Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Apropos "Abandonware", ETC.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:03 pm 

nexter wrote:

oOSGearOo wrote:
Are you thinking of forking an desktop, or going from scratch?

nexter wrote:

Thats a tall order thinking about it I know nothing of course, but wayland DE unforked O-o

Nexter wrote:
well once your well enough I look forward to this input you seem to have done well enough for now anyway.

Nexter wrote:

It probably does do it that way I just use the finished product.

:moderator's note - 'nexter' quotes removed. - nexter:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:35 pm 

Nexter wrote:

We started out on the windows side, but end up talking on the linux side, but one thing I get from this is that the whatever it is 64-bit.

So we want to go for some off Winstep's elements. I hope that's cool with Jorge? But in a new way/form, with some new elements. Like?

Nexter wrote:

Here we go back to Windows/Android.
We wondered away from Windows again to Linux, I suppose to develop for both, is easy enough, in my minds eye.
If OS=winblows then
{win code}
Else Linux then........
The difference?

Nexter wrote:

Well we have to decide if this is a Linux/Windows/Android project or involve all.
I like the idea of being supported by donations and sponsorship, although when I think on it going down the sponsorship route I don't like the idea off inserting names into things, perhaps having a credits box or something.
Sales I don't know if we could that kinda goes against the grain, I suppose we could design the desktop(for want of a better word), then charge for a dock or some other wiz bang item on top.

Nexter wrote:

I have liked the idea of AI for a long time one that's coming to the for in some operations/styles although iam not in favor of inserting things just to make up the bulk of things just to make it look good. I think of searches I do with shopping and the results are never JUST what you asked for.

DesertDwarf wrote:
Well, first, I like the idea of a discussion board to flesh out our thoughts.I think a discussion about a new product could be really cool. Even if it doesn't come out as a new product, with Jorge peeking over our shoulders (or even adding his thoughts), there might be new ideas he could implement in Winstep.

I to would love to get Jorge involved how about it? Jorge?
We already have a new home (in mind Jorge sign you up?) Iam going over all the old stuff in the thread and trying to stir the pot. One thing tho DD(and others) get involved :o :shock: plz.

Nexter wrote:

Nexter wrote:

Yes that is a good idea. I hope your well enough soon. If you included some graphics into it[different paradigms and metaphors] so much the better.

:Moderator's note - 'nexter' quotes removed. - nexter:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 am 

DesertDwarf wrote:
Well, first, I like the idea of a discussion board to flesh out our thoughts.I think a discussion about a new product could be really cool. Even if it doesn't come out as a new product, with Jorge peeking over our shoulders (or even adding his thoughts), there might be new ideas he could implement in Winstep.

oOsgearOo wrote:
I to would love to get Jorge involved how about it? Jorge?
We already have a new home (in mind Jorge sign you up?) Iam going over all the old stuff in the thread and trying to stir the pot. One thing tho DD(and others) get involved :o :shock: plz.

You in it for windows side, linux side or in general DDwarf?

By the way I know we are down but hopefully not for long fella's

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:14 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I recently installed Linux, but have not been using it very much, sadly. It's been a couple of weeks since I booted it. So, I would be a Windows user, primarily.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:22 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Out of interest, which distro/flavour did you install? And multi-boot or in a VM?

Mint and as a multi-boot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 am 

nexter wrote:

yeah this being a windows based(so to speak) forum, given that all the other people here reading this are windows users. I just was trying to interest them and see if we could gain some fans. Lets face it so far 99% of this is you and me, as you say that's how it became Linux orientated. ok will pick this up latter on on the comment.

nexter wrote:

nexter wrote:
OK
Nexter wrote:
Yes I just think as stated above this being a windows forum,,,,,,,,,,
nexter wrote:

Crowd funded/Pateron here we go, heheh. Yeah ok part off the idea of the 'new home(web)'
that is still down or up in the air. Tech suport have it until monday when I get paid if not fixed by then, iam changing my hosting.
nexter wrote:
Yes charging for it is an option
nexter wrote:

Iam not a wiz with graphics, hence no logo on the old now down new home. I have taken the limirrty off inserting bold in your comments nRic hope you dont mind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:30 am 

nexter wrote:

I have no problems with setting up WordPress, I have been trying to setup forums as per the request of a certain indiviual so to speak, I went and tried phpBB forums its the "hostings company" one click installer which is not up to snuff. It boils down to the fact of money paying for a new deal on hosting the domain can be transferred.
However the present hosting have brought in a techie person to fix said forum installer, they seem to be dragging there heals over getting it fixed. That dragging is going to cost them trade in the long run.
I can always revert to the forum we had before, but if its worth doing its worth doing right.

