Iam running a cutting edge Arch based system ArcoLinux, basically I am more Kubuntu a kde plasma guy. Debian ah been there, I moved onto KdeNeon(briefly) before moving to ArcoLinux in ever chasing the bells and whistles, rather than being stuck in a stable Debian past.

Arcolinux any desktop you want is on the download site just run up a VM Nexter and try it out, far more stable than you may think.

nexter wrote:
Yes I have more mice than cheese I have ones with extra buttons on them and so on. The middle button is usualy under the scroller.

oOSGearOo wrote:
Shelves less effects/Eye candy

The thing about nextstart is for me as a newcomer to it very startmenu when windows did away with the startmenu or changed it a while back. It would not be needed as you point out on the Gnu/linux as the menu is customizable. Although Ive yet to come across it. hmmm DE or a plug-in for a DE.
Agreed.

oOSGearOo wrote:
Helping out I think we would all jump at it. But I think we would have to first chose the language one that is as cross platform as possible, You mention C or to be more precise “Objective C” I am not sure how that would flourish or work on a windows system, or others. To be truly cross-platform I guess would be assembly based but I would not want to try to program objects in assembly.

Objective C or C++ one or the other this is wizzing along, I would like the item to be as crossplatform as possible. I know little about what will compile and run on win/linux/...
One plus is that I have several books on C++

nexter wrote:

wooo thats some chunk of words.

nexter wrote:

Well I set out at the start what I have two domains available hows about starting somthing there. Seting you up with email/admin rights ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:41 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:

That's the main reason I didn't reply.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:18 pm 

Starting again nexter quoting oOSgearOo getting in a jumble ile do my best.

-- oOSGearOo wrote:
Moving talks

I am uncertain as to moving this to some Linux code forum hmm. I don’t know of many straight fitting linux forum Nexter. I understand the desire to have others involved but I like the fact that its just us at the moment. We are in a windows based forum thanks to Jorge if he chooses to move this to off topic then so be it. I think we are uncertain yet as to what kind of venture it is, we/I talk off cross platform something possible rightclickIsh with you talking about srtart programs ..., me thinking about docks grid-stacks customization and the like.

-- oOSGearOo wrote:
ArcoLinux Nexter VM Cinnamon

The(ArcoLinux) has all the flavors that u could want, cinnamon being one Ive dabbled with to.

-- oOSGearOo wrote:
Mice many buttons.

I have a/2/3 mice with 10 or more buttons under the thumb on the mouse. Presently I using a Corsair mouse with just one button under the thumb & configurable RGB ...

nexter wrote:

As stated above I know off no other Linux forums forums that would be as accommodating and good as old Jorge is being with us here, with a possible move to “off topic”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:21 pm 

DesertDwarf wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:

So whats your thoughts on it DesertDwarf?
-:-Edit
Just chip in with a few words they dont have to be as complex as
nexter wrote:

:moderator's note - 'nexter' quote removed. - nexter:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:41 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:
DesertDwarf wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:

nexter wrote:

Well, first, I like the idea of a discussion board to flesh out our thoughts.

I think a discussion about a new product could be really cool. Even if it doesn't come out as a new product, with Jorge peeking over our shoulders (or even adding his thoughts), there might be new ideas he could implement in Winstep.

:Moderator's note - 'nexter' quote removed. - nexter:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:27 am 

DesertDwarf wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:

nexter wrote:

DesertDwarf wrote:

I think a discussion about a new product could be really cool. Even if it doesn't come out as a new product, with Jorge peeking over our shoulders (or even adding his thoughts), there might be new ideas he could implement in Winstep.

Yes a discussion board I like that maybe Jorge could transfer this to off topic and we could discuss further there, I know Nexter wants to go to an Linux developer forum but I like the idea of ‘Off topic’ preferable to an new forum where strangers may stop by.
With the idea as you say Jorge may want to chip in, add comments or try implementing it in Winstep.

:Moderator's note - 'nexter' quote removed. - nexter:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:24 pm 

Well That was that Unless someone talks and chats there is no point in going further.

I must like talking to myself, I am in the middle of setting up forums I have to wait while they disentangle my com domain and then I can assign it to the WordPress hosting. Nexter I know you said not to bother but iam doing it anyway in or out.

Ive been looking into C++ taking some baby steps in the language hello world and the like.

So apart from starting out small with maybe rightclick or other mouse events and programs, internal commands...

Iam writing this on linux getting the benefit of a spell checker.

Wondering how you got on with Arcolinux Nexter run up cin... type skell and reboot, its very stable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:28 pm 

Hi both Nexter and Desert dwarf have private messages, keep it private for now guys.
The state off play is that the website is still under construction, also a forum exists.
nexter wrote:

I like this and as you say it does not matter what distro we end up going for.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:36 pm 

oosgearoo wrote:
I like this and as you say it does not matter what distro we end up going for.

nexter wrote:

Keys: I get that, composting window manager and stable Kernel, so are you wanting to do/go for something as far back as Debian ultra stable an Cinnamon keen on GnuLinx not sure if we want to grab or go as far as Debian though!??

nexter wrote:

Yup there are a lot of pages to look at however there is also the download pages/site maybe a look in Firefox wonted be to bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:09 pm 

nexter wrote:

Iam cool with Debian/Fedora... as you say though not Ubuntu based I agree to much hassle.
The desktop environment then you say wont matter but we have to develop on a platform of some description we cant program on nothing. I think Ive mentioned it, Iam KDE/Plasma based, where I would like to start out this venture, I understand it and prefer it.

nexter wrote:

Well at ArcoLinux they like you to learn, the head is an academic an if you ask a question that's not been covered before he makes a YouTube vid about it usually. So the channel on the internet has all the answers,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:33 pm 

DesertDwarf wrote:

Well Im stuck Ive stopped developing, as jonney5 said "Need Input" I have sent you both msg's the new home needs polish ok there is a forum in the new home ready, for input.

Nexter wrote:

:Moderator's note- 'nexter' quotes removed. - nexter:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:00 pm 

oOSGearOo wrote:
DesertDwarf wrote:

Well Im stuck Ive stopped developing, as jonney5 said "Need Input" I have sent you both msg's the new home needs polish ok there is a forum in the new home ready, for input.
Nexter wrote:

Throw it in there if it can be done we will make it do it, if not then we will have to compromise. You have PM's N_Ric hope they help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:34 pm 

nexter wrote:

Are you thinking of forking an desktop, or going from scratch?

Nexter wrote:

Win7 hmm old hat iam on win10/Arch/and a test-bench for the beta's of Arcolinux-/-also have a server running Arcolinux as well but that has not been fired up for 3-4 month.

Nexter wrote:
Yes we will settle in and do a summary and everything Iam slightly lost when you talk about wayland via X X is all I know. Of to read your pm.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 37 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next