:Moderator's note - 'nexter' quote removed. - nexter:

Last edited by oOSGearOo on Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:53 pm 

nexter wrote:

Not sure of the time scale this maybe distant memories once we get started on windows but once we do start does that mean that we are going to drop this posting back and forth?
I like the idea that this posting about it would eventually transfer into blog posts/forum postings of our own. How to keep the windows aspect in view/online while we go?
Not sure if we could make small steps advancement on top to keep the windows going on while we do this de/or what ever it is. Iam concerned about keeping the windows land going. Given that we are A)in windows land, B)Going to branch to our own doing(Forum-land) we need to keep the first idea off cross platform going, are we thus forgetting about other platforms namely Android and others? How many platforms are we targeting now, we started talking of windows drifted to Linux and have forgotten the others! But Android is a branch of Linux.....

nexter wrote:

Yes Linux has always been for the most 80/90% free based,
Nexter wrote:

oOSGearOo wrote:
Yes charging for it is an option

So thus being know for free based software the soliciting of donations, and sponsorship main area for finance. I don't know if we could just do sponsorship and donations, I mean who is going to benefit from it, I guess that's another can of worms.
nexter wrote:

Right a team I think you said 10/12 devs, we need to think about things.

nexter wrote:

Well can you come up with a smallish logo just now for the new home at least. I can get you some firm dimensions, if you want. Should not be hard, as for you design outline architecture, hows that going? Where is it to be published?

nexter wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:12 pm 

oOSGearOo wrote:
I have no problems with setting up WordPress, I have been trying to setup forums as per the request of a certain indiviual so to speak, I went and tried phpBB forums its the "hostings company" one click installer which is not up to snuff. It boils down to the fact of money paying for a new deal on hosting the domain can be transferred.
However the present hosting have brought in a techie person to fix said forum installer, they seem to be dragging there heals over getting it fixed. That dragging is going to cost them trade in the long run.
I can always revert to the forum we had before, but if its worth doing its worth doing right.

Yeah it will be sorted don't worry. As for setting up the forum/phpBB will tackel that once I get access. I don't like the way the company are handling it all this waiting around I see no work being done. No it was not requested however it was hinted it was not the same as. Iam paying for the hosting anyway I would not discribe myself as happy there(original)anyway, so the idea of change is going to be ok the only thing ile miss is the 24/7 support, however the support is down to a antiquauted style, I would be transferring to cpanel hosting so hopefully it would be better.

I await your reply to the big post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'll add the site to my daily rotation of links (sites I visit at least once a day). Of the primary reasons I've been reticent to discuss this here is, well, let me give you an example:

About 30 years ago, I used to sell Commodore Amiga computers at a computer store that only sold Amiga. This was in Phoenix, Arizona.

Before I tell the rest of this, I think of the owner as a sniveling snot of a man. I worked for him and while I'm a short guy and was younger than him by about 10 years, I looked down on him in every way possible except physically. He was whiney, emotional, cruel, and mean-tempered. During the short time I worked for him, his wife of 10 or so years left him and their two kids to live with her frog lover.

My second day there, a customer called me from Tucson (next largest city in Arizona, about 1.5 hours from our store) and introduced himself as a long-time customer of Henry's and stating he knows how Henry works. He assured me I would get the sale (we salespeople were base salary plus a commission) of a new Amiga system if I would go check out a certain model in back, make sure the box was not a return, and mark it as reserved. When he got there a few hours later, he identified himself to me, I got the computer, rang it up and sold it to the guy. We walked out to the car together and he explained that he'd been witness to Henry receiving a returned computer, cleaning it up in the front of the store in front of other customers, and then selling it as new to an unsuspecting customer a couple of hours later.

Well, that was disappointing. I later went to work for a competing store with a much cooler boss.

But, one of the most reprehensible acts I saw in Henry's store was not by him, but against him. Atari ST users often saw Amiga users as "the enemy." And any store that sold only Amigas was fair game. So, they would come in and cause dissension by discussing their favorite computer, often starting arguments and occasionally stealing a say from us. I don't recall there being an Atari ST store like the two (later three) Amiga stores. You usually bought those at a big box store.

It got Henry (and us salespeople) so upset. This was affecting my paycheck.

Now, I know Jorge's now-frequent and now-long absences are not helping. We know a previous lapse was due to a personal relationship ending and that's understandable. However, it would not be difficult for Jorge to get on and make a quick announcement saying he needed a break.

But, I detest the idea that we are discussing a replacement and, potentially, a competing product on his forums. I consider this (from the very beginning) to have been spam because of which forum it's in and it has always made me uncomfortable to talk about it here. It seems very uncouth to me.

For me, this particular topic is finished. I won't participate in a discussion here on Jorge's site unless he sanctions it. Also, this should always have been started in Off-topic, not here.

I refuse to be like those Atari ST users that I grew to (mostly) despise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:01 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

To a certain degree I alas have to agree with you, DD_Ric. Yes, this thread belongs in 'Off Topic', no argument. I did say so after the first couple of posts. (But of course Jorge being AWOL it stayed here. Of course, the whole thing began with regard to the possibility that one day - not necessarily all that far in the future - Jorge might need/want a replacement for Winstep. (See the initial post.) And the discussion quickly took on a life of its own. Competing product, not really - a), we really would like Jorge onboard to do a Windows version if it suits him, and b), we're really essentially talking about a very different Linux product, albeit with a Windows etc. version in the not so near future if possible.

However, I strongly disagree with your Atari-Users-in-Amiga-Store analogy. It simply does not fit. Especially given that we're all very dedicated Winstep users and that I myself have been with the project since the beginning.

And by the by, sure, some Atari users were pretty loutish, but we can't tar them all with that brush. E.G. I knew several Atari users who used it purely for the midi and the music apps, but used other hardware for everything else, including Amigas.

Anyway, ideally we should continue the discussion elsewhere, or at least continue in 'Off Topic' - suggested subject header for that 'A New GUI' perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:56 am 

nexter wrote:

I have to agree with the summery that this belongs in off topic, you go on to mention N_Ric/Nexter moving manualy to off topic. Why not to the new forums, I just went and uptadted a new domain/vps hosting/ and are in the process off installing wordpress and phpBB forums(all off our own). This did not come FREE so I have receipts pending as it where, should we go down some funded route.

DesertDwarf wrote:
However, it would not be difficult for Jorge to get on and make a quick announcement saying he needed a break.

Anyway adding to it, we have practical begged Jorge to get involved. We are not DesertDwarf going out in competition to him, far from it we wish him to get involved and for him even to benefit financially to. I is not to long ago that I shelled out and upgraded my Winstep license.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:04 pm 

nexter wrote:

Its been a few days, err you have pm's Nexter

We are up with the new home, Nexter can you try and join the phpBB forum, plz.
Ile (step/set you up) you up after you join.

Anyone is welcome please be aware that this is still under development both the website and the forum. If you would like in on the topic apply within as they say send me a pm or post here. these are the first baby steps. It should help us not spam Jorge;s forum.

Calling all members be in on the ground floor at the experimental forum/website/project

JORGE we would love to have you onboard.
DesertDwarf just send me a pm and your in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:50 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Perhaps you could move this thread to "Off Topic" when you get a chance Jorge? MTIA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:35 pm 

Hi
Many thanks to all involved this is the start off something hopefully we will gain more momentum and make some real progress. I appeal to all who maybe just want to read or perhaps do more. send nexter, DesertDwarf, or me a pm and we will hook you up in the new form. thanks again and ile leave the final words to nexter via the quote below.

nexter wrote:

Perhaps you could move this thread to "Off Topic" when you get a chance Jorge? MTIA.

:Moderator's note - 'nexter' quote edited. - nexter:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